What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Championships 2024

jim_57

Staff member
Sure..tbf though they're both born in Australia.. it's not like they're ring ins.

On the other side of it Nanai, Taulagi, Sua, Fotuaika, Kaufusi, Leniu, Paulo & Utoikamanu were all born in NZ, just from squads the last 2 years.

I think we can assume at least a few of those would have opted for the Kiwis if Origin didn’t exist or they could play both like they can for the Islands.

Last edited:

MRN

Bench
Dearden and Moses as halfback partnership? How the mighty Kangaroos have fallen!
Cleary and Munster ruled out through injury. With Cherry-Evans being dropped I'm not sure what other options we have. Hynes playing with zero confidence, Reynolds held together by scotch tape. Keary on his way to Super League so unlikely he gets picked as he wouldn't be eligible while over there. Even outside chance Sam Walker is injured. I think that combination is our best healthy and available option, with Burton as cover. Can only play with the hand you're dealt.

MKCS

Juniors
Aussie side looking the weakest it has in quite some time. Top 17 possibly looking like?

1. Edwards 2. Coates 3. Fidow 4. Trbojevic 5. Lomax 6. Dearden 7. Moses 8. Cotter 9. Grant 10. Collins 11. Crichton 12. Martin 13. Yeo (C)

14. Hunt 15. L. Smith 16. Barnett 17. Carrigan

MKCS

Juniors
Cleary and Munster ruled out through injury. With Cherry-Evans being dropped I'm not sure what other options we have. Hynes playing with zero confidence, Reynolds held together by scotch tape. Keary on his way to Super League so unlikely he gets picked as he wouldn't be eligible while over there. Even outside chance Sam Walker is injured. I think that combination is our best healthy and available option, with Burton as cover. Can only play with the hand you're dealt.

The cause for concern is that Cleary and Munster should be wanting to play these games for Australia even if banged up and nursing minor injuries. From a marketability aspect the people have been promised the best of Australian rugby league playing in this tournament but there isn't a lot of star power or the games best taking part in the team. Munster and Cleary are both superstars but want to rest after the NRL season, Latrell isn't here, Ponga didn't want to play, Walsh isn't in the side, mix in the top tier players from island nations wanting to play for their respective countries and the Australian side seems a bit lacklustre.

You're right in what you say though, I probably would've gone Dearden/Cherry-Evans simply because I don't see Moses being a long term option for the Australian national team and DCE has longevity, experience and deserves a send off but it is a sad state of affairs that Dearden/Moses is our best halves combo, especially since Moses spent most of 2024 on the sidelines.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They used to say Kangaroos could field three sides and still win. Aussie pack grateful NAS is suspended!

Kangaroos squad for Pacific Championships

Mitch Barnett (Warriors) ?

Matt Burton (Bulldogs) YES

Bradman Best (Knights) YES

Pat Carrigan (Broncos) YES

Xavier Coates (Storm) YES

Lindsay Collins (Roosters) YES

Reuben Cotter (Cowboys) ?

Angus Crichton (Roosters) ?

Tom Dearden (Cowboys) YES

Dylan Edwards (Panthers) YES

Harry Grant (Storm) – vice captain YES

Ben Hunt (Dragons) BOO

Zac Lomax (Dragons) YES

Liam Martin (Panthers)?

Mitch Moses (Eels) YES

Cameron Murray (Rabbitohs) YES

Reece Robson (Cowboys) YES

Lindsay Smith (Panthers) YES

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Dolphins)

Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles) YES

Isaah Yeo (Panthers) – captain ?

I like the new halves combo of Moses/ Dearden. Will Burton play the utility role?