What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers $1 million war chest

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21463395-5006066,00.html

Panthers $1m war chest

By James Phelps
March 29, 2007 12:00

Article from: </IMG>
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

PENRITH coach Matt Elliott yesterday declared the Panthers would become the biggest hunters in the NRL open market with a $1 million war chest at their disposal.
In an audacious bid, Elliott yesterday said the cashed-up club was intent on signing two of the biggest off-contract stars in the NRL.
After narrowly missing out on signing Parramatta star Timana Tahu, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Panthers have Brent Tate, Justin Hodges, Craig Wing, Mark O'Meley, Ben Hornby, Bronson Harrison, Luke O'Donnell and Jason Ryles on an ambitious hitlist.
"We are going to go and recruit the two best players we can find," said Elliott.
"We have enough flexibility that it could be in any position. We just want the best players.
"We are going to go out on to the market and find the best two players we can."
It is understood the Panthers are already deep in discussions with a number of current internationals.
Elliott yesterday confirmed he had met with player managers and made his intent clear.
"Mick Leary (Penrith CEO) and myself have gone and visited every player manager and found out who is available," said Elliott.
"We are very ambitious with our recruitment and although I think we have a squad that is capable of achieving a lot this year we could add a lot with a couple of marquee players."
The Panthers will have over $1.5 million free under the salary cap for 2008 with Luke Rooney and Joel Clinton coming off contract.
"We are already under the salary cap this year," Elliott said.
"We put some money together to recruit Jamie Lyon but we didn't get him.
"After that we didn't go out and get anyone else because I am a strong believer that you don't recruit players unless they are going to make your club better."
Elliott said the recruitment drive wouldn't stop with two marquee players, with the club also set to plunder the NRL's emerging talent.
"We may pick up another couple of guys as well," he said.
"But we are going to look for the best player and then go and get the second best player."
Elliott said players would be lured to Penrith to play with the likes of Craig Gower.
"If I was an ambitious player and I had the opportunity to come and play with Craig Gower, Joel Clinton, Luke Priddis, Trent Waterhouse and Tony Puletua I would jump at it."
Respected player manager Steve Gillis yesterday said the Panthers would be the big movers in this year's player market.
"They still have some money under the cap this year," he said.
"They are looking for the two best players and I think they will start at the top of their list and work down."

ABOUT BLOODY TIME PENRITH!

Last time they went on a big spending spree was back at the end of the 2001 season with the purchase of Martin Lang, Ben Roarty, Luke Priddis & Brett Howland.

JJ

Immortal
The Mighty Panther said:
ABOUT BLOODY TIME PENRITH!

Last time they went on a big spending spree was back at the end of the 2001 season with the purchase of Martin Lang, Ben Roarty, Luke Priddis & Brett Howland.

and that worked out really well for them - just shows that so-called 'marque' players are not necessarily what's needed

mxlegend99

Referee
This is excellent news.

We have a solid team atm. With lots of juniors coming through that are very talented. Buying a prop and centre would make our team extremely solid. Give us a lot of depth in positions we are slim in atm.

Red Bear

Referee
JJ said:
and that worked out really well for them - just shows that so-called 'marque' players are not necessarily what's needed
Well Priddis n Lang went pretty well

mxlegend99

Referee
Where would we put him?

5/8 - Wallace/Firman
HB - Gower/Trindall
Hooker - Priddis/Aiton

We don't have room for him. He would have been ok for 5/8 this year, but Wallace and Firman have it covered now.

Stranger

Coach
GoTheBears said:
Well Priddis n Lang went pretty well
Priddis wasn't setting the world on fire in 2001, and lang never set the world on fire.

Hardly a spending spree signing those 4 including roarty and howland. Wouldn't have been too expensive.

Stranger said:
Priddis wasn't setting the world on fire in 2001, and lang never set the world on fire.

Hardly a spending spree signing those 4 including roarty and howland. Wouldn't have been too expensive.

Perhaps. But at least it was a shopping spree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time Penrith bought superstars was way back in 1988 when we bought Peter Kelly and Chris Mortimer from the Bulldogs.

Hang on, we did buy Mark McGaw in 1993 :fist:

BJW#84

Juniors
Luke 'Donnell would be alright but I reckon we should throw some money at Jarrod Mullen from Newcastle. We need a five-eighth and he is young, talented and has a good attitude.

Dutchy

Immortal
BJW#84 said:
Luke 'Donnell would be alright but I reckon we should throw some money at Jarrod Mullen from Newcastle. We need a five-eighth and he is young, talented and has a good attitude.

Mullo is a mummas boy and always will be..he will stay at Knights

ST Phillips High Newcastle FTW!!!!

his 18th went off the richter :)

BJW#84

Juniors
scottyj said:
Mullo is a mummas boy and always will be..he will stay at Knights

ST Phillips High Newcastle FTW!!!!

his 18th went off the richter :)
I knew it would be a long shot but money talks and is a very persuasive way of getting a players attention. It would be worth a shot, he is going to be a top class player..

I can already see it in the future:

Kangaroos
4. Greg Inglis
5. Israel Falau
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Jonathon Thurston

The mighty Kangaroos are going to dominate again soon.