What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pakistan in NZ - Pyjama tour 2017/18

JJ

Immortal
Put blame where it belongs.

KW, Kitchen and even Guptil faced the most balls, and were not able to acore at the Run Rate required.

CDG - failed all round.
I did - Hesson, Larsen and Williamson

Kitchen and Blundell are shit but not their fault they were picked

JJ

Immortal
JJ - I don't see how Blundell facing only 5 balls comes into it. We lost by plenty.
Not this game, he's just not a good selection, I'm not even convinced he should be in the test lineup if Watling is hurt, Larsen has a Monet for him because he's from Wellington

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Not this game, he's just not a good selection, I'm not even convinced he should be in the test lineup if Watling is hurt, Larsen has a Monet for him because he's from Wellington

Larsen has moved to Nelson.

JJ - I respect you, and you know a tonne about sports, not just cricket.

But not even Seifert is saving this game.

Gup, KW and Kitchen did not score enough from balls faced.

Did we leak too many runs? Maybe.

But either way - Blundell isn't to blame and Seifert was not going to save the game in 5 balls.

JJ

Immortal
I said from the start that Kitchen at 3 was a piss take

Blundell was a dumb selection

I also said Pakistan could wellbhave beaten us anyway they were impressive

Iafeta

Referee
Kane has got runs this summer. But he hasn't looked himself. His timing is way off. Tonight he was well down on confidence and was like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Kitchen isn't an international bat. They worked out to not feed him short and wide rubbish and you'll tie him down.

Guptills dismissal was so bad. Last ball of Shadab and then he had the pace bowlers to go after and he throws it away.

Sodhi and Bruces drop catches were sitters. Cost NZ a lot of runs, about time NZ paid for a summer of really bad out cricket.

The difference between Southee and Boult and the Pakistanis was huge. They bowled two lengths and never hit the wicket hard. They were unable to cramp them up.

The only positive I see is Taylor sticking it up Hesson and Larsen who for some god unknown reason believe he's not T20 material. He had a couple of rough summers due to eyesight issues. Nothing more. Nothing less.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Kane has got runs this summer. But he hasn't looked himself. His timing is way off. Tonight he was well down on confidence and was like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Kitchen isn't an international bat. They worked out to not feed him short and wide rubbish and you'll tie him down.

Guptills dismissal was so bad. Last ball of Shadab and then he had the pace bowlers to go after and he throws it away.

Sodhi and Bruces drop catches were sitters. Cost NZ a lot of runs, about time NZ paid for a summer of really bad out cricket.

The difference between Southee and Boult and the Pakistanis was huge. They bowled two lengths and never hit the wicket hard. They were unable to cramp them up.

The only positive I see is Taylor sticking it up Hesson and Larsen who for some god unknown reason believe he's not T20 material. He had a couple of rough summers due to eyesight issues. Nothing more. Nothing less.

This is a good post Ifaeta.

But I can tell you why Taylor was dropped. He was starting too slow and he got into his head and stated publicly that he was an off side player in all formats and was going to stop slogging to leg as much.*

He seems to be over that now, he is hustling from ball 1 and happy to hit to cow corner again.

I'm sure this will get him selected more often if he continues it.

His eye op seems to be improving his success in the slips.

*When MD Crowe first saw him, he thought Ross was a filthy onside slogger. MD Crowe developed his straight and off side game - Taylor's on side and square game is natural. Imo Ross went too far in MD Crowe's imminent and actual death of paying tribute at the expense of his natural t20 talents.

Last edited:

JohnDoe

Juniors
No surprises that Boult and Southee's bowling went back to being poor once Jurgenson came back. Jurgenson is such a shit bowling coach.

Hope that it's the end of Kitchen's career if you want a part time spinner then get Kane to bowl.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
No surprises that Boult and Southee's bowling went back to being poor once Jurgenson came back. Jurgenson is such a shit bowling coach.

Hope that it's the end of Kitchen's career if you want a part time spinner then get Kane to bowl.

I like your posts John. Saves me typing so much.

JohnDoe

Juniors
JJ - I don't see how Blundell facing only 5 balls comes into it. We lost by plenty.

It's not the fact that he only faced 5 balls it's what he did with those 5 balls that was the problem. He needed to swing not try fancy little dinks.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
It's not the fact that he only faced 5 balls it's what he did with those 5 balls that was the problem. He needed to swing not try fancy little dinks.

Yeah - I don't disagree with this. As I said earlier - he was looking like a 1 trick pony.

But 1 trick is often enough for a good career if its a good un.

I'm far more upset with our top 3 batting chasing that score than Blundell - who may well take Starc or Bumrah to the cleaners with that attempted ramp shot. But he needs more outs for slower ball bowlers. That's for sure.

I expect more from KW and Guppie - I expect sfa from Kitchen, I just wish he'd tried and failed earlier instead of chewing up so many dot balls.

JohnDoe

Juniors
Yeah - I don't disagree with this. As I said earlier - he was looking like a 1 trick pony.

But 1 trick is often enough for a good career if its a good un.

I'm far more upset with our top 3 batting chasing that score than Blundell - who may well take Starc or Bumrah to the cleaners with that attempted ramp shot. But he needs more outs for slower ball bowlers. That's for sure.

I expect more from KW and Guppie - I expect sfa from Kitchen, I just wish he'd tried and failed earlier instead of chewing up so many dot balls.

Guptill has changed the way he bats since Munro has started opening. He's trying to play the anchor role. He already used to face a high level of dot balls, now it's even more magnified. Guptill and Munro need to do an England go hard from both ends.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Guptill has changed the way he bats since Munro has started opening. He's trying to play the anchor role. He already used to face a high level of dot balls, now it's even more magnified. Guerilla and Munro need to do an England go hard from both ends.

I like this, I just qualify that I'm happy for both to do as they see fit per ball.

JohnDoe

Juniors
Only 7 NZ players in the IPL this year. Guptill was put up for auction 3 times and went unsold each time lol.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Only 7 NZ players in the IPL this year. Guptill was put up for auction 3 times and went unsold each time lol.

Yeah, but he has failed time and time again in India.

Guptill not selling is not a surprise.

Mujeeb out earning every Kiwi player at 16 years of age is, though.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Is there no hotspot today?

I dont recall it being used once.

I don't appear to be the only person who noticed its absence. There is a belief that someone, I presume at Sky, has penny pinched on the cost of it and not had it operational at Tauranga.

I know that some tech is very expensive, Hawk Eye was initially very costly, and Zing makes thousands of dollars for their stumps and bails each and every game, but I think it is poor not having the usual tech available for all home games. I am unaware what the host board pays for and what the broadcaster pays for. Or how they come to an arrangement.

I know India do not use hotspot, but while NZ lost fair and square, I was not entirely convinced with snicko of Ross Taylor getting out, and nor was he. I would have loved for hotspot to have been used there as we have grown accustomed to.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news/article.cfm?c_id=29&objectid=11983981
There should be fewer arguments following Ross Taylor's controversial dismissal against Pakistan, with hot spot returning for the big games against Australia and England.

Added cost is being given as the reason why hot spot was missing for the T20 matches against the West Indies and Pakistan, but it will be back for the opening Tri-Series T20 clash between Australia and New Zealand in Sydney on Saturday night.

Captain Sarfraz Ahmed jumped with joy as Pakistan's consecutive wins brought a brilliant end to their tour, with Taylor's dismissal in Mt Maunganui rated as crucial by the visitors.

Taylor promised Pakistan he had not hit the ball during a loss which saw the visitors usurp New Zealand as the No. 1 ranked T20 nation. Taylor shook his head with disapproval following his dismissal, when he was adjudged by the third umpire to have edged a Mohammad Amir delivery.

Taylor told Radio Sport's Martin Devlin he believed hot spot should always be on call.

"I think so, if the technology is there," said Taylor, who guessed it was a "funding issue".

"If it was there it might have saved me, or showed I hit it. I didn't feel anything."

A 39-run fifth-wicket stand between Tom Bruce (22 off 15 balls) and Taylor (25 off 11 balls) had given New Zealand late hope.

Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur described Amir's over to Taylor as "pivotal" but believed Taylor was out.

"Yeah. There was certainly a (snicko) spike, you've got to say he probably did," Arthur said.

New Zealand coach Mike Hesson was more circumspect.

"The spike obviously occurred at the right time, but without hot spot it's difficult, and they rely on RTS (real-time snickometer)," he said.

"My personal view is that to overturn a decision I'm not a huge fan of only one bit of technology, but that's life."

A New Zealand Cricket spokesperson said in the agreement with Sky, hot spot was scrapped for the West Indies and Pakistan T20 games to save money.

The overall Decision Review System was introduced for T20 cricket last year. Authorities had previously said they wanted to avoid delays in games.

Following the Tri-Series, New Zealand plays five ODIs against England then tests at Eden Park and Hagley Oval.

edabomb

First Grade
Kitchen retains his spot for the first tri series match. So odd he has become a priority in T20 at 33.

Latest posts