What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outcoached and outplayed

Utey

Coach
Before I start, well done Knights and Hagan. We were beaten well and truely but that didnt dampen a great day. Met a few more forum members and cant complain about much. Saw all the grades and enjoyed all of it.

The calls of dropping Burt, Wagon have already started. :roll:. Geez that didnt take long. We were beaten by a well drilled side who seemed to know all of plays. Timmy was taken out of the game, Morris was ineffective, Marsh unable to play the full 80 was what cost us. No creativity with Morris at hooker.

But its round 1 no point windging continually about Smith and players which shouldnt be in FG.

Morenito

Juniors
Yeah!! leave Wagon and Burt alone people...

sACK BRIAN SMITH!!!!:D

Its only March... no big deal

Looked like we hadn't play a trail together.
And we never really did with this squad, we'll get better give it time.
The bit that sh*ts me is we missed 26 tackles, and most of them were soft misses, Sharp better getting on the tackling bags this week.

richo74

Juniors
the attack was pretty poor, the only try was a soft one up the middle.

think we missed piggy a bit

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Wagon and Burt have been playing like that for the past few years, they're holding good players out of the team and don't deserve it. They were heartless and just pathetic today, especially Wagon. If Smith doesn't drop at least Wagon, he needs his head read.

Angry_eel

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
Wagon and Burt have been playing like that for the past few years, they're holding good players out of the team and don't deserve it. They were heartless and just pathetic today, especially Wagon. If Smith doesn't drop at least Wagon, he needs his head read.
here we go again. the blame wagon and burt show. They might be holding younger players back but today they all played bad.

parralight

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
Before I start, well done Knights and Hagan. We were beaten well and truely but that didnt dampen a great day. Met a few more forum members and cant complain about much. Saw all the grades and enjoyed all of it.

The calls of dropping Burt, Wagon have already started. :roll:. Geez that didnt take long. We were beaten by a well drilled side who seemed to know all of plays. Timmy was taken out of the game, Morris was ineffective, Marsh unable to play the full 80 was what cost us. No creativity with Morris at hooker.

But its round 1 no point windging continually about Smith and players which shouldnt be in FG.

All of the plays ??????
Sorry - what plays do you mean ??????

I did not see one pass back inside, or one player running to a hole or one time when the ball travelling through more than 3 players hands on a tackle (usually only 1 or 2)

Dont tell me Hagan worked out the attacking ploys before hand - we did not offer one attacking raid that a well drilled ordinary NRL side could not handle.

I know that Michael Hagan cant wait to get his hands on the Eels - so very much potential....

(and for the record) - I thought that Luke Burt played Ok. What we desperately need is a 5/8 and for the life of me there must be a better prop forward running around than Nathan Cayless. You may be a good captain but you have to earn the right to be in the side in the first place.
When was the last time Cayless truly pushed for man of the match honours ?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Angry_eel said:
here we go again. the blame wagon and burt show. They might be holding younger players back but today they all played bad.

Wagon and Burt have been constently bad for us over a long period of time, our PL team are on fire again and first grade got smashed by a Newcastle side who didn't even play their best footy, doesn't that show there's changes that need to be made? You said yourself, they're holding good, young players back and neither Wagon, Burt or the young guys deserve that.

Angry_eel

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
Wagon and Burt have been constently bad for us over a long period of time, our PL team are on fire again and first grade got smashed by a Newcastle side who didn't even play their best footy, doesn't that show there's changes that need to be made? You said yourself, they're holding good, young players back and neither Wagon, Burt or the young guys deserve that.
i said 'they might be' doesn't really mean that they are. Anyway, as i said they ALL played bad today maybe except morro.

parralight

Juniors
We have the team to beat anyone in the competition.
We just need to let the backs get some quality ball and get Cayless and Wagon out of the backline !!!!!

KevinArnold

Juniors
We just need to let the backs get some quality ball

Slight problem there, we don't have a 5/8th. Thats what we should be targetting June 30 or give a youngster a go, but that won't happen this year as B.Smith wants to try and win it all this year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
KevinArnold said:
Slight problem there, we don't have a 5/8th. Thats what we should be targetting June 30 or give a youngster a go, but that won't happen this year as B.Smith wants to try and win it all this year.

that's right and there are 2 in Newcastle there for the taking, I thought Kurt Gidley was great last night.

thedux

Juniors
Poor ball control, particularly from the forwards set the platform. Don't really think Burt or Wagon were the main culprits...Cayless has been the main offender in this area for some time and Vella was particularly susceptible to the inside runner, which is nothing new. Just an all-round ordinary performance but at least this one came in round 1!!!

macavity

Referee
eelavation said:
that's right and there are 2 in Newcastle there for the taking, I thought Kurt Gidley was great last night.

LOL

don't you have enough players from up this way?

what about all these juniors you guys are supposed to have, or are you the new roosters?

Y2Eel

First Grade
macavity said:
LOL

don't you have enough players from up this way?

what about all these juniors you guys are supposed to have, or are you the new roosters?
who morris burt and tahu.. well you can have morris and burt back...

we dont need any other newcastle players..

Nikki

Coach
Caylo sh*t me to tears last night. How has he not learnt how to hang onto a ball after all these years of Football? I made the comment that they need to write all their kids names on the ball and maybe they will have more control over it then. lol.

The other thing that frustrated me, was too many times last night NO ONE was backin up Timmy. He had the passes ready only to turn around and see nothing behind him.

But agree with UTE. Hagan had our measure last night and I blame one person DENIS FITZGERALD. We signed Hagan up weeks ago so he was able to concentrate on his own team, whilst Smitty had to concentrate on finding himself another job. Good one Fitzy you tool!

Y2Eel

First Grade
Nikki said:
Caylo sh*t me to tears last night. How has he not learnt how to hang onto a ball after all these years of Football? I made the comment that they need to write all their kids names on the ball and maybe they will have more control over it then. lol.

The other thing that frustrated me, was too many times last night NO ONE was backin up Timmy. He had the passes ready only to turn around and see nothing behind him.

But agree with UTE. Hagan had our measure last night and I blame one person DENIS FITZGERALD. We signed Hagan up weeks ago so he was able to concentrate on his own team, whilst Smitty had to concentrate on finding himself another job. Good one Fitzy you tool!

Fair point on ball control that was the major problem last night we'd get into there 20 and drop it too many times..

nd poor timmy had to start and stop then pass to anyone or no one due to no body backing him up they should of had the back runing of his shoulder at times...

booeycollector

Juniors
We looked very ordinary. Round 1 over and hopefully we will be sharper next week. Cayless had a poor game but so did alot of others.

Oscarman

Juniors
Seriously, it's not the end of the world. In 2002 we scored 64 points against Penriff in the first game. Everyone thought we would go undefeated through the year and we just made the finals and were knocked out first week. We will only be 2 points off the lead after this weeks round. If we are still winless after 4 or 5 rounds, then there will be something to worry about.

Latest posts