What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Islander owned 18th NRL club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Coz Perth getting 6k viewers. Much more ppl will watch in Brisbane
The same people who are currently watching. At least Perth/Adelaide opens up a big market for new viewers. Brisbane is just the same viewers watching another game. Its also been shown that the Sydney drop off when a Brisbane team is playing is higher than when other cities teams are playing, so in effect that gain is much less than you think. Storm are one of the most watched teams in the comp. If Perth are as popular as Storm on TV then its a win for Tv and the NRL with a new market for sponsors. Not to mention the advantage of the Sunday 6pm time for a new game to sell that perth brings.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The unknown here is NZ TV, FTA coverage now. Hopefully they go well in the world cup and can build from there
yes there is a great opportunity at long last for more exposure across NZ. The sky deal only went up though (and we still dont know by how much cash) due to SPARK entering the bidding. its not like Sky NZ found a new love for RL. If NZ2 isnt to be on the radar anytime soon then more games played across NZ is a must for the NRL.

Pippen94

First Grade
The same people who are currently watching. At least Perth/Adelaide opens up a big market for new viewers. Brisbane is just the same viewers watching another game. Its also been shown that the Sydney drop off when a Brisbane team is playing is higher than when other cities teams are playing, so in effect that gain is much less than you think. Strom are one of the most watched teams in the comp. If Perth are as popular as Storm on TV then its a win for Tv and the NRL with a new market for sponsors. Not to mention the advantage of the Sunday 6pm time for a new game to sell that perth brings.

Great, tell fox & nine that wanted bris2 but not Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth dead & colked are just trolls. Proposing recreation of superleague
haha, no proposing the game get a national metro reach to maximise revenue. Shit ARL could see it in 1992. You wouldn't have thought 30 years later there would be people like yourself still blind to what's needed.

Colk

First Grade
Yes it does dummy

No it doesn’t. Why would I pay more for a market which there is already strong penetration in? If I add a third side in Brisbane the total amount of people that I can sell my product to hasn’t changed; thus it doesn’t add anything for me.

Colk

First Grade
So 2 hours of Live sport with 300k-400k is worth nothing?

At some stage they will play Broncos, Souffs, etc

The possible market that I can sell to hasn’t increased has it? This is why adding sides to markets that you already have a presence in doesn’t make any sense.

The only possible market you have increased, depending on where you put it is in NZ. So it is of benefit to New Zealand advertisers

Colk

First Grade
We do need to expand, Not just in random areas with no local support. Also not every area can nor wants to sustain a team

I agree. There are different opinions on what can sustain a team however. For example an area like PNG may want a team but there is no way that they could financially sustain one. The same possibly with this idea depending on the logistics of it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I can’t read the articles but how would this work logistically? Where would they be based? Where would they play?
If it's the same NFL guys that have been trying to buy into Super Rugby, MLR, etc, over the past few years then their plans were basically Moana Pasifika but, frankly, racist in the typical ignorant American style.

Their idea was to have a "Pacific Islander" owned and run pro-football club that exclusively hired Polynesian staff and tried to appeal to the "Pacific Islander community" as their fanbase. They seemed to be very flexible on where the team would be based so long as they could do what they wanted to do with the club, because their plan was that the team would only have a home in a figurative sense as their home and fanbase would be wherever the "Pacific Islander community" existed.

It's kind of hard to explain, but they truly seemed to believe that there's some racial unity among Pacific Islanders (and when they said Pacific Islanders they meant exclusively Polynesians BTW) and that because of that any PI's would support the team because of that. So in other words the team might be based in e.g. Auckland for the sake of practicality, but their fanbase wouldn't be targeted towards the people of Auckland, it'd be targeted towards all Polynesians no matter their ethnicity, nationality, or where they lived.

There was another very similar Super Rugby bid from Hawaii as well, but I believe that that was a separate consortium.

In saying all that we don't know anything about this bid other than a couple of headlines, so it could turn out that it's a completely different consortium with completely different plans for the club. Frankly I hope it is, because the last thing we need is America to export more of it's race politics crap into our society, but I digress.

The Great Dane

First Grade
didn't some tonga hawaiian american NFL guy want to buy the titans a couple of years ago?
It was the Warriors he was trying to buy, and he was a very, very dodgy senator from Hawaii.

It honestly looked like he wasn't a serious bidder and was just a plant to push the value of the club up, so yeah it was a very dodgy situation all round.

Colk

First Grade
If it's the same NFL guys that have been trying to buy into Super Rugby, MLR, etc, over the past few years then their plans were basically Moana Pasifika but, frankly, racist in the typical ignorant American style.

Their idea was to have a "Pacific Islander" owned and run pro-football club that exclusively hired Polynesian staff and tried to appeal to the "Pacific Islander community" as their fanbase. They seemed to be very flexible on where the team would be based so long as they could do what they wanted to do with the club, because their plan was that the team would only have a home in a figurative sense as their home and fanbase would be wherever the "Pacific Islander community" existed.

It's kind of hard to explain, but they truly seemed to believe that there's some racial unity among Pacific Islanders (and when they said Pacific Islanders they meant exclusively Polynesians BTW) and that because of that any PI's would support the team because of that. So in other words the team might be based in e.g. Auckland for the sake of practicality, but their fanbase wouldn't be targeted towards the people of Auckland, it'd be targeted towards all Polynesians no matter their ethnicity, nationality, or where they lived.

There was another very similar Super Rugby bid from Hawaii as well, but I believe that that was a separate consortium.

In saying all that we don't know anything about this bid other than a couple of headlines, so it could turn out that it's a completely different consortium with completely different plans for the club. Frankly I hope it is, because the last thing we need is America to export more of it's race politics crap into our society, but I digress.

If that part is true then that can’t work.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If that part is true then that can’t work.
I can't find it now (I should have saved it, but at the time there was no reason to believe that it'd ever be pertinent again), but I remember a representative of either the NFL bid or Hawaii bid saying that they'd have better support in cities like Auckland and Christchurch than the Blues and Crusaders because the Islander community would support them over the local team.

So yeah, they were totally delusional.

Colk

First Grade
I can't find it now (I should have saved it, but at the time there was no reason to believe that it'd ever be pertinent again), but I remember a representative of either the NFL bid or Hawaii bid saying that they'd have better support in cities like Auckland and Christchurch than the Blues and Crusaders because the Islander community would support them over the local team.

So yeah, they were totally delusional.

As opposed to just putting a side in Auckland and Christchurch and making sure that they are well run and successful which would then naturally engender support from all types of communities.

People just make things way too complicated sometimes.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The big question is how much will the Australian networks pay for a 9th game if the 18th team isn't an Aussie club, compared to (say) Perth or another Queensland club, or the Bears?

Further to that, will Sky "pick up the slack" and cover the difference if an NZ and/or PI club is set to earn less broadcasting coin from Australian networks than an Aussie option for team 18?
Sky would pay more, though we wouldn’t be talking double what they currently pay. They’re currently paying for broadcast rights to the whole competition but a big chunk of that is because of the Warriors being there- if there was another NZ team that doubles the number of NZ games and makes it a more valuable product for Sky. Theoretically it’d be similar to what another club in an area of Aus that already has a league following but isn’t yet saturated would add.

Wb1234

Referee
Sky would pay more, though we wouldn’t be talking double what they currently pay. They’re currently paying for broadcast rights to the whole competition but a big chunk of that is because of the Warriors being there- if there was another NZ team that doubles the number of NZ games and makes it a more valuable product for Sky. Theoretically it’d be similar to what another club in an area of Aus that already has a league following but isn’t yet saturated would add.
All they need to pay is 18 million to cover the cost of the new team

then the Aussie broadcasters will be pure profit as they pay for the extra games each week