What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other games 2024

Pomoz

Bench
Benji playing Api as a front rower 🤣
Somehow, presumably because he has friends in the media and he seems like a nice guy, Benji escapes criticism.

Last year he just about run the team as assistant coach and Tim was announced to be leaving early. They got the wooden spoon.

In the off season he released Laurie, currently playing brilliant football for Penrith, he released Blore, currently playing well for the Storm.

This year he is the coach. They are probably getting the wooden spoon again. His assistant coach has decided to leave, their star second rower has signed with the premiers and their gun junior prop has signed with the Storm. A senior player has complained that Benji treats them worse than the rookies.

He has no prior experience as a coach. Being a brillant player doesnt make you a good coach. Barrett is the most recent example of that. I just don't get it. Why is there no criticism of him?

I think Luai has dropped a monumental bollock by signing for the Tigers. The smoke around people leaving indicates at the very least, there are fires burning.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
If the Tigers turn it around under Benji I'll be very surprised. My gut feel is he is out of his depth.

Recruitment of Luai and Turuva sounds great. But it's at the expense of Stefano, Papali'i and likely Bateman. That's 500 games of NRL forward experience out the door replaced by...?

Recruitment still needs work and Benji at the earliest possible opportunity needs to go. Richardson still has a lot of work to do.

soc123_au

Staff member
If the Tigers turn it around under Benji I'll be very surprised. My gut feel is he is out of his depth.

Recruitment of Luai and Turuva sounds great. But it's at the expense of Stefano, Papali'i and likely Bateman. That's 500 games of NRL forward experience out the door replaced by...?

Recruitment still needs work and Benji at the earliest possible opportunity needs to go. Richardson still has a lot of work to do.
Bateman has been hot garbage since his Raiders stint. If they get out of that contract it's good business.

Fangs

Coach
Bateman has been hot garbage since his Raiders stint. If they get out of that contract it's good business.

Yes but the next step is just as important.

Penrith can replace experience with a junior because we've got the best production line in the world.

The Tigers can't just copy paste our top level strategy. When our guys debut they look like they are ready to play at NRL level.

The Tigers are dead last in cup.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yes but the next step is just as important.

Penrith can replace experience with a junior because we've got the best production line in the world.

The Tigers can't just copy paste our top level strategy. When our guys debut they look like they are ready to play at NRL level.

The Tigers are dead last in cup.
Tigers have some decent prospects. They need someone that can put the jigsaw together and add a few missing pieces.

Pomoz

Bench
Maybe, but with two other decent forwards choosing to leave, you have to question the morale at the Tigers. If Benji was a good coach, would they be leaving?

soc123_au

Staff member
Maybe, but with two other decent forwards choosing to leave, you have to question the morale at the Tigers. If Benji was a good coach, would they be leaving?
I dont think anyone is suggesting Benji is a good coach. Doesn't excuse Bateman playing like arse though. He is either past it, or doesn't give a shit. most likely a bit of each imo.

Murraymob1

Juniors
To

benji defence he has a bigger hurdle than Ciraldo who does nothing but coach all recruitment sponsors Gould does.Benji has to do all that .The tigers are a basket case they have never handled the merge of the clubs and still have 3 grounds 2 lower grade clubs

Fangs

Coach
To

benji defence he has a bigger hurdle than Ciraldo who does nothing but coach all recruitment sponsors Gould does.Benji has to do all that .The tigers are a basket case they have never handled the merge of the clubs and still have 3 grounds 2 lower grade clubs

Which again highlights why it was such a mistep to appoint him as head coach.

They need someone with experience. Deadset Brian Smith.

Fangs

Coach
Other experienced coaches has tried and failed .The club needs to join complete at a junior level

Correct again. But it still doesn't hide the fact that appointing Benji was a misstep.

I'm sympathetic towards Benji. He was blinded by his love for the Tigers and when presented with the offer to coach the team he couldn't help but say yes.

Now he gets Barrett comparisons which is harsh because their respective paths towards being a first grade head coach have been wildly different. Barrett has now been head coach at two clubs and interim at the Eels along with multiple posts as assistant coach in first grade.

Kristian Woolf will be the coach of the Dolphins next year. Interim coach at Newcastle in 2019, 3 season with St Helens along with multiple SL premierships. 20 games as Tonga head coach. Assistant coach at multiple clubs and 2 years riding shotgun with Wayne Bennett.

Pomoz

Bench
Correct again. But it still doesn't hide the fact that appointing Benji was a misstep.

I'm sympathetic towards Benji. He was blinded by his love for the Tigers and when presented with the offer to coach the team he couldn't help but say yes.

Now he gets Barrett comparisons which is harsh because their respective paths towards being a first grade head coach have been wildly different. Barrett has now been head coach at two clubs and interim at the Eels along with multiple posts as assistant coach in first grade.

Kristian Woolf will be the coach of the Dolphins next year. Interim coach at Newcastle in 2019, 3 season with St Helens along with multiple SL premierships. 20 games as Tonga head coach. Assistant coach at multiple clubs and 2 years riding shotgun with Wayne Bennett.
Yes, the comparisons are unfair to Barrett. He at least was made to actually coach junior grades and earned a shot as an NRL coach. Benji didn't even do that. When he took over the Tigers he had exactly the same amount of League coaching experience I have, which is to say none.