What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pangai Junior chooses Tonga

Pommy

Coach
Technically if they haven't played for the Kangaroos, they could probably ''commit'' to Australia to get the Origin jersey and flip at the end of the season to Tonga.

I’m sure this is how it could work Australia have no way to enforce it otherwise, well other than black listing you for further origin/kangaroo call ups.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’m sure this is how it could work Australia have no way to enforce it otherwise, well other than black listing you for further origin/kangaroo call ups.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. It is a little sneaky of the player but it is possible. I don't think the ARLC could do much about it under the current RLIF rules other than, like you said ban them from being selected for Origin in the future.

hutch

First Grade
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. It is a little sneaky of the player but it is possible. I don't think the ARLC could do much about it under the current RLIF rules other than, like you said ban them from being selected for Origin in the future.

Australia have no way of enforcing this rule. If NSW wanted to pick Fifita for game 1 and 3’they could certainly do it. Milford played for qld and Samoa last year. They could quite easily play origin and then for Tonga at the end of every year. I’m sure it will happen at some stage soon.

Matua

Bench
Does it still happen though? I know it has in the past but I was under the impression they couldn’t anymore.
Nope, it's been banned for at least 20 years now, although there was a sort of amnesty with 7s inclusion in the Olympics. Players could move from a top nation down if they played qualifying tournaments for the Olympic 7s. A few players did it but not many.

Can't say I'm happy about PIs playing Origin when Kiwis who theoretically could can't - I reckon Ponga would have played for Kiwis and Queensland if he could have.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Nope, it's been banned for at least 20 years now, although there was a sort of amnesty with 7s inclusion in the Olympics. Players could move from a top nation down if they played qualifying tournaments for the Olympic 7s. A few players did it but not many.

Can't say I'm happy about PIs playing Origin when Kiwis who theoretically could can't - I reckon Ponga would have played for Kiwis and Queensland if he could have.
Totally agree about ponga. How many other kiwis have chosen Queensland and NSW over a NZ test jersey?

deluded pom?

Coach
I don’t think the player would be banned as such but just not selected for some spurious reason.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Mason was born in nz to an Aussie father and Tongan mother. He moved to Aus very young and has said numerous times he feels no connection to NZ and is Australian/Tongan.

I agree with all of that but he still had a choice and chose NSW / Australia over NZ

Latest posts