What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT The Storms last finals series

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
We wont see them there again for quite a while.
Too much of a player drain & they are paying too much for players past their prime in Smith, Slater & Cronk.
Other clubs are moving into optimum salary cap positions.
I thought we & the Knights are the only teams to have exposed their over compressed style of defense which used Slater & his now outlawed shoulder charge as backup, by flanking them with early wide passing.
I would not be surprised to see Melbourne start a complete rebuilding phase now & release all of the big 3.
Its over for the cheats.

island pro

Juniors
You may well be right on some fronts, but the big three still have huge value and I don't think they will be letting them go early. Storm proved to be a top notch side all year.

ghoti

Bench
They'll sneak into the eight again next year, but I agree that their era of dominance is at an end. How long is Bellamy contracted for? I can see him leaving at the end of the next one. They'll need someone who can coach a side without being gifted the four (then three) best players in the game in the one side...

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
They cant bring the players they need to the club while paying 3 players a millions dollars each a season.
its in the best interests of all 3 players that they take their experience to other clubs.
I reckon Smith will go to the Broncos & maybe even next year.
Their game plan wont work anymore. The shoulder charge rule has a huge affect on them.

Vin Fizz

Bench
I hear what you're saying on the defensive side of the game. Don't think they'll be starving teams of points like they used to. Its got me fugged why they rushed Widdop back tbh. They seemed to be traveling ok under Finch and to my knowledge didnt win another game with Widdop. I reckon their structure in attack seemed ok but their timing was razzed once Widdop came into the side (long lay off). They still open up defences but just haven't had that clinical finish they once had. They just signed Georgie Rose for 2 years. Not sure what that says about them.

Last edited:

Since 73

First Grade
I had $20 on Knights HF/ Storm FT @ $7.50.

18-16 and Buderus walks a metre to take Slater out.

Every official misses it.

Everybody else saw it.

18-18 and Storm finish over the top of them.

Marchad

Juniors
Craig Bellamy probably has his eye on the next Cameron Smith and Billy Slater unlike our coach Craig Bellamy has a good eye for future talent.

shadowboxer

First Grade
I don't know Reefster, I don't think you've had a good track record this year.
Reef also made the prediction Storm wouldnt make the 8.
Then again there impact was below par, out in straight sets.
No offence Mr Reef.
Further, i predicted i we wouldnt make the 8 a month or so out, an the last few weeks i became a bit of a believer, amazing what a few trips to the church that is Allianz stadium with a mass of pumped up sharks fans can do to change your view.

webShark

Too much of a player drain & they are paying too much for players past their prime in Smith, Slater & Cronk.
I thought we & the Knights are the only teams to have exposed their over compressed style of defense which used Slater & his now outlawed shoulder charge as backup, by flanking them with early wide passing.
I would not be surprised to see Melbourne start a complete rebuilding phase now & release all of the big 3.
Its over for the cheats.

Past their prime maybe but not by much. They are still 3 of the best players in the world. They have some decent youngsters and a top coach. I think they may struggle to make Top 4 but will make the 8. Hampton looks very promising and Mclean and Bromwich decent young props. Rose is a typical Bellamy signing. Probably get good value from him. With our problems , I would take the Storm to finish above us.

Dont next year the Storm NSW cup will be based out of Albury so they will be stand alone, be interesting to see what this impact has on the first grade team as well

Its over for the cheats.

Mate, I think its over for the Sharks. Not withstanding the off field dramas, i think peptides only remain in the system for a period of 10 months before the body completely flushes it out. Watch out for side effects in the big four - including enlarged jaw line, reduced testes and a cramped running style.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Mate, I think its over for the Sharks. Not withstanding the off field dramas, i think peptides only remain in the system for a period of 10 months before the body completely flushes it out. Watch out for side effects in the big four - including enlarged jaw line, reduced testes and a cramped running style.
Already actively recruiting for next year with 3 real good buys. 3 spots to go.
Storm - Widdop, Ryles, Finch, Hinchcliff Hampton being offered massive overs everywhere & the only signing George Rose.
Awesome.

Latest posts