What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OzTag contact rule interpretation

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
There seem to be many different variations of the contact rule in tag rugby. The union based tag rugby rulesets (ie Irish, RFU) seem to have draconian rules that punish all contact, deliberate and accidental, and even impending contact.

For example, here are examples of contact penalties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S_2fvELvsPU#t=360

The resulting game is very, very soft.

OzTag go with penalising all deliberate contact, stating

An attacker cannot deliberately bump into a defender nor can a defender deliberately bump or move into an attacker’s path to block. (The onus is on the attacking player to avoid defender).
This appears to be a better ruling, but the problem is some attacking players tend to run full ball at gaps in the line, even small gaps, and it can be very intimidating and dangerous to some players (girls, young-ins) to try and de-tag them. Is it possible to stop this play?

What in your experience is a good contact rule interpretation?

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
The Oztag ruling is good. Defenders have to put themselves in a position to make a tag, intimidated or not. If they cop a hit they get a penalty for it.

Danish

Referee
The Oztag contact rule is good.

Unfortunately its difficult to create rules that stop people being dickheads so you will get the occasional hero bloke running full steam at girls like cowards, but generally those guys are weeded out during the game

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The Oztag ruling is good. Defenders have to put themselves in a position to make a tag, intimidated or not. If they cop a hit they get a penalty for it.

But OzTag state :

"a defender [cannot] deliberately bump or move into an attacker?s path to block."

so why would the defender get a penalty? Seems contradictive, unless you read the onus on the attacker bit, but then why state the defenders cannot block?

newman

First Grade

But OzTag state :

so why would the defender get a penalty? Seems contradictive, unless you read the onus on the attacker bit, but then why state the defenders cannot block?

In oztag the attacker has to run into a gap. He can't run at, into or over a defender. However, a defender can't step into the path of an attacker to create the collision. It's much like the "charging" rule in basketball, defender is protected, but can't use the rule to gain an unfair adavantage.

If two players clatter into one another and no one is seemingly at obvious fault, it is play on.

newman

First Grade
yes, but at what point is the gap closed? at what distance between the two defenders? if an attacker runs through the arms of two side by side defenders is it a contact penalty?

Nope. There is only a penalty if there is body to body contact. The only time there would be no gap if there was 2 defenders standing shoulder to shoulder, but then there is a gap on each outside shoulder to run at. The whole scenario is aided by the fact that your tags are on the side of your body. Rep players are coached to stand in front of an attacker and wrap their arms around ripping off both tags if possible. In high level tag there is always a bit of a bump in these situations as two blokes are moving pretty fast. It is usually only a penalty if someone gets a head of steam up and charges into someone without altering their line.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Nope. There is only a penalty if there is body to body contact. The only time there would be no gap if there was 2 defenders standing shoulder to shoulder, but then there is a gap on each outside shoulder to run at. The whole scenario is aided by the fact that your tags are on the side of your body. Rep players are coached to stand in front of an attacker and wrap their arms around ripping off both tags if possible. In high level tag there is always a bit of a bump in these situations as two blokes are moving pretty fast. It is usually only a penalty if someone gets a head of steam up and charges into someone without altering their line.

OK, this is clearing things up. Cheers. The problem is when you are trying to attract newbies to your club you can't really play with the high-level interpretation, people can get too intimidated.

"Rep players are coached to stand in front of an attacker and wrap their arms around ripping off both tags if possible."

This is definitely a foul in some tag rugby interpretations, namely those run by union in Ireland and England. You can't reach across a body to go for the 'far' tag.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
my experience of oztag contact is that it depended on the ref. i've had blokes knock me over, i remember one guy smashed me from the side whilst i was trying to score a try (which was somehow allowed - the reason i didnt score was i was knocked onto the ground and therefore tagged) and i've seen other refs penalsie for the slightest touch.

without knowing specifically what the rule was i always assumed for the attacker it was like charging in basketball and for the defender you werent meant to be bumping or knocking people over but it was never consistently refereed for me to know what it was actually meant to be

Dogs Of War

Coach
This is definitely a foul in some tag rugby interpretations, namely those run by union in Ireland and England. You can't reach across a body to go for the 'far' tag.

Damn that's harsh. We taught all the new boys to do that, cause at least you can slow down the guy with the footy even if they can't get the tags off.

Kalo

Juniors
There seem to be many different variations of the contact rule in tag rugby. The union based tag rugby rulesets (ie Irish, RFU) seem to have draconian rules that punish all contact, deliberate and accidental, and even impending contact.

For example, here are examples of contact penalties:

The resulting game is very, very soft.

OzTag go with penalising all deliberate contact, stating

This appears to be a better ruling, but the problem is some attacking players tend to run full ball at gaps in the line, even small gaps, and it can be very intimidating and dangerous to some players (girls, young-ins) to try and de-tag them. Is it possible to stop this play?

What in your experience is a good contact rule interpretation?

Oz Tag is out the door - becoming lame and boring! No wonder NRL gave it the boot and went back to touch! TAG20 Rugby Tag is the BEST! try it:cool:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Oz Tag is out the door - becoming lame and boring! No wonder NRL gave it the boot and went back to touch! TAG20 Rugby Tag is the BEST! try it:cool:

Tag20 is exactly the same as OzTag except it appears all players must wear officially sanctionned Tag20 shorts. Yep, OK.

adamkungl

Immortal
OK, this is clearing things up. Cheers. The problem is when you are trying to attract newbies to your club you can't really play with the high-level interpretation, people can get too intimidated.

"Rep players are coached to stand in front of an attacker and wrap their arms around ripping off both tags if possible."

That's how I play. Position yourself as if you're making a tackle, the attacker will usually try to go around you (not allowed to go straight into you) so you're in a good position to grab either tag.

lol what are you dribbling about.

Kalo

Juniors
Tag20 is exactly the same as OzTag except it appears all players must wear officially sanctionned Tag20 shorts. Yep, OK.

Tag20Tag IS NOT the same as OZTag - first of all Tag20 tag only has 7 players. And the other most obvious difference is you can kick when ever, spin and JUMP anytime between defenders .... its a faster game

Kalo

Juniors
That's how I play. Position yourself as if you're making a tackle, the attacker will usually try to go around you (not allowed to go straight into you) so you're in a good position to grab either tag.

lol what are you dribbling about.

how you guys are going on about a rule that is unclear and it will always have inconsistant interpretation depending what country you play oztag in. Either fix the rule or change codes... Tag20 Tag doesnt have that problem.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
how you guys are going on about a rule that is unclear and it will always have inconsistant interpretation depending what country you play oztag in. Either fix the rule or change codes... Tag20 Tag doesnt have that problem.

Why does Tag20 not have this problem?

Latest posts