What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our backline 2022 and beyond

thebigredv

First Grade
Every year for the last 10 years the club is always saying there’s not much room in their salary cap. Why I don’t know.

We are a complete mess. It just sits in a massive void.

Only need to watch what Wayne did. He cut the duds and immediately brought in quality. Hook brought in Bird - huge tick. McCullogh - tick then into off cuts that aren't up to it when push comes to shove.

If we don't have cap space someone needs to get sacked. If we do I believe Hook has a duty to use it.

mickeylane

Bench
Schiller is coming along nicely and will surprise many. He has made a very successful early jump to NSW Cup and is already looking classy at that level. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at centre next year with Bird in the forwards to plug our backrow shortage.

1. Ramsey
2. Sloan/Matt/Max
3. Schiller
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
I cant see Hook backing his 2nd year contract w this backline, way too green...i think we will see a topline FB and 5/8 come into the backline next year...we have over $1.2M for these 2 positions w Dufty and Norman, Williame, and potentially Clune all being released

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I cant see Hook backing his 2nd year contract w this backline, way too green...i think we will see a topline FB and 5/8 come into the backline next year...we have over $1.2M for these 2 positions w Dufty and Norman, Williame, and potentially Clune all being released

Why look elsewhere and spend big money when we have Ramsey ready to go at FB and Sullivan looking to be one of the most promising young halves we've ever had?

Besides, there is no top-line fullback or 5/8 off contract.

Crush

Coach
Schiller is coming along nicely and will surprise many. He has made a very successful early jump to NSW Cup and is already looking classy at that level. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at centre next year with Bird in the forwards to plug our backrow shortage.

1. Ramsey
2. Sloan/Matt/Max
3. Schiller
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
Good interview with Schiller on the red v podcast this week.
He comes across as an intelligent, well spoken young bloke.
I think you might be right, centre could be where he starts his NRL career.

mickeylane

Bench

Only need to watch what Wayne did. He cut the duds and immediately brought in quality. Hook brought in Bird - huge tick. McCullogh - tick then into off cuts that aren't up to it when push comes to shove.

If we don't have cap space someone needs to get sacked. If we do I believe Hook has a duty to use it.
i reckon Bird will play SOO this year...possibly Game 1 as well as a no 14..

BLM01

First Grade
Just listening to Hook and his coach's preview on the club website...he made it clear that Dufty was good around the club and that letting him go had nothing to do with anything off the field, and that it was all football related...I found it strange that when he was asked about going to the market place for a replacement, he made it clear that we would be looking internally for our next fullback, mentioning Ramsey and Sloan...

That didn't surprise me because i had a feeling that the club would be leaning that way, but what did make me a little concerned was when he made the comment that "we don't have a heap of money in next year's cap"...

" WHAT THE F**K...WE HAVE NO ROOM IN NEXT YEAR'S SALARY CAP "

So many ways that this statement makes my mind boggle...but the fact that we have let go so fairly significant cattle lately and really haven't made any big purchases...it makes you wonder what sort of coin the likes of McCullough, Bird and McGuire are on...

But what really sends a shiver up my spine is that maybe the reason we don't have any room to move in the cap for next year is because the club are going to re-sign Corey Norman...Even typing it makes me want to throw the laptop out the window :mad:

If Norman is on the reported $800,000, there's a big chunk of change that could be used to make an astute purchase or two...

I am really starting to get this terrible feeling that the club are going to re-sign Norman, and this nightmare we've had to endure for the last three years, of putting up with this useless, lazy, aimless, good-for-nothing, spiritless, imposter is going to continue...

And if that is the case, then God give us all strength, because we'll need it...
In regards to Hook saying not going to the marketplace...and cap space etc..
listen carefully
he said that may change at anytime depending on the cap. he is telling the truth at the moment for today.
Read between the lines, it is very real that they will and have the cap, only got to say bye bye to some more and presto..money available
He is playing the media and not giving anything away nor he should. Showing the up and comers in our squad some faith

BLM01

First Grade
I've always been a fan of JP's fearless ball-running- just a bit concerned that someone's been in his ear about being more aggressive with his defence which contributed to that poor tackle.
Yes..but what about the bone rattler on Moylan?..last Friday night
Whoever it was was a sick boy for a minute or 2 afterwards

TheFlash

Juniors
A couple of months ago we had offered a contract to Israel Folau from memory $400k plus and second year $500k plus again from memory so we must have more money available than we are letting on

thebigredv

First Grade
A couple of months ago we had offered a contract to Israel Folau from memory $400k plus and second year $500k plus again from memory so we must have more money available than we are letting on

This club doesn't feel the need to be transparent with same fans that pay the bills. Just string them along, let the die hards sweat it out. Some clubs need spin, smoke and mirrors to try and improve their list but the good teams just get it done.

SnowDragon

Juniors

like Josh Morris?

getsmarty

Immortal
This club doesn't feel the need to be transparent with same fans that pay the bills. Just string them along, let the die hards sweat it out. Some clubs need spin, smoke and mirrors to try and improve their list but the good teams just get it done.

Things get leaked to the media and it can change things....We are looking.....