What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our predicted lineup R1

kit66

Bench
People see what they want to see - Leilua was highly hyped by many on here pre-trials and some people aren’t willing to notice his faults. Not saying that’s the case with you but it’s a trend I noticed after the Hull game (changed after the CS where he went from ordinary to bad and anyone hitching themselves to him couldn’t defend it).

From what I saw, Luc isn’t an edge player. His tackling was ok we lateral movement was sub-par and he turned his back a lot getting back to the line. Hence he was targetted heavily against Souths. In attack, he ran like Aitken - ie grabbed the ball and just ran, no ball promotion, no consideration of angles nor who he was running at. His leg speed/drive is poor and since he’s no longer a big fish in a small pond, he can’t just push players off to ball play and without that, he loses all effectiveness on the edge. Needs to develop more and become a bench impact player.

By comparison, Host kept up with the pace of the game. He made some poor tackle attempts (although as OT pointed out, the try you refer to was a result of the middle men not reacting. Host was marking his opposite, as an edge defender should). His angles off the halves were much cleaner, he consistently isolated the opposition small defenders and made 5-10m post contact each run. He is underdone but he’s a far more natural edge player than Luc, and definitely better prepped for first grade.

Yeah they see what they want to see, can't argue with that.
I criticized Leilua after the CS too, he was caught out on occasion but no more than Host was in the Hull game. That try he and Sele let in was too soft - if you watch Host he's looking wide and not watching the try scorer at all ( and I'd say without a doubt that the try scorer saw that too ) and so was slow to react, he wears part of the credit I'm afraid.
The problem is that neither Leilua, Host or Sims seem able to be successful on our left and the thought of both Host and Aitken out there is giving me chills. I've made the suggestion of trying Friz simply because I can think of no better option. We need to fix it, we have 5 days.
I can't agree with you on Host, wish I could but I can't see him being the one.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
This is probably how the teams will line up. Not my team but what we know McGregor will pick:

F/B - Dufty v Boyd
W - Nene/Nighty v Oats/Isaako
C- Aitken/Lafai v Kahu/Roberts
H - Hunt/Widdop v Nikorima/Milford
L - JDB v McGuire
2nd row - Leilua/Frizell v Gillett/Glen
Props - Graham/Vaughan v Pangai/Lodge
9 - McInnes v McCollough

Bench:
LAM/Sims/Host/Mann v Su'a/Sims/Thaiday/Ofahengaue

The Broncos have a lot of inexperience or limited experience in their squad, however, that is offset wirh a formiddable backline of Boyd/Oats/Kahu/Roberts. For mine Oats is their most dangerous player.
Our props should be able to dominate both starting and replacement.
We have international halves who should be able to create more opporunities, however, the Broncos halves are very speedy and will create problems for our centre/edge defence if we slacken off.

I think we will dominate the game early, especially the 1st 20 mins. The issue will be if we squander opportunities and not have a good lead at this point, panic and frustration will set in, this is where we see the flick passing, unnecessary offloading, crabbing and turnovers. This is when the Broncos will be at their most dangerous

In the end i think Dragons by 8

BennyV

Referee
Yeah they see what they want to see, can't argue with that.
I criticized Leilua after the CS too, he was caught out on occasion but no more than Host was in the Hull game. That try he and Sele let in was too soft - if you watch Host he's looking wide and not watching the try scorer at all ( and I'd say without a doubt that the try scorer saw that too ) and so was slow to react, he wears part of the credit I'm afraid.
The problem is that neither Leilua, Host or Sims seem able to be successful on our left and the thought of both Host and Aitken out there is giving me chills. I've made the suggestion of trying Friz simply because I can think of no better option. We need to fix it, we have 5 days.
I can't agree with you on Host, wish I could but I can't see him being the one.
I think Leilua’s issues go further than left vs right. As I said, he doesn’t look like a natural edge player.

The other thing is that with Host and Sims, we have a bigger sample period. Host has been drastically f**ked around in his first grade but the few games he’s had long minutes on the edge, he’s been super impressive - consistently running good angles, isolating halves, breaking tackles and defending well. As I said, underdone but worth persisting with.

Anywho, agree to disagree and we’ll see how it unfolds!

Frank Facer

First Grade
I’d like to see Aiken moved to the second row he is use to defending out wide strong ball carrier and let’s face it plays like a edge back rower anyway. And Lomax given a shot in the centres

Dufty
Nightingale
Lomax
Lafai
McDonald
Widdop
Hunt
Graham
McInnes
Vaughan
Frizell
Aiken
Debelin

Mann/Field
Sims
Sele
Latimore/Lawrie/Leilua
If Aitken has a future in first grade, I think that lies as an edge backrower. I still would not have him in my side though. I would play him second row in reserve grade as see how he goes there.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I think Leilua’s issues go further than left vs right. As I said, he doesn’t look like a natural edge player.

The other thing is that with Host and Sims, we have a bigger sample period. Host has been drastically f**ked around in his first grade but the few games he’s had long minutes on the edge, he’s been super impressive - consistently running good angles, isolating halves, breaking tackles and defending well. As I said, underdone but worth persisting with.

Anywho, agree to disagree and we’ll see how it unfolds!
I agree Benny and for the life of me I cannot understand how f.cknuckle coach has screwed around both Host & Kurt Mann. These 2 players are shining lights IMO and deserve to be selected over some other disappointing favourites.
Pick & stick in their development is crucial to confidence and performance.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I don't understand how any Dragons fan would be content of us just throwing away the two points each game - any game. Aitken has done nothing to earn selection in first grade for round one and Mann is a better option than Aitken every day of the week.

Agree Possm

Mann is a far superior option atm but reality id Aitken is a McGregor favourite, one he promoted himself. To admit failure in him is not in McGregors makeup because it would directly him. This is why Aitken was extended not due to Millward but due to McGregor.

ALSGI

Bench
I think Au Mau is in for a big season.
We are getting excited about some of the younger forwards coming through but I reckon Leeson may be one of our best.
I'm on the Leeson Au Mau train. Big season ahead for him!
It was nice to see him finally score a try Crush, especially after seeing him go so close so many times. This time in open space with a bit of a step!
Hope there’s better to come from LAM but I’d be happy with his form from last year - he’s strong, reliable and has been consistently solid for us.

Old Timer

Coach
It was nice to see him finally score a try Crush, especially after seeing him go so close so many times. This time in open space with a bit of a step!
Hope there’s better to come from LAM but I’d be happy with his form from last year - he’s strong, reliable and has been consistently solid for us.
If Mc Inness gets out of dummy half or Hunt has a dart tailor made for LAM who has very good footwork.
However if he is given the "just take it up role" then we will never see the best of him IMO.

ALSGI

Bench
If Mc Inness gets out of dummy half or Hunt has a dart tailor made for LAM who has very good footwork.
However if he is given the "just take it up role" then we will never see the best of him IMO.
Yep, pretty much nailed it OT, another example of McGenius and his two sidekicks.

hermidale1

Juniors
That's why we should try Frizell on the left, his lateral defence is great, he runs angles just as good as Thompson and he'd play well off / or decoying for Widdop over there.
We've tried Host, sims and Leilua on the left and they've all fallen short. Why not try something else.
Both Sims and Leilua have played alright on the right but I'd rather Sims on the bench.
Host has played on the left just once, against Manly when Thompson pulled out in Wollongong. He has always been slotted on the right as an edge. Every other time he was a middle.

O'Sullivan

Juniors
McInness is a real worry. Very predictable. Runs once or twice early then becomes a hooker of the 1960's, just pass from dummy-half, albeit far more effectively than Rein at this aspect of his game. Nevertheless simply passing time after time puts no doubts in the opponents' minds making our forwards who run one off the ruck easy targets. Not much of a kicking game either. Needs to inject some more variety, especially if the coach insists on playing him 80 minutes.

getsmarty

Immortal
This is probably how the teams will line up. Not my team but what we know McGregor will pick:

F/B - Dufty v Boyd
W - Nene/Nighty v Oats/Isaako
C- Aitken/Lafai v Kahu/Roberts
H - Hunt/Widdop v Nikorima/Milford
L - JDB v McGuire
2nd row - Leilua/Frizell v Gillett/Glen
Props - Graham/Vaughan v Pangai/Lodge
9 - McInnes v McCollough

Bench:
LAM/Sims/Host/Mann v Su'a/Sims/Thaiday/Ofahengaue

The Broncos have a lot of inexperience or limited experience in their squad, however, that is offset wirh a formiddable backline of Boyd/Oats/Kahu/Roberts. For mine Oats is their most dangerous player.
Our props should be able to dominate both starting and replacement.
We have international halves who should be able to create more opporunities, however, the Broncos halves are very speedy and will create problems for our centre/edge defence if we slacken off.

I think we will dominate the game early, especially the 1st 20 mins. The issue will be if we squander opportunities and not have a good lead at this point, panic and frustration will set in, this is where we see the flick passing, unnecessary offloading, crabbing and turnovers. This is when the Broncos will be at their most dangerous

In the end i think Dragons by 8

Isn't Oates Switching to the Backrow...? Is Bird out ??

BennyV

Referee
McInness is a real worry. Very predictable. Runs once or twice early then becomes a hooker of the 1960's, just pass from dummy-half, albeit far more effectively than Rein at this aspect of his game. Nevertheless simply passing time after time puts no doubts in the opponents' minds making our forwards who run one off the ruck easy targets. Not much of a kicking game either. Needs to inject some more variety, especially if the coach insists on playing him 80 minutes.
Agree with this, but I do think it's got a lot to do with being asked to play 80 minutes consistently. The guy burns so much energy in defense (not just numbers, he tackles hard!!!) so I don't think he's had the opportunity to develop the running game. And when he does run, there doesnt seem to be much purpose, it looks almost forced. Doesnt really promote the ball...

I'd like to see him jump out of DH with options either side, particularly in the attacking zone. I know our game plan doesnt allow for much 'options' play but he's shown he can pick the right pass and even put in attacking kicks, so given this freedom we'd see a lot better than him. I also think he needs a 15 minute break in the game (even if we start with another hooker then bring him on). Preferably someone with a point of difference.

The basics of his game are top shelf - those wide passes to Widdop/Hunt will be crucial this year and its stuff that Mitch Rein could only dream of! But he needs to push to develop further.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Mary's team
1. Dufty, 2. Nene, 3. Lafai, 4. Aitken, 5. Nightingale, 6. Widdop, 7. Hunt
8. Graham, 9. McInnes, 10. Vaughan, 11. Sims, 12. Frizell, 13. DeBelin
14. AhMau, 15. Latimore, 16. Leilua, 17. Mann

My team
1. Dufty, 2. Nene, 3. Lafai, 4. Mann, 5. Lomax, 6. Widdop, 7. Hunt
8. Graham, 9. McInnes, 10. Vaughan, 11. Host, 12. Frizell, 13. DeBelin
14. AhMau, 15. Sims, 16. Leilua, 17. Sele

My team beats Mary's team simply because my right edge can defend.

RufusRex

Post Whore
In the Hull game, when Robson finally came on ... you could tell immediately there was something about him ... He was our of DH a few steps engaging the defender before passing. Looked very slick albeit fresh vs fatigued.