What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panesar racially abused

Tommy Smith

Referee
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausveng/content/current/story/267740.html

New South Wales v England XI, Sydney

Panesar abused by Sydney crowd

Cricinfo staff
November 13, 2006

spacer.gif

Australia's cricket authorities face a stern test of their new hardline anti-racism laws, after it was reported that Monty Panesar had been taunted as "a stupid Indian who can't speak English", during England's three-day warm-up match against New South Wales at Sydney.
Panesar, who underwent counselling from the team psychologist, Steve Bull, ahead of England's trip Down Under, was fielding on the boundary fence under the Clive Churchill Stand, when he was abused by a group of fans on the opening day of the match.

Sydney's Daily Telegraph reported that a spectator had shouted: "Give us a wave Monty. You can't speak English you stupid Indian, I'll have to say it in Indian. What are you doing playing in the English side, you're not English."
No official complaint has been made, although the paper added that both Panesar and the South African-born Kevin Pietersen were subjected to similar abuse during England's opening fixture of the tour in Canberra on Friday, where eight people were ejected from the ground for unruly behaviour.

Under the new regulations, fans may face lifetime bans if they are found guilty of racial abuse during a match, while the venues themselves could be stripped of international status if they fail to act on any transgressions. The SCG Trust, who are responsible for the upkeep of the ground, admitted that three people had been ejected for excessive drunkenness.

Australia's racism problem came to light during South Africa's tour of the country last year, when Graeme Smith's men complained of the use of the derogatory term "kaffir". This week, Smith himself warned Panesar of the reception he was likely to get, adding: "We all shivered at the prospect of what he could be in for."

A spokesman for the England team said: "We have come out here to play the game with dignity, and we expect the Australian fans will show the sportsmanship they are renowned for and hope they will respect the players both on and off the field."

© Cricinfo

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear, it didnt take long for the braindead, uncultured idiots to make the news. One can only hope that this will only be an isolated incident.

Every country has its racist scum, but on the whole Australia is a pretty tolerant multi-cultural society. So one would hope that incidents like these following on from last years racial abuse of RSA players doesnt continue and damage Australia's international reputation.

I say ban 'em for life and have them publically named and shamed.

HevyDevy

Coach
It's a shame there are idiots like this around.

Of course, it will now be ammunition for JJ, Sanjane and Angry Eel to label Australians racist

JJ

Immortal
you're being pretty f**king precious Hevy... There's racism everywhere, I have simply taken issue with comments made by EL D, which whether racist or not could be interpreted that way.

It's sad that morons get their kicks from anonomously abusing sportspeople in any form - even moreso when it's racially motivated then it becomes disgraceful. Certainly not unique to Australia, but I think it needs to be addressed wherever it occurs rather than the standard line of "a small number of idiots" being trotted out

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he is Indian,

how is that racist

Pietersen is also South African and I'm Australian

as far as him being called an idiot, there will always be the ravings of drunk lunatics at evey cricket game in every country

I'm not condoning what was said, but if this bothers him, no wonder he needed a shrink

JJ

Immortal
this debate will go nowhere quickly given the immediate defensive responses of hevy and twizzle (when nobody has attacked)...

all I'll say is that it's a slippery slope and the line has to be drawn somewhere

Panjabi

Juniors
Australian crowds have been criticised for generating racially motivated abuse towards foreign teams over the last decade specifically the 05/06 South African tour and the 04 Indian Tour, but mark my words from past experiences nothing will compare to the abuse Monty Panesar receives this summer.

We already have stories of abuse (with racial overtones) coming out of a tour game watched by a handful of spectators, what do you think is going to happen throughout the Ashes when all venues will be filled to the brim?

This is not going to be the first time that Monty will be in the news and the racist streak of a handful of Australian cricket supporters will be rearing its ugly and all too prevalent head throughout the summer

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've been on the sideline when when the drunks were giving to Ashley Giles just for being a pomm, and the pomms give it to us for being convicts.

How is this any different, or is it only applicable to people with different coloured skin. I thought the issue was race, not colour.

Maybe some people should just live their life indoors if they are offended by what happens outside.

JJ

Immortal
Twizzle said:
How is this any different, or is it only applicable to people with different coloured skin. I thought the issue was race, not colour.

Racism generally involves some belief (false) of biological inferiority. The simpletons involved infer that on the basis of skin colour and other obvious differences between 'races'. White Australians and English are the same race - does this really need to be outlined to you?????????

if someone is labelled a black merkin, that is racist IMO. Equally if someone is labelled a white merkin - that is racist too. It's all about skin colour

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you really don't have a clue, do you ?

once again, your arrogance shows through,

your opinion is not fact,

source it, or have it deleted,

your choice

azza

Juniors
Twizzle said:
he is Indian,

how is that racist

Pietersen is also South African and I'm Australian

as far as him being called an idiot, there will always be the ravings of drunk lunatics at evey cricket game in every country

I'm not condoning what was said, but if this bothers him, no wonder he needed a shrink

He may have Indian heritage but he has grown up in England, has come through their cricket system, speaks with an English accent and has English citizenship. To me, that makes him as much English as anything. Nationality is not defined by ethnicity.

F**king pathetic yobbos should be made an example of before they embarrass Australia in the much bigger matches to come.

Panjabi

Juniors
azza said:
He may have Indian heritage but he has grown up in England, has come through their cricket system, speaks with an English accent and has English citizenship. To me, that makes him as much English as anything. Nationality is not defined by ethnicity.

F**king pathetic yobbos should be made an example of before they embarrass Australia in the much bigger matches to come.

He was born in Bedfordshire, that's as English as you can get.

This summer is going to be rife with racial abuse centered around Monty and to a lesser extent Sajid Mahmood and Cricket Australia has to nip the problem in the bud before it becomes an ongoing side act throughout the Ashes.

NPK

Bench
The media "Graeme Smith" said this would happen..maybe that was actually the trigger for some of the abuse.

[furrycat]

Coach
Oh FFS :roll:

And nothing mentioned when Australians cop it black and blue over in South Africa and India?

Nah; we're the only bad guys in world cricket these days

Get rid of alcohol at the game then or put more cops around... Love it how some of you take pleasure in reading this sh*t.

JJ

Immortal
Twizzle said:
you really don't have a clue, do you ?

once again, your arrogance shows through,

your opinion is not fact,

source it, or have it deleted,

your choice
Racism is commonly defined as a belief or doctrine where inherent biological differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, with a corollary that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

It seems my opinions threatens you twizzle - I apologise.

JJ

Immortal
wow - furrycat going all high-brow on me... pfffftt

You want me to attach .pdfs of scholarly writing and published academic writings? Get a life

JJ

Immortal
does wikipedia not suffice for your school work furry?

Anyway, like I said this thread goes nowhere... bad behaviour - Australia should address it, just as NZ should address it when it happens here, India should address it when it happens there and so on....

[furrycat]

Coach
JJ said:
does wikipedia not suffice for your school work furry?

Anyway, like I said this thread goes nowhere... bad behaviour - Australia should address it, just as NZ should address it when it happens here, India should address it when it happens there and so on....

Actually, my university does not accept it as a source because the fact is, any idiot can change it.

:)

JJ

Immortal
[furrycat] said:
Actually, my university does not accept it as a source because the fact is, any idiot can change it.

:)

ahh, well thankfully your university has higher standards than leagueunlimited.

it's great that universities have a focus on providing opportunities in tertiary education for those that traditionally wouldn't have found universities accessible... I can sense the pride you have in typing "my university" - it's very nice :D you puff out your chest and tell the world - :lol: