Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Timmah, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Exsilium

Exsilium Bench

So after everything we’ve sacked a coach, dragged the club through the media mud and pissed off the rest of the NRL.

Gould is a genius.

That’s me done for the year. Ive got other dumb f**kery to fill my calendar with

Crazyperpman, OzDragon and Pedge1971 like this.
  2. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

I agree, Gus takes things too far in the media. He thinks he's the best PR guy ever which makes things worse than they'd otherwise be.

3. unforgiven

unforgiven Juniors

Penrith were caught with their hand in the cookie jar and their excuse is, "I was only looking for which one I'd eat later" I wouldn't believe my 5 year old daughter if she said that.

Perth Tiger likes this.
  4. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 First Grade

No one comes out of this looking real good tbh. PR disaster for all concerned.

OzDragon and OldPanther like this.
  5. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

When were they caught? We've been told from the start exactly what Ivan said in his press conference.

A few media outlets said a contract had been offered but there clearly wasn't.

From Tigers fans on r/nrl regarding this which are pretty accurate in my opinion:

"I think me and a lot of other fans got carried away about this, but I'm not sure it's exactly our faults. We didn't start this whole media circus which was perpetrated to get exactly the reaction it got. I just wish Ivan had come out and talked to the media earlier to sort the whole thing out"

"Hooper started this circus as a Tigers fan you wouldn't be surprised. But he hasn't named a source in his life and always is forgotten about when it all turns to be bullshit. Most of the anger should be at him."

6. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

100%

7. Das Hassler

Das Hassler Juniors

Hmm....tigers management pretty much did to be fair. ....and balanced

To add.....Gus has massively damaged his media stock. ...Ivan's had a jarring close call and has come out of it with a few scratches that can be buffed out.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  8. unforgiven

unforgiven Juniors

They approach Ivan about coaching Panthers, Ivan confirmed that, he even stated he didn't know the meeting was about coaching. Hand in the cookie jar!

9. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

Tigers were good standing their ground, the fans deserve a club out for its own interests but the part about bullying was weird.

10. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

Yeah they gauged his interest in coming back at some point. I never disputed that. Everyone including Tigers fans think he is interested once his Tigers contract is up.

11. unforgiven

unforgiven Juniors

As i said caught with their hand in the cookie jar and their excuse is I was looking at the cookie I'm going to eat in 2 years. That's garbage, this blew up in their face and they have been playing catch up all week trying to not look like the lying, grubby club that they have proven to be.

12. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

So the question now becomes who IS going to be the Panthers next coach?

13. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

Everyone just trying to cover their own arse in this. If Penrith had been able to make this happen without blood being spilt, Ivan would have been all for it.

14. ed-grimley

ed-grimley Bench

Even Cleary appeared to have given Penrith's approach consideration.
    He has now committed to the Tigers for the time being which is a bit of a plus for him.

15. unforgiven

unforgiven Juniors

Agreed, that doesn't absolve the Panthers of the mess they caused, no matter how much oldpanther tries to convince people they didn't. They are as grubby as the storm, roosters etc.

MilkShark likes this.
  16. roofromoz

roofromoz Bench

I think Ciraldo has the next 4 or so weeks to prove his case for 2019.

If not... I dunno.

17. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

A lesson in humility for the Great Gus, who of course learnt the trade at the Roosters. Trouble is, now the club has to try to win the premiership with a rookie coach.

18. big hit!

big hit! Juniors

If Ivan left the Tigers, his statements would be hollow, authority compromised, & basically any chance of a successful coaching career was over.

he publicly asked players at the Tigers to buy into him and the club. leaving would've made him am absolute fraud

19. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Coach

Panthers motives here are clear. Ivan coming in 2021 secures Nathan Cleary now and beyond then. Ivans a good coach, but Nathan is the real reason they approached him about a possible return. He can easily get a clause for release if we dont get Ivan.

A 2 year seat warming position sounds like a shit job. But its perfect for Wayne Bennett. The premiership window isnt closed with him and he wouldn't want anything longterm.

If Tigers sacked Cleary before 2 years is up. Ivan can work with Wayne and get to coach Nathan that way.

OldPanther likes this.
  20. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

I never said we didn't cause a mess. Whether directly or indirectly the club's actions and the following media circus caused all of this.

I just think we aren't the super evil club everyone seems to think. If Ivan had said we wanted him to break his contract I would've been very angry at the club.

Buzzard Breath likes this.