What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

packer to debut!!

blain

Juniors
this weeks team

LANCE HOHAIA
MICHAEL CROCKETT
BRENT TATE
RYAN SHORTLAND
AIDAN KIRK
MICHAEL WITT
GRANT ROVELLI
SAM RAPIRA
NATHAN FIEN
EVARN TUIMAVAVE
SIMON MANNERING
LOGAN SWANN
MICHEAL LUCK (c)

Interchange:
IAN HENDERSON
RUSSELL PACKER
EPALAHAME LAUAKI
WAIRANGI KOOPU

they must not like solomona....... they say wiki is injured.

ozbash

Referee
Injuries have left the Vodafone Warriors with only 17 fit players in their NRL squad for Sunday’s eighth-round clash against the Canberra Raiders at Mt Smart Stadium.
Veteran prop Ruben Wiki and promising second rower Sonny Fai are the latest to join the casualty list.
Wiki (35) has been ruled out of the match against his old club with a hand injury while Fai (20) picked up a shoulder complaint playing for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in their 36-28 NYC win against Gold Coast on Sunday.
Also out of contention for the match were prop Steve Price (hamstring), fullback Wade McKinnon (knee), centre Jerome Ropati (hamstring), wingers Manu Vatuvei (leg) and Patrick Ah Van (neck) and prop Herman Retzlaff (hand).
The injury toll has created an opportunity for 18-year-old prop Russell Packer to make his NRL debut off the bench after a string of impressive performances in the under-20 competition. He'll become the club's 141st NRL player.
With Vatuvei out for four to six weeks with a spiral fracture in his left fibula, Aidan Kirk returns on the wing for his second NRL match after playing for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup since his first-grade debut against Melbourne on March 17.
“We had a great run with injuries last year but it’s obviously our turn for a change of luck now,” said coach Ivan Cleary.
“It’s something we’ve had to deal with all year. That’s the way it is in this competition and now we just have to dig that little bit deeper against Canberra on Sunday.
“We’ve performed well at home and had our issues on the road but that doesn’t mean it will all fall into place now we’re back at Mt Smart Stadium.
“The boys love playing here and they’ll need all the support possible on Sunday.
“It’s a great chance for Russell to have a taste of the NRL. He has done everything asked of him in the NYC.
“It also means we’ve had a second player who has come up from under-20s into first grade this season (after Fai), which is a good sign for our development programme.”
The Vodafone Warriors used only 23 players in 26 matches last year but, with Packer called up this weekend, they’ll equal that number after just eight matches this season.
He has made the most runs (128) of any player in the NYC and is gaining an average of more than 180 metres a game.
After his NRL debut at fullback, Kirk has been used in a utility role for the Vulcans at a time when they have put together a run of form that has lifted them to fifth spot in the NSW Cup. Kirk has scored three tries in the last five games.
Sunday’s match will be the first in Auckland between the Vodafone Warriors and the Raiders since 2005. The home side won 24-16 then but the Raiders prevailed in both matches in Canberra in 2006 and 2007.
With Price and Wiki both out Micheal Luck will be captain in his 58th consecutive match since joining the club. He also led the side against the Titans last Sunday.
www.warriors.co.nz

Micistm

Bench
Lol. Heard the team on Priceys hour on Radio Sport before. Like listening to that on Tuesdays, chills me out and makes me think things aren't so bad.

Alehana

Juniors
what the......... rovelli is still there and lauaki. cleary needs his eye checked after last weeks game.

Great to c packer there, what ever happend to malo, i thought he'd be wing this week for sure

and con mika, any1 know how he's going, heard he's good few years ago.

Scorpio30

Bench
this weeks team

LANCE HOHAIA
MICHAEL CROCKETT
BRENT TATE
RYAN SHORTLAND
AIDAN KIRK
MICHAEL WITT
GRANT ROVELLI
SAM RAPIRA
NATHAN FIEN
EVARN TUIMAVAVE
SIMON MANNERING
LOGAN SWANN
MICHEAL LUCK (c)

Interchange:
IAN HENDERSON
RUSSELL PACKER
EPALAHAME LAUAKI
WAIRANGI KOOPU

they must not like solomona....... they say wiki is injured.

That bench (except Henderson is just AWFULL)....I hope Packer can take the step up!

And Swann....Please FO

JB

Juniors
Go Packer! I predict he'll be the Tim Southee of the Warriors, and look like he just belongs in 1st grade.

Wtf Kirk on the wing!!! Seen parking meter's with more speed! Find another club Malo. Your 5th in line here.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Packer has looked a gun in the lower grades, will be interesting to see how he goes

Hope the media don't hype things up too much and just let him play

Read in the paper over here Logan Swann is averaging 47 minutes per game, the same as Wiki. Cant carry 2 passengers like that but id rather Swann go and keep Wiki.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Gotta suspect that Wikis injury is more a face-saver than anything else.

Re he and Swannmaking the same average metres, hows their tackling stats compare? Remember Swanns a second rower, it's not so much his job to make the hard yards. That said I haven't seen him tackling his arse off either.

Good to see Fudge get the call-up, I'll be watching with interest.

LeagueMad

Juniors
AWESOME News have watched this kid come through the grades definitley a kiwi prop for the future KIA KAHA Russell

shinobi

Juniors
I watched Fai play in the NYC game and he dominated but he had zero impact in FG i hope this isnt the same case for Packer cos he looks like a great player. Must suck being a prop playing reserves when someone from under 20;s beats you to a spot.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Retzlaff might have been promoted before him if he hadn't been injured.

Fai had little impact in FG because he got about 20-30 minutes game time each game and hardly even saw the ball.