What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Parra

snickers007

Juniors
I like that analysis snickers, but Souths got plenty of set restarts on Saturday. I don't have the stats in front of me, were set restarts down in all games over the weekend? It didn't seem like it in the footy that I watched.

If the set restarts are just drying up for us and no one else, then it's likely due to our pack not earning them through dominance in the ruck.

Average set restarts for the whole season is 7.4 per match.
The last 4 rounds, plus week 1 of the finals were 7.4, 5.8, 6.3, 5.5 and 5.25

For context, 5.8 was the equal lowest average since Rnd 4 2020 (second week of set restarts) - and that didn't include inside 10m as a set restart. And then we've gone and smashed that 2 weeks in a row.

Definitely trending downward across the board.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Hopefully we can bounce back. While Edwards isn't perfect one thing that's underrated about his game is his support play, I'm sure he would've been there when Yeo made that break. Also having him back means Staines is out of the team so it's addition by subtraction!!
Isnt this a coaching thing ? Should be embedded into a FB role

TheRiff

Juniors
Food for thought regarding the whole 'big game choke' conversation:

Since the introduction of the 6 again for ruck infringements/10meters, we've received on average 3.9 set restarts across 42 regular season games.
In our past 4 matches, we've received 6 set restarts total (1.5 per match on average).

Across the same time 42 regular season games, we've received on average 5.3 penalties.
Our past 4 matches we've received 27 penalties (6.75 per match on average).

Our team relies on our fitness and discipline to wear down the opposition. We prioritise line speed in defence over slowing down the ruck with wrestling, because we're consciously trying to avoid set restarts. And we rely on other teams playing the same way (or the ref doing their job if they can't keep up), to build pressure, dominate field position, and strangle our opposition out of the game.

Towards the end of the season, and in semi-finals, referees tend to 'put the whistle away'. With the introduction of the set restart instead of a penalty, this means less set restarts. The smart teams know this, and exploit it by slowing down the ruck, standing offside, and taking their chances with the ref. Especially early in the tackle count after a deep kick, and when defending their goal-line.

We saw consistently during the 2010's, that conceding penalties does not correlate to winning or losing - in fact the opposite - the Roosters and Storm were consistently winning comps during that period, and were always top of the list in penalties conceded too. They knew that giving away a penalty was worth it to get a breather, and slow things down. The same principal applies now when the set restarts dry up.

While it's the fault of the referees that we have different standards and interpretations for finals matches, we shouldn't be blaming them for our losses. Because we can't control them.

The end result though, is that we're waiting for opportunities to come to us via repeat sets, fatigue, weight of possession etc, that isn't ever going to occur. And we don't have a plan B.

Not sure if that constitutes a choke, or just outlines the hilarity that we pretty much play touch footy for the first 20 weeks of the comp, and then revert to Wrestlemania for the rest. I suppose Melbourne and Souths can do both, so why can't we?

I would love to say this year is a one off, Ivan's record is 7-7 in Finals games.

The older guys were here under Hook when we would win week 1, Lose week 2. Even in 2014 which Yeo was here for was 1 win 1 lose.

We lack the ruthless side, Other teams have and it shows in Finals games. The top teams go up a gear, We go backwards if anything

TheRiff

Juniors
Isnt this a coaching thing ? Should be embedded into a FB role

I will admit I am old but as long as I can remember, FB and the Halfback follow the play and support well. Crichton or Staines ( Depends who was in there at the time ) Should of followed it.

BxTom

Bench
I think we ask him and Yeo to do 80 and get other guys in the pack to lift their work rate especially so they aren't carrying the pack.

Fish needs to bounce back. Leota comes in and does a lot more than Eisenhuth did.

I think we try getting 80 out of these guys as we need them on for our attack to be at its best. Yeo linking and causing guys to second guess defensively in the middle. Kikau creating space on the left for Burton and To'o.
I wonder if Fish is managing an injury - the break to regain fitness after a few weeks off seemed strange, you don't lose that much condition over a few weeks.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the Dylan Edwards foot injury is the on going issues around his plantar fascia tear from earlier in the season. I assume it requires surgery at the end of the season to repair and they simply have been managing it as best they can to keep him available as much as possible.

It was suggested initially the best case scenario with the Scott Sorensen dislocated wrist (non surgery) was 3-6 weeks so he is definitely returning early based on the initial prognosis. Again I assume it may be an injury where they will operate post season to properly repair.

Neither can be 100% fully fit given the nature of the injuries, but I guess there is little to lose now given it is sudden death from here on in.

WestyLife

First Grade
Surprised about Sorensen but it's epic news. Can they at least switch Momo and Crichton except for kick receptions on the 5th?