What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other games

Murraymob1

Juniors
One of the best half’s of footy for a long time.Has had everything sin bins hia what a game.Full credit to the bunnies 2 men down and they score.These sides will be cannon fodder next week that’s how brutal this game is

Smug Panther

First Grade
One of the best half’s of footy for a long time.Has had everything sin bins hia what a game.Full credit to the bunnies 2 men down and they score.These sides will be cannon fodder next week that’s how brutal this game is
I love the grubby shit but the game also has zero skill

Fangs

Coach
HIA and send offs are our biggest threats.

We seem to handle that alright.

Trent Robinson talks a lot but his team can't help getting injured and concussed. They need to re-vamp their approach because its not going to win them a premiership with HIA rules these days.

mxlegend99

Referee
We seem to handle that alright.

Trent Robinson talks a lot but his team can't help getting injured and concussed. They need to re-vamp their approach because its not going to win them a premiership with HIA rules these days.
Roosters also got screwed by Tedesco being taken out with a high shot and Burgess not being binned until 30 seconds later in his next high shot.

So Roosters couldn't replace their player because the referee gave Burgess the benefit of the doubt.

I doubt it changes much. But any reportable tackle should activate the 18th man if the player on the receiving end of the illegal tackle fails his HIA. Shouldn't come down to the referee deciding to go easy on a player for the illegal tackle.

Fangs

Coach
Roosters also got screwed by Tedesco being taken out with a high shot and Burgess not being binned until 30 seconds later in his next high shot.

So Roosters couldn't replace their player because the referee gave Burgess the benefit of the doubt.

I doubt it changes much. But any reportable tackle should activate the 18th man if the player on the receiving end of the illegal tackle fails his HIA. Shouldn't come down to the referee deciding to go easy on a player for the illegal tackle.

For me that was the point that Klein and the bunker lost control of the game. It was one of the most obvious sin bins of the day.

Pomoz

Bench
For me that was the point that Klein and the bunker lost control of the game. It was one of the most obvious sin bins of the day.
I agree that the game was out of control, but I don't blame Klein. The replay showed that Burgess hit the shoulder first and then the neck. Not putting him in the bin is consistent with how the refs interpret tackles. I also agree this was the spark that kicked it off.

Personally, this is where I think the game needs to change. We need to stop trying to look for intent in head high tackles, concentrate on outcomes. Calling things accidents just provides excuse for players. Whether a tackle was reckless, intentional or just an unfortunate accident should be determined at the judiciary. On match day the question is simple, did you make contact illegally? Yes. Did the player need to go off for an HIA? Yes. Automatic sinbin. Your carelessness has disadvantaged the other side. The Roosters lost the best player in the world due to a poor tackle. Burgess should have been in the bin, even though he hit the shoulder first, it was still a bad tackle. At least he was the first player in contact, unlike Milne who came in when Suali was already grabbed from behind.

Accidents will still happen, but we there were was very little care shown by anybody yesterday. The tackles were hard and reckless and likely to end badly if the slightest thing went wrong. Milnes tackle was terrible. Suali was going nowhere, there was no need to make that head shot. JWH's head slam was just thuggery, he should have been sent off.

Fangs

Coach
I agree that the game was out of control, but I don't blame Klein. The replay showed that Burgess hit the shoulder first and then the neck. Not putting him in the bin is consistent with how the refs interpret tackles. I also agree this was the spark that kicked it off.

Without a doubt the biggest offenders yesterday were the players and coaches. They both played extremely dumb football and it became embarrassing for both clubs.

For the refs it got to a point where send offs for repeated infringements were required IMO. Perhaps a bit unprecedented but neither team wanted to stop the foul play.

snickers007

Juniors
Not sure what else Klein was supposed to do yesterday tbh.

Hard situation to be in.

Once players start staying down, and coming together to melee after dropped-balls etc - the video ref has to get involved. And regardless of whether Klein would have made the same decision as the bunker - the perception is that he has missed the call, and the bunker is overriding him. Which diminishes his level of authority and respect.

The game was super physical too (notwithstanding the illegal stuff), and very stop-start. And that increases the aggro of the players.

Add in the rivalry between the clubs, and the high stakes involved in the match, and it was just a perfect storm.

Klein will likely pay the price, but the teams played dumb.

I've seen some commentary saying that if someone had of been sent off early the rest of the shit would have been avoided - but I'm not so sure. Some of the sin-bins were a bit soft IMO, so a send off definitely would have been overkill, and just would have sent the aggro even higher. Having said that, I think the head slam deserved a sent off, and I think the proposed suspension supports that view.

Was a hideous game of football though. Not sure how anyone can enjoy watching that rubbish.

Fangs

Coach
This week will be so much fun.

You'd think Souths are finished after yesterday but they have Cronulla who were crap on Saturday night. Need to see what happens with team selections/suspensions but Souths might have enough fuel to get them through this one.

I think the Eels can get Canberra, maybe even without Moses. Much safer bet with him in the team however. It also aligns with my narrative of a Panthers/Eels grand final which I'm not letting go of.

Iamback

Coach
Hard situation to be in.

Once players start staying down, and coming together to melee after dropped-balls etc - the video ref has to get involved. And regardless of whether Klein would have made the same decision as the bunker - the perception is that he has missed the call, and the bunker is overriding him. Which diminishes his level of authority and respect.

The game was super physical too (notwithstanding the illegal stuff), and very stop-start. And that increases the aggro of the players.

Add in the rivalry between the clubs, and the high stakes involved in the match, and it was just a perfect storm.

Klein will likely pay the price, but the teams played dumb.

I've seen some commentary saying that if someone had of been sent off early the rest of the shit would have been avoided - but I'm not so sure. Some of the sin-bins were a bit soft IMO, so a send off definitely would have been overkill, and just would have sent the aggro even higher. Having said that, I think the head slam deserved a sent off, and I think the proposed suspension supports that view.

Was a hideous game of football though. Not sure how anyone can enjoy watching that rubbish.

That sort of game is why I was pro rule changes even for the blowouts, Give me free flowing footy any day or that

Latest posts