What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packers Tell Favre - "See Ya Later"

kurt faulk

Coach

the packers have had enough of the indecisive one and told him to play his soap opera somewhere else.

favre has asked for a release.

the packers should've moved him at least 5 years ago.

you gotta feel sorry for aaron rodgers, although all he has to do is play competently while favre is throwing into triple coverage elsewhere and the fans will soon forget about "should i stay or should i go" boy.

thankfully favre won't be going anywhere near the rams.

Jono078

Referee
I think the Vikings would be a good fit, although there would probably be some clause where he can't play against the Packers.

Hopefully Tarvaris Jackson can go solid, then if not him hopefully John David Booty gets a chance. I don't think much of Gus Frerotte sp?

kurt faulk

Coach
Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer 2 hours, 51 minutes ago

capt.cps.myw89.110708235621.photo00.photo.default-512x351.jpg
http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AuBe8J...orts/index.php?rn=207187&cl=8778292&ch=243724Favre asks for release

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—The Green Bay Packers’ general manager and coach don’t plan to grant Brett Favre’s request for his release. If he does rejoin the team, they told The Associated Press, it won’t be as the starting quarterback.
And Favre is unlikely to accept a backup role, GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged Saturday in their first public comments since the 38-year-old Favre demanded his release this week.
A trade may be the best resolution, but Thompson and McCarthy declined to discuss that possibility. Thompson said he had not received any inquiries from other teams as of Saturday morning.
“We’ve communicated that to Brett, that we have since moved forward,” Thompson said. “At the same time, we’ve never said that there couldn’t be some role that he might play here. But I would understand his point that he would want to play.”
When asked whether that role might be as a backup or coach, Thompson said: “not a coach.”

Added McCarthy: “He did ask about that, though.”
Favre, who led the Packers to a Super Bowl title after the 1996 season, held a tearful news conference to announce his retirement March 6. The Packers planned to begin the season with Aaron Rodgers as the starting quarterback.
McCarthy said he and Thompson were in constant communication with Favre throughout the offseason.
“Quite frankly, it’s a little gut-wrenching as an organization to go through it, and certainly for Mike and myself,” Thompson said. “This stuff hurts a lot of people. I mean, it hurts. I’m not talking about physically hurting, but the sensitivity. We understand where the fans are coming from. This is a hot-button issue that surpasses anything I’ve ever gone through.”

kurt faulk

Coach
Packers turn down Favre”s request

57 minutes ago

GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN (TICKER) —The Green Bay Packers have said no to Brett Favre.
General manager Ted Thompson said Saturday that the team will not honor Favre’s request for a release, another indication that the relationship between the parties is growing further strained.

The Packers did say that the former quarterback could rejoin the team as a backup to Aaron Rodgers. However, Favre had asked for a release, which would give him the opportunity to sign with another team if he decides to come out of retirement.
“Favre’s welcomed back, but the scenery has changed,” Thompson said. “There may be a different role. He becomes an active member of the roster, and then we’ll see how it goes from there. We don’t have the answers right now, because it hasn’t happened, and we don’t know that it will.”

Favre’s request came three days after a conference call with team officials in which the future Hall of Fame quarterback emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008. On March 5, he announced he retirement during a tear-filled press conference.
“We understand this is a very volatile, sensitive thing,” Thompson added. “Fans are unbelievably passionate about this team and passionate about Brett Favre. We understand that, and we’re going to try to stay steady, consistent, and try to do the right thing for Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.”

The Packers issued a statement Friday afternoon acknowledging Favre’s wishes, but ESPN.com reported that they were not receptive about his possible return to the team and wanted “to move forward”, which prompted Favre’s request for a release.
“Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms,” the statement read. “We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion.
“Brett’s press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement. The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.”

During Tuesday’s conference call, the 38-year-old Favre also said he felt pressured by the team and never was 100 percent when he decided to retire in March.

Currently on the reserve-retired list, Favre has three years remaining on his contract for a total of $39 million.

If Favre was to write Commissioner Roger Goodell a letter to request his reinstatement to the Packers’ active 80-man roster, the team would have to comply or release him, according to league policy.
Favre has been in communication with coach Mike McCarthy during the offseason but had not spoken to Thompson until this week.

Favre spent 16 of his 17 seasons with the Packers, becoming one of the most beloved players in franchise history. He is the NFL’s all-time leader in touchdowns (442), completions (5,377), attempts (8,758), yards (61,555) and wins (160).

eastsrule

Bench
This is why I don't really like him.

He is ruining his legacy. He had the chance to go out off a good season and on his own terms, what else does he have to prove?

My understanding is that he has a "gentleman's agreement" with the Packers front office that he doesn't go to an NFC North team.

abpanther

Staff member
Can't believe this, GB has bent over backwards for the bloke, poor Rodgers has been waiting in the wings for 3 years, they asked him if he wanted to come back before the draft and he said no, thus they drafted Brohm, and now he wants to come back. The guy is such a media whore, I say trade him to the AFC, get what you can with him and be gone with it. I think Rodgers will do well this season and will be a nice FF sleeper.

dragonfire

Bench
yep hard on Rodgers, if Favre plays elsewhere there is going to continuing comparing. Vikings would make a good run if they got Favre, they would have a lethal attack though they have a weak secondary

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I reckon he'll be a Baltimore or Miami, however he probably wants a team with a legit chance? so who knows..

I'd love to have him in Buffalo for a year.

Parki

Bench
favre owes the packers nothing

f**ken carried that team for the last few years, off his own back

he is my favourite player, and while it makes me sad to think that he might be playing for someone else, he has earned that right.... 17 uninterrupted seasons fielding broken fingers and god knows what else gives him that right

aaron rodgers will be lucky if hes half the player brett favre is

eastsrule

Bench
yep hard on Rodgers, if Favre plays elsewhere there is going to continuing comparing. Vikings would make a good run if they got Favre, they would have a lethal attack though they have a weak secondary

Darren Sharper, Antoin Winflied, Cedric Griffin say hello.

Parki

Bench
lol.... your ripping on favre and you support the patriots

you should never be allowed to mention "doing the right thing" ever tbh

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
im a pats fan aswell.... but serious farve had his good farewell season and should just piss off and get a job with espn or something

eastsrule

Bench
im a pats fan aswell.... but serious farve had his good farewell season and should just piss off and get a job with espn or something

Favre is metaphorically spitting on his legacy.

He has the opportunity to go out on a fairly good season and to go out with the blessings of fans and the team that he basically made.

Instead, he wants to keep playing. Why? Greed.

Big Tim

First Grade
He wants to play because he has played the game for about 80% of his life..... hard to walk away from, especially with training camp around the corner.

Latest posts