What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers resign Burns and Kingston

betcats

Referee
Penrith have extended both Travis Burns and Kevin Kingstons deals till the end of 2013.

Good news

abpanther

Staff member
Will Burns even be in your starting team this year when Graham comes back?

He will initially until Wade shakes the rust off, then I anticipate he will start off the bench as a backup hooker/five-eighth.

To be honest most of us see Graham's future as a ball playing lock so I anticipate once Petero leaves, Waterhouse moves into the front row, Lewis slide into the backrow, Graham moves into lock and Burns starts at 5/8.

JMO

Kilkenny

Coach
On the resigning of Travis Burns I make the point;

Jarrod Sammut has played his entire career in the Penrith Junior competition, represents with distinction at junior level in Matthews, Ball, NYC and graduates to first grade where he makes 38 appearances for our club.

No sooner is he deemed surplus to requirements and released from the club we resign Travis Burns on a extended deal after he has played two NRL games for our club before sustaining injury ruling him out for some weeks.

I seriously question the rationale behind such decisions, particularly, when it involves homegrown talent who are passionate about playing for there home town club.

Travis Burns can play in one position and one position only. Jarrod Sammut can play in a number of positions in the back line and while not necessarily given an opportunity in the position was surely capable of being a back up number 9 at a very high level.

I could go on, but I won't because there is absolutely no point in doing so.

I have nothing against Travis Burns, he is a reasonable footballer, no world beater but solid and determined.

I have my own personal opinion about who would likely provide better value when comparing Sammut and Burns but my opinion means absolutely nothing.

The only opinion that appears to matter would be Mick Leary and I guess Matthew Elliot.

Another astonishing chapter in recruitment/retention strategies of the Penrith Panthers.

abpanther

Staff member
Burns can play more than one position, he can fill in the halves or hooker.

Kilkenny

Coach
Burns can play more than one position, he can fill in the halves or hooker.

Alright ABPanther Travis Burns is capable of playing in the number 7 and number 9.

Be honest with yourself and grade Travis Burns in those positions against he incumbents in all other NRL sides. Where would he rate.

How many other NRL clubs would attempt to recruit Travis Burns into there club to fulfill the critical number 7 or number 9 roles?

Yes he is capable of playing in the positions, but is it really a preferred option or one of desperation.

Travis Burns is a 5/8th and a decent one. He is not a playmaker nor is he a dummy half.

abpanther

Staff member
Be honest with yourself and grade Travis Burns in those positions against he incumbents in all other NRL sides. Where would he rate.

Not that great, but better than Sammut

How many other NRL clubs would attempt to recruit Travis Burns into there club to fulfill the critical number 7 or number 9 roles?

About as many those that would attempt to recruit Sammut obviously...

Panthers_God

Juniors
This is great news.

Burns was outstanding in the trials. I think he was geared for a top year before this injury. Hope he comes back well. And so far Kingston has been very impressive. He provides some well need consistency on the team.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dutchy, I wouldn't even mind seeing him move there once Graham is fit. Ideally we would drop Walsh and use Burns/Graham as the halves. But if it has to be Walsh at halfback, I would like to see Burns at centre and Adrian Purtell joining Shane Elford at Windsor.

Indelible

Juniors
Woeful decision. What is going on at head office??? Matt Elliot has to go. We are kidding ourselves if we think we're premiership contender's.

Latest posts