What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out with Lui, in with...

Vic Mackey

Referee
Couldn't agree more. To compliment Benji, Maloney is the number one half in the game I want, bar none. I'd be more than happy to pay him $350k.

Problem is mate we've already got a number of big names on big money. Farah, benji, Ellis, blair, Lawrence etc would all be on $300k+ probably

It's all well and good to say you'd pay that for him but fitting it in is another thing

Radical Rat

Juniors
Problem is mate we've already got a number of big names on big money. Farah, benji, Ellis, blair, Lawrence etc would all be on $300k+ probably

It's all well and good to say you'd pay that for him but fitting it in is another thing

Yeah but aren't we talking for 2013? I thought he was signed for next year? If it's not till 2013 we'd be able to make some cap space.

macnaz

Staff member
Funny how a lot of people are writing of Miller YET they lived with a NO tackling No direction No improvement No Hearted softcock that did something worthwhile roughly 1 in about every 6 games for the last 2 seasons BUT arent prepared to give a guy a go who has been labeled as the best number 7 in the NYC .

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member

your right Vic .. we cant just go buy the best available player on the market all the time and stay under the cap , Ive tried to make that point about having Ayshford for bugger all bucks yet still having a good quality centre. Its all about bang for ya buck i guess

phenisha

Juniors
Funny how a lot of people are writing of Miller YET they lived with a NO tackling No direction No improvement No Hearted softcock that did something worthwhile roughly 1 in about every 6 games for the last 2 seasons BUT arent prepared to give a guy a go who has been labeled as the best number 7 in the NYC .

wasn't Lui also 6 of the year in NYC?

Vicious

Bench

Macnaz you`re talking chalk & cheese, Lui and Miller are two totally different types of footballers.
Lui is an attacking genius, he is a natural ball player who can put his ball runners into a hole better than any other young halve in the game. The obvious downside is his lack of commitment when defending which leaves an obvious target for opposing sides to attack and which you could say cost us the game against the Warriors with his poor miss on Faleti Mateo.
Jacob Miller has nowhere near the same ball playing ability as Robert Lui, this is backed up by the fact that our u/20`s where an attacking machine which regularly racked up big scores when Lui was in the side, this season they often had trouble scoring points with Miller as the main playmaker. Miller has plenty of upside, he`s a tough little bugger who does not shy away from defending like LUI does, he`s quicker than Lui and there kicking games are about on par.
They are both natural 5/8`s who we have tried to turn into halfbacks, in my opinion Lui is much better suited to halfback than what Miller is because Lui is more of a ball player than a ball runner, Miller is at his best when running the ball and taking on defenders, but doesn`t have near the same slight of hand when trying to put ball runners into holes.

DanOz

Juniors
Yeah but aren't we talking for 2013? I thought he was signed for next year? If it's not till 2013 we'd be able to make some cap space.

Tuqiri will be gone by then I think, and maybe even Ellis, so there is the money for Maloney. Please dont even consider Orford.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
because the warriors are just going to walk away from maloney?

isaac john would be a good pickup, but he's heavily rumoured to be headed to the uk.

what ever

Juniors
why would a good player like Isaac John go to uk, before coming to Oz. Whats his manager doing? Who is his manager?

macnaz

Staff member
Macnaz you`re talking chalk & cheese, Lui and Miller are two totally different types of footballers.
Lui is an attacking genius, he is a natural ball player who can put his ball runners into a hole better than any other young halve in the game. The obvious downside is his lack of commitment when defending which leaves an obvious target for opposing sides to attack and which you could say cost us the game against the Warriors with his poor miss on Faleti Mateo.
Jacob Miller has nowhere near the same ball playing ability as Robert Lui, this is backed up by the fact that our u/20`s where an attacking machine which regularly racked up big scores when Lui was in the side, this season they often had trouble scoring points with Miller as the main playmaker. Miller has plenty of upside, he`s a tough little bugger who does not shy away from defending like LUI does, he`s quicker than Lui and there kicking games are about on par.
They are both natural 5/8`s who we have tried to turn into halfbacks, in my opinion Lui is much better suited to halfback than what Miller is because Lui is more of a ball player than a ball runner, Miller is at his best when running the ball and taking on defenders, but doesn`t have near the same slight of hand when trying to put ball runners into holes.
Fair call Vicious.. I still see Miller more of a 7 for us than a 6 playing that position.. Anyway whoever we end up with must come with a big thanks to LUi for making the call for the Tigers that i feel they needed to make and would NEVER have made . Im not the slightest bit upset that Lui may have to piss off elsewhere .

Radical Rat

Juniors
because the warriors are just going to walk away from maloney?

isaac john would be a good pickup, but he's heavily rumoured to be headed to the uk.

Who cares what the Warriors want. He's off contract in 2013 and has already stated he wants to return to Sydney.

SilentOne

Juniors
There has been rumours that he wants to go back to Sydney etc, but he has not actually come out and said anything of the sort.

In fact when he was interviewed on NRL on Fox and the Footy show not once did he give any indication about being home sick or returning home.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
any return to sydney rumours have been quashed by maloney himself. he'll go where the coin is. if it's auckland, great. if it's sydney, so be it.

he isn't gagging to get out of town.

Vicious

Bench
James Maloney will be the Australian 5/8 for the next 5 years, he`s as tough as they come and a real class act, we won`t be getting him for anything less than $500,000 per season.
In any case he`s not available until 2013, we should be worrying about 2012 first and I can tell you we`ll struggle without another quality halve to partner Benji if as expected Rob Lui gets released.

People can say what they like about Todd Carney, but the only real thing he has done wrong this season is have a few late nights and have a drink, the last time I checked this wasn`t illegal. I can assure you quite a few players in our current side also don`t mind having a few late nights or going out for a drink, luckily for us we don`t have imbeciles like Braith Anasta making rash decisions on what the rest of the side should or should not be doing whenever he feels like it.

We could sign Todd Carney for about $300,000 per season which is really $200,000 per season under what he is really worth, to me that is a bargain buy as there is no rival football side on the planet that could control Benji and Todd Carney at full flight.

If we decide to sit back and hope that we can get by without signing another quality halve we will struggle!

The supporters who don`t agree with signing someone such as Todd Carney obviously don`t mind losing?

Last edited:

DanOz

Juniors
James Maloney will be the Australian 5/8 for the next 5 years, he`s as tough as they come and a real class act, we won`t be getting him for anything less than $500,000 per season.
In any case he`s not available until 2013, we should be worrying about 2012 first and I can tell you we`ll struggle without another quality halve to partner Benji if as expected Rob Lui gets released.

People can say what they like about Todd Carney, but the only real thing he has done wrong this season is have a few late nights and have a drink, the last time I checked this wasn`t illegal. I can assure you quite a few players in our current side also don`t mind having a few late nights or going out for a drink, luckily for us we don`t have imbeciles like Braith Anasta making rash decisions on what the rest of the side should or should not be doing whenever he feels like it.

We could sign Todd Carney for about $300,000 per season which is really $200,000 per season under what he is really worth, to me that is a bargain buy as there is no rival football side on the planet that could control Benji and Todd Carney at full flight.

If we decide to sit back and hope that we can get by without signing another quality halve we will struggle!

The supporters who don`t agree with signing someone such as Todd Carney obviously don`t mind losing?

Carney had a great season 2 years ago, was ordinary this year. I am not convinced he is the answer because you dont know who will turn up. That said I dont want him anyway for the destablising influence he will have on the team. When you sign players like him, they are a bad influence on others.

ceagle

Bench
You guys should give Miller the 7. DCE was told at the start of the off-season he was going to be in the first grade team, bulked up and prepared with the squad.

It will pay off if you put faith in him.

Vicious

Bench
You guys should give Miller the 7. DCE was told at the start of the off-season he was going to be in the first grade team, bulked up and prepared with the squad.

It will pay off if you put faith in him.

I watched a bit of Cherry-Evans when he was in the u/20`s and I can tell you he was a much better creator with ball in hand than what Miller is.
Don`t get me wrong Miller is a tough young footballer who still has plenty of improvement left in him and I think he will become a very good first grade footballer, but I don`t think he will suit our style of play all that well as he is predominately a ball runner who is at his best behind a very dominant forward pack with plenty of powerfull ball runners. Even with the inclusion of Adam Blair and the progression of Aaron Woods, I think we are still a fair way off becoming a forward pack that strikes fear into the opposition.

I watched a bit of Cherry-Evans when he was in the u/20`s and I can tell you he was a much better creator with ball in hand than what Miller is.
Don`t get me wrong Miller is a tough young footballer who still has plenty of improvement left in him and I think he will become a very good first grade footballer, but I don`t think he will suit our style of play all that well as he is predominately a ball runner who is at his best behind a very dominant forward pack with plenty of powerfull ball runners. Even with the inclusion of Adam Blair and the progression of Aaron Woods, I think we are still a fair way off becoming a forward pack that strikes fear into the opposition.

What packs do strike fear? Manly? Brisbane? Melbourne? Absolutely not. The days of fearsome packs are over.
Not many quality, aggressive forwards running around these days.

Galloway, Ellis and Blair are formidable as any cornerstones to any pack in the comp.