What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Back Row

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ronny, your ability to stay on the topic thread, but still make it all about you, is absolutely second to none!

he needs to start talking about Ron in the third person, just to make it complete...:lol:

come on Ronny! I know Ronny can do it!

lingard

Coach
I completely disagree re cayless. IMO he was very disappointing in the gf and in the games before it. Once again the outside backs, and grothe in particular, had to provide the go forward. And fui hayne and Mateo delivered the leadership he failed to provide..
Our team this year would be far stronger and have more depth if his salary went to a couple of hardheads - maybe one prop and one backrower.

Disagree: I think, in the back half of the season, Cayless played as well as any prop in the competition. I thought he showed great leadership. He`s getting on though, and I would like this to be his last year.
I agree with Slammin'Sam - Cayless is too old to be called 'world class' and Mannah is too young.

lingard

Coach
His first comment was something along the lines of, "Our pack will be better than anything you could throw up." No reasoning behind it at all.

You don't have to get your knickers in a knot jut because I don't rate Tim Smith an you disagree.

I, too, think Souths' pack next year, at least on paper, will be the best in the NRL. Period. But he was still trying to bait people for the sake of it. He succeeded, good on him.

Sorry, eelementary, but the only person he 'baited' was you. I really thought 'Slammin' Sam' came on here for a discussion. I can`t see anything wrong with that. What`s wrong with that?
For the record, I agree with a lot of what he said. I reckon Souths will have the best year they`ve had for a long, long time.
I agree with you too, eelementary - I don`t think we have any problem with depth in the forwards at all. In the recent past, when young forwards have come up to first grade at Parra, they`ve come into a team of under-performers. Now when they come into first grade at Parra, they will come into a winning and competitive culture under the guidance of Anderson and Sharpe with what seems to be an attitude of not tolerating passengers. I think it will be a VERY even match-up between Souths pack and ours. They might end up being the best two packs of 2010.

Fishboy

Juniors
This is a big call...Ron Coote, Jack Rayner and Bob mcCarthy might beg to differ!!

I did say "one of the".....
I believe there wont be many NZ world cup winning captains in total... In fact, after a quick google, cayless looks a lone figure being the ONLY nz world cup winning captain. It is already something special to captain your country let alone win a world cup.

Last edited:

caylo

Bench
Ross is on an incentive based contract and very little money - dont really count him in yet.

Asotasi will be fine - he wont take the NRL by storm at first but he will get back to his old ways.. Remembering he is still very young and a physical specimen.

Manly won the comp in 2008 with no real backup half..
I agree its a risk to take...

Our backs scored the most tries in 2009..
The only ageing player i can think of is Best ? Wesser wont make the field.. Our backs showed they can get over the line from anywhere.

This is the way I look at it, South have probably a marginally better pack then Parramatta. Up front you guys have Roy who struggled through last year and Parramatta have Fui in amazing form (better then Roy at his best IMO) plus Cayless and Mannag who played well with the addition of Poore. In the backrow we have alot of class but not as much go-forward as the Rabbits.

The Halves are no real differences because you guys have Sandow who struggled alot last year and Sutton, but Parramatta have KK and Morts with some experiance they can fall back on guys liek Mateo and Hayne to set up tries which Sutton and Sandow dont have that backup.

Our backline in the best in the comp and with guys like Hayne, Grothe, Inu and Tahu in the backline they have alot of size to go with their speed. Our ability to offload and provide the backline with early ball made most teams struggle last year and this year we will only improve

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Ronny, your ability to stay on the topic thread, but still make it all about you, is absolutely second to none!

im the master, this forum wouldn't be the same without me ;-) either love me or hate me, but i also never take me seriously....things aren't always what they seem;-)