What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our greatest rivals

watatank

Coach
I'm not really versed in St George history, I was just wondering if anyone could help me answer this question: Who are our greatest rivals over history and why?

Thanks guys

slaters

Referee
To be honest, we really don't have one as such in a way other sides do.

We tend to have a few.

Would dare suggest Bulldogs are probably our greatest rivally due to the us and them being the most successful Sydney clubs.

We have had a rivally with Brisbane since the early 90's and Melbourne since that grand final and subsequent 70 point murder the following year.

Guess Newcastle rates highly also.

Cronulla to a less extent and the Bunnies would also be rivals.

dubopov

Coach

We tend to have a few.

Would dare suggest Bulldogs are probably our greatest rivally due to the us and them being the most successful Sydney clubs.

We have had a rivally with Brisbane since the early 90's and Melbourne since that grand final and subsequent 70 point murder the following year.

historically souths by a mile ..

Ray Parlour

Juniors
Overtime you would probably say Souths..

Recently Bulldogs.

Souths and Cronulla are both sh*t and personally i consider them more novelty clubs - good for a laugh every now and then.

Historically Souths and perhaps Wests (they always seem to remember those three grand finals).

Recent years would be Bulldogs and Brisbane. Personally I did not realise there was so much anti Dragons feeling (and vice versa) in the Cronulla camp until i came over to LU.

Canterbury - First real local side to compete against outside of the "1908 Brigade" surrounding us (Newtown + Souths). They also won a GF before we did even though they entered the comp 14 years later. Very passionate feud considering the territory both clubs occupy, with armies of players crossing the border to play for each other.

Cronulla - Founded in 1967 from the Cronulla-Caringbah club to attempt to cease the success of the St George side which had won the premiership from 1956-1966. With one move the NSWRL literally halved the playing pool from which St George could draw from, at the expense of the Wentworthville club (who are now Parra's feeder side).

I don't buy into rivalries between Brisbane or Melbourne, just because you win a GF against us doesn't mean we are a huge rival of yours.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Our rivalry with The Scum is akin to the rivalry a hammer has with a nail.

I consider our true rivals to be C*nterbury, though it has to be said that almost every team seems to relish coming up against us...

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Technically its the sharks, because they hate us to much, and we hate them back (even though i think we have a stonger hate for other teams). Personally i support Two teams; the Dragons and anyone playing Cronulla.

After that I would say Canterbury. Next i would say Melbourne and then the Broncos. Some would say our "mini-rivals" are the roosters because of ANZAC day. Is there any team that we actually like? :lol:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm not really versed in St George history, I was just wondering if anyone could help me answer this question: Who are our greatest rivals over history and why?

Thanks guys

technically, it's actually the dragon that is st george's greatest rival in history...

Red'n'White

Juniors

We tend to have a few.

The Bulldogs rivalry came from the 1967 semi-final series. Iin that year the Dragons were heading for their 12 straight grand final and were beaten by the Doggies. Even thought the contentious 4 tackle rule was brought in that year, also. The Dragons actually had to give the other team the ball after years of dominance in the no tackle count era. Imagin that........

Cronulla is a big bro little bro thing. As was Illawarra was before the takeover, er I mean merger, lol.....

Broncos, Melbourne not so much. Just recent memories, allbeit bad ones.........

The only other one I suggest would be Souths due to the Charity Shield and classic Grand-Finals over the years.......

big pat

Coach
back in the sixty's saints and souths were always good battles,a very good rivalry there, that flowed into the early 70s, i guess when the scumbags came in 67, the hatred grew over the years, not so much manly because every other supporter hated them, over the last 10 years the storm have been a bad thorn in our side, a win over them would be very pleasing.