What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Cup 2024

warriors 95

Juniors
I remember Bradley Clyde pulling off a cover tackle on McCracken and McCracken punching him as he was standing up. No hint of a whistle.
haha!! McCracken was a hothead wasn’t he.
I also remember Bob Lindner breaking his leg and one of the Kiwis blatantly knocking the ball out of his hands. The ref calling knock on and play on and we scored in the corner with Lindner laying on the ground.
french ref?
different times indeed
id go as far to say better times.

Blair

Coach
I was yet to turn 10 in 1992, but can still vividly recall Harris and Cairns in the field producing run outs at crucial times.

I was 10 during the 'underarm' summer in Aussie. It's a great age to be taking it all in. You never forget it.

In '92 our ODI form had been decining for years (about '84/85 our standards slipped markedly from the dizzying days of the early-'80s) and no one gave us a chance in that World Cup. In fact, our form in the lead-up series against England had been terrible.

I remember the national anthems in the first match agaimst Australia and I got emotional. I don't think I was alone in thinking, 'c'mon, boys! We've got your backs'.

And look what happened.

Blair

Coach
First game of international league I ever watched. I re-watched it so many times (didn't ever re-watch games 2 and 3 in that series)

Still remember Lonergan doing a haka-siezure after the first hit up. Then coming back on to play lol

Such a mismatch, on paper, looking back. Tony Kemp v Wally Lewis. Mal Meninga v Dave Watson.

I still remember Paul Hauff having an absolute shocker.
I was too late in rescuing it from my parents' place (chucked out only two years ago) but I had a copy (the foldover 'newspaper' version) of RLW from that test match. It had a jubilant Freeman and McCracken on the front cover.

The next two were disastrous though. McCracken was sent-off early in the second test (along with a Kangaroo, Peter Jackson?) so the refereeing wasn't quite so laissez-faire as it could've been.

I thought that upset our rythym far more than Australia's. They were just more professional, more determined, and they routed us.

The third test was marginally better. McCracken scored a fine try, with a nice angled run, to make it about 14-6 (just before, or just after halftime, from memory) which brought us, briefly, back into the match, and series. Once the Roos ruthlessly kicked on, that pulsating first test win seemed so long ago.

Latest posts