What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Best Friends

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
To one and all,

I'm sitting at my keyboard with a heavy heart and half cut and I hope people understand the sentiment of my post.

Today we lost our beloved "Brave and Noble Wonder Dog Patch" catastrophic to say the least.

Unfortunately the time had come to make a call on his wonderful career as a loved and trusted family member and our sense of loss is beyond belief.

He like many in this place had some ongoing issues which he dealt with day by day without complaint and with total love for his family but this morning was different and he let us know it was time to make a call.

It wasn't a question of money or us trying to tough it out for our own benefit it was a matter of what mattered for a family member and let me share with you that was incredibly difficult but I am glad with the help of our trusted family vets we made the right call.

I would like to dedicate this thread to the wonderful pets we have all had and I truly hope to see many photos and responses on those wonderful friends we have had in our lives over all these years as we are all the better for their contribution in our daily lives.

In later years Patchy hated when the Dragons played as my yelling and screaming would mean he looked for a safe haven until the game was over butI am sure he was far more tolerant in 2009 - 2011.

Like so many no matter how bad his day was he always had a wag of the tail and the warmest of greetings for the entire family and he could read all our moods and react accordingly.

To watch him with his / our elderly mothers / grand mothers was just beautiful as he knew they were frail and he adjusted his behaviour to suit the people involved.

As I said I truly hope that people respond and in a manner that acknowledges the contributions our pets make to our lives on a daily basis.

View attachment 51357

My two best mates bar none.
Beautiful post mate.

It’s a heart breaking time and it helps put things in perspective.

I feel you mate. It was the saddest day in my life when I had to say good bye to our old girl.

All the best mate.

Illusion

Bench
Sorry to hear old mate , Patch looks and Im sure was a great friend ..... We had a beautiful little Maltese Shih Tzu ..... She was smart and great company ..... I was lost and shattered when a few young guys and girls where renting next-door to me Poisoned her ..... Why no idea she never barked , I do know they had an issue with me as I fronted them for noise and bad language ..... They were lucky and I was lucky that my good neighbor's stopped me from doing something I would have regretted ...... Anyway mate I do know how you are feeling , just hang on to the good memories you had with Patch ......

Dragon David

First Grade
Sorry to hear old mate , Patch looks and Im sure was a great friend ..... We had a beautiful little Maltese Shih Tzu ..... She was smart and great company ..... I was lost and shattered when a few young guys and girls where renting next-door to me Poisoned her ..... Why no idea she never barked , I do know they had an issue with me as I fronted them for noise and bad language ..... They were lucky and I was lucky that my good neighbor's stopped me from doing something I would have regretted ...... Anyway mate I do know how you are feeling , just hang on to the good memories you had with Patch ......
Bloody bastards. Could you not have reported the incident to the police? To take it out on your poor innocent dog was the lowest thing possible. They are just inhumane.

Old Timer

Coach
That is horrendous and shows the low depths some humans can stoop to

As dear old dad often said “the more I see of people the more I love my dog”

Last edited:

St Tangles

Bench
I don't believe I could of been as restrained as you mate.
That's just plain wrong what they did.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Dogs are awesome.. Offering unconditional love, protection and loyalty..

They make such an important connection for many people..

And then the furry little jerks go and have such a short lifespan…

It’s not fair..

Old Timer

Coach
Our six dogs over 40 years were Freddy, Ralph, Jackie, Sally, Billy and Benny, three border collies, two Labs and a little bitsa, alas no more dogs for us.
CC
CC
I'm sad that you don't have a dog now and whilst we were wrestling with the same decision I managed to put myself in a headlock and will sign up again after we get over the loss of Patch.

If ever you want to come and spend some time with a dog in the park and enjoy sausage sizzle with a beer or 2 just make your way out to the Hawkesbury and a mere 500 meters from our place we can make a bird of it.

All your dogs had great names and truly reflective of your generation and no doubt each name fitted perfectly with each dog.

Before Patch we had a blue dog X and we named her Twopence as you know pronounced Tuppence (of course we called her Tuppy when she was a puppy) and despite all our efforts the young girl at the vet just couldn't get her head around that and kept calling her Toopence.

Anyway I was always going to get around to getting her desexed early on but the big X everything dog from down the road decided to take matters into his own paws so we ended with a full litter plus 1of beautiful pups.

Bob, Penny, Zac, Dina, Threepence were a few of them and one little bloke fractured his front leg trying to climb over all the others to find a teat so we had that fixed at the vets and he was appropriately named Bung.

Just on a side note thanks to everyone who has posted in here Mrs OT & I really appreciate it and you have all helped us cope with a very difficult time and by all means please post a photo or 2 and tell us about your best mates as I think it is nice to share such great memories.

merahputih

Juniors
Sorry to hear about your pooch Old Timer .My dog who has passed away a few years ago, use to go down the back and sit in the sun ,behind the shed when the Dragons where playing. Most placid and faithful animal always with me ,but come kick of she was gone for some reason LOL.
I do the same thing these days.

Como Connection

First Grade
CC
I'm sad that you don't have a dog now and whilst we were wrestling with the same decision I managed to put myself in a headlock and will sign up again after we get over the loss of Patch.

If ever you want to come and spend some time with a dog in the park and enjoy sausage sizzle with a beer or 2 just make your way out to the Hawkesbury and a mere 500 meters from our place we can make a bird of it.

All your dogs had great names and truly reflective of your generation and no doubt each name fitted perfectly with each dog.

Before Patch we had a blue dog X and we named her Twopence as you know pronounced Tuppence (of course we called her Tuppy when she was a puppy) and despite all our efforts the young girl at the vet just couldn't get her head around that and kept calling her Toopence.

Anyway I was always going to get around to getting her desexed early on but the big X everything dog from down the road decided to take matters into his own paws so we ended with a full litter plus 1of beautiful pups.

Bob, Penny, Zac, Dina, Threepence were a few of them and one little bloke fractured his front leg trying to climb over all the others to find a teat so we had that fixed at the vets and he was appropriately named Bung.

Just on a side note thanks to everyone who has posted in here Mrs OT & I really appreciate it and you have all helped us cope with a very difficult time and by all means please post a photo or 2 and tell us about your best mates as I think it is nice to share such great memories.
OT
We decided after 40 years we would now have our own time and thank goodness as it turns out as we arrived on the Gold Coast on 20th June and are not returning to Sydney until mid September.
Free up here.
CC

Dragon David

First Grade
two yrs ago I took my dog for a walk/swim down the creek. Regular outing. He loved it. I took a video of him swimming and walking out and shaking himself off.
He got out of the yard that night and got himself run over.
I watch that little video regularly.
So sad Evil E Z. Treasure that video. I love my dog so much and so do all the members of my family. Us dog lovers, we are all sooks.

Old Timer

Coach
OT
We decided after 40 years we would now have our own time and thank goodness as it turns out as we arrived on the Gold Coast on 20th June and are not returning to Sydney until mid September.
Free up here.
CC
I understand your position and all the pets you had were very lucky t have had good lives and a good home.

Nice that you can spend time between different locations and get the best of many worlds

Hopefully we get to see a good football side in our beloved Big Red V before it’s time for us to walk all the dogs we’ve had.

Latest posts