What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Parra

mxlegend99

Referee
South’s are a good team but they are a team who (IMO) are a rung or two below us. While it’s not a disgrace to lose to them given how they played, I think there is a bit of choke in there from us.

We lose tonight and that’s full choke mode activated. Not so much because Parra are a bad side, cos I don’t think they are, more because of our dominance over this season and last.
Losing to Eels is the only loss we could have to be considered a choke IMO. Or if we were on the other side of the draw Roosters.

The top 4 this year form wise have all been great for most the year. Storm clearly out in front on their own, but Souths and Sea Eagles had some incredible highs aswell while we did too, ours were months ago before Origin. If we had maintained that form we shouldnt fear any team. But we just never bounced back from Origin disrupting our season. Still beat the crap sides obviously but like last year our form going into the finals was just scraping in wins without ever looking like we were firing.

Although even without Origin. Not sure we were ever going to be able to maintain being up and ready every single week. Most successful teams try to time their runs for toward the back end of the season. It's not often a team comes out firing in round 1 and just does so all the way through to a grand final win. Origin was actually good for us to break our season down, give us a slump in the middle which we could bounce back from and come home strong. Ivan however decided in that middle slump we needed to tinker with the side and that has stopped us from getting back to what worked.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
That’s so not true Westy.

There fans across the globe, who support teams who are never going to win the NRL, NFL, EPL or whatever competition you follow.

Going by your assessment, using the English Premier League as an example, every footballer follower in the UK can only support the big four. Born and bred in Burnley, no point following them they can’t win the league.

Was my support of our club over the past 50 years a pointless exercise?

Just by coincidence the last two times I have visited the UK I have seen Crystal Palace twice, 2014 St James Park against Newcastle United and in 2016 against Watford. Crystal Palace each and every season are in a dog fight for Premier League survival, no chance of winning there fans support there team just hoping to finish 17th or better. Try telling them there is no point to even take part. Good luck with that one.

Being a fan really is about the tribalism, supporting your team no matter what. First or last, you are a fan regardless.
Wow you born in Burnley. I am a huge Blackburn Fan for 28 years. Tide has turned now for Burnley being the better side now

BossleyPanther

Juniors
I don't believe that Origin is the reason for our form slump, it may have been couple months ago, I think it is mainly being in QLD and that was around Origin time too. So for me that is the main factor.b

The Realist

Juniors
Has anyone else considered that the form slump maybe in part due to this season actually being full length?

I think we benefited from the shorted season that also had a 'mid season pause/break' in 2020. We were able to maintain our high energy type of play. This season has been a comparative long grind. Perhaps our hard core pre-season training camp is coming back to bite us in the ass?

WestyLife

First Grade
Has anyone else considered that the form slump maybe in part due to this season actually being full length?

I think we benefited from the shorted season that also had a 'mid season pause/break' in 2020. We were able to maintain our high energy type of play. This season has been a comparative long grind. Perhaps our hard core pre-season training camp is coming back to bite us in the ass?

Throw in origin on top. They just would've needed to manage workloads the last month better.

Girds89

Bench
Im nervous as hell. But i think we win today. Trying to be confident.

Things id like to see;

Our forwards step up. They got significantly beat by a weaker pack last weak. The parra pack is much stronger. Our pack needs to be better.

Need api to have a blinder. Like Luai he has been quiet since origin.

Luai needs to run the ball every half oppurtunity he sees. Especially early on. It will keep parra in two minds.

Cleary needs to own the kicking. If we kick early for a mid field bomb ill lose my shit. Only kick early for possible 40/20 or to gain good field position.

Naden needs to be mistake free and not miss any tackles. We all know he will be a target.

Critta needs to get through as much work as he did last week, no excuses. I want to see him taking 1 or 2 hit ups out of our own end. If he has the fitness to play the 80 like he did last week at fb that shouldnt be an issue and still have plenty in reserve for attack.

No mistakes or very limited from our boys. And that includes poor decision making by the halfs. Putting a mid field bomb early in the count is dumb.

I said it the other week and havent changed my mind. Id start kenny, let him play the first 15mins when its an arm wrestle. Let him gas himself and make 25 tackles on parras big boys. When both teams start to slow down a little bring on api and kikau. I dont even see it as a defensive decision..just a smart move to allow api to remain fresh whilst kenny absorbs the opening bashathon.

Martin needs to fire up. Pre origin he had fire coming out of him every time he touched it because he was so determined to get a blue jersey. I want to see that from him today. Even if he can only do it in 2 20min spells. Id rather 40 mins of pure aggression than 60 mins with fatigue and misseed tackles mixed in their.

Lastly, nath and romey cant be pushing plays or passes when close to their line in attack..if its not on just roll it in for a drop out. Keep up the pressure. It worked all year. Get back to that.

If we can complete above 85% and keep our penalties down we should win. But anything can happen in finals footy.

Going to be a long day waiting for kick off.

Cmon Panthers

BxTom

Bench

I think the form slump is about Api's off field activities. All the players and their wives and girlfriends are living in each other's pockets and I'm sure that many of the players and their partners would be feeling sorry for Api's wife.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I think the form slump is about Api's off field activities. All the players and their wives and girlfriends are living in each other's pockets and I'm sure that many of the players and their partners would be feeling sorry for Api's wife.
They are pissweak if so

The_Frog

First Grade
I'm sorry to be all negative and point this out but if we lose this game it means we'd become the first team ever to win 20+ games in a season and exit in Week 2 of the finals. Even the Dragons of 2009, while they were minor premiers and bundled out in straight sets, still only had 17 wins that year.

Parramatta are still on a 35 year premiership drought but if they lose the reaction is more like a shrug of the shoulders with all due respect. So the pressure is squarely on us to win no two ways about it. Thankfully we look to have a full strength lineup.
Also the 7th time we've lost week 2 elimination games, for 0 wins.

The_Frog

First Grade
We didn’t choke at all. We got beaten, there is a difference.
Could have gone either way that one. Poor conversion of opportunities cost us, nothing else. I don't go along with the narrative that Souths smashed us in the forwards either. They had slightly the better of it but not by much.

Crashtest

Juniors
I can't wait to see what selection master strokes Ivan has, I know no one liked Hook but we are no closer to the premiership with Ivan then under hook. Just have the better roster to beat up on an average comp

Griffin couldn’t beat top 4 sides, so was never going to win anything. The difference is that Ivan has consistently done that. Over the last 2 seasons, Ivan has won 11 out of 14 games against Bennett, Robinson, and Bellamy.

How can you not see the difference, or see just how far the Team has come over just 2 seasons?

Crashtest

Juniors
We choked. Going away from everything that got us to September is a choke, we played a whole different game
Have you watched the game again, and through impartial eyes? We didn’t choke, and didn’t go away from everything that we have been doing.

The difference was that Souths forwards aimed up and smashed ours and stopped our go forward through the middle. We kept trying to play our usual style, but without our forwards dominating the middle like they have done through most of the season, Nathan and Jerome had no space to work with.

TheRiff

Juniors
Griffin couldn’t beat top 4 sides, so was never going to win anything. The difference is that Ivan has consistently done that. Over the last 2 seasons, Ivan has won 11 out of 14 games against Bennett, Robinson, and Bellamy.

How can you not see the difference, or see just how far the Team has come over just 2 seasons?

The comp is very weak, So much so that Souths who finished 3rd would of been minor Premiers in any other season.

For all the 'beating of Top 4 sides Ivan does he is 8 wins and 8 losses in Finals series, This includes a Warriors side that finished 3rd in 2007 going out in straight sets. So history doesn't look good for Ivan.

I asked a couple here, Where does this squad rank over Panthers history for you? A stacked roster gets the job done 80% of the time, In Finals tactics, Team selection is needed and where Ivan is found wanting

Crashtest

Juniors
Gus didn't create a $25m Academy to just make the finals, trophies are the aim
Go back and look what Gus said about his vision for the Panthers. He said it was to build a strong club that was in the top 4 every year and always challenging for a premiership, rather than being a club that could win a premiership and then miss the finals for 4 of the next 5 years.

Crashtest

Juniors
To drop off in form in the biggest game of the year, Is the very meaning of choking in Sport
Let’s review that for a second. We lost by 6 points, by 2 tries to 1, it was team 2 playing team 3, a team that had only 1 less win than us and the Storm. A game where Souths have been praised for how well they played, yet it was 1 try the difference and where we were a bad pass or two from winning game.

Yep see what you mean, what a massive choke. Let’s tar and feather our coach, the support staff, the Board .......

martielang

Bench
Let’s review that for a second. We lost by 6 points, by 2 tries to 1, it was team 2 playing team 3, a team that had only 1 less win than us and the Storm. A game where Souths have been praised for how well they played, yet it was 1 try the difference and where we were a bad pass or two from winning game.

Yep see what you mean, what a massive choke. Let’s tar and feather our coach, the support staff, the Board .......

That’s kind of the point though. South’s only winning by 6 when they played really well and we were nowhere our best is proof enough that we’re clearly a superior side. If we’d played at 75% of what we’re capable of, we win that game comfortably. To play at the level we did in our most important game of the year to date, there has to be an element of choke there.

No reason we can’t bounce back, but we were a poor imitation of ourselves last week regardless of whether you want to call it a choke or not.

Crashtest

Juniors
Then puts Naden in over Staines. We are such a rudderless ship. What is the plan Ivan
If you look at what the plan has been all year though, Ivan has selected Naden on the right wing when To’o is out injured. It’s replacing a hard running metre eating winger with another winger capable of making tough runs and making metres out of our own end. It’s also keeping Naden away from the very strong left side attack of the better teams.

Why has he swapped Naden and Staines in and out over the last couple of weeks? Last week he used Crichton to cover Edwards injury so chose Staines the better defender (prior to his bad miss on Gagai) and who has been used as the right winger to replace Crichton on the right wing. This week, To’o was obviously the one in doubt, but Edwards wasn’t, so he left out his right wing cover in Staines and chosen Naden who has been the left side replacement winger to come into the team.

Just because you don’t agree with the selections, doesn’t mean the coaching staff don’t have a plan in place and are making random selections on the the fly.