What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papalii turns his back on Kiwis

Noa

First Grade
To be fair to cuz he may have just been to a stan walker concert or just finished a feed of kina & Paua ( washed down with l&p of course) when he made the 100% kiwi comment.

Been here from a young age so entitled to choose either way.

user_nat

Coach
I don't have an issue with someone who has been here since they were 6 playing for us. Not sure where you draw the line though.

His flip flopping between the Aus and NZ is annoying.

Last edited:
Of course he is, but there should be no confusion then. If you are 100% Aussie you
Shouldnt be signing letters of intent for the Kiwis and telling newspapers that you
Told meninga to shove origin up his backside.

Big Pete

Referee
The biggest joke here is how both the QRL and NZRL have been fighting over him.

He should have made his decision when he was 16 and that should have been the end of it.

andrew057

First Grade
Got a link to that andrew?

Most certainly.

Kiwi now a proud Queenslander

4 Jun 09 @ 03:29pm by Rhys O'Neill

775974995c45214cdce745fc8836c190_resized.JPG

Next big thing ... schoolboy Joshua Papalii.

IN a boost to the Maroons’ hopes of continuing Origin domination, Woodridge State High School rugby league star Joshua Papalii has pledged his allegiance to Queensland.

The New Zealand-born 17-year-old is part of the state’s Open Schoolboys team, set to embark on the national titles in July.

His efforts for Met-East in the regional trials saw the Canberra Raiders lead the pack for his signature.

The Year 12 student, labelled ``one of the most talented kids I have seen’’ by coach and former NRL hardman Mark Tookey, will be cheering for the Maroons this year.

Former Queensland enforcer Tonie Carroll and current star Karmichael Hunt were both born in NZ but elected to represent their adopted state.

‘‘I was born in NZ, (but) I’m 100 percent Queensland,’’ Papalii said.

Despite playing in the centres at school level, a big showing in the back row for Met-East saw him earn the state call-up.

‘‘I was a bit shocked,’’ Papalii said. ‘‘I just want to play good footy.’‘

In a state side usually dominated by northsiders, Papalii’s inclusion is a rarity.

http://albert-and-logan.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/kiwi-now-a-proud-queenslander/

jamesgould

Juniors
I'd be surprised to see a player get selected for the Queensland schoolboys side and then come out and say he was 100% a New Zealander.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Alex Glenn, Simon Mannering, Frank Pritchard, Jeremy Smith, Sika Manu, Adam Blair ahead of him. Jason Taumalolo & Kevin Proctor coming through too. Not too worried about him. I'm more concerned about gettin Kasiano.

Last edited:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...maroons-or-kiwis/story-e6frexnr-1226479831282

Critically, the Canberra wrecking ball admitted the fiscal reward on offer in the Origin arena, which could increase to $50,000 per game next season, is attractive.

"Anyone who says it's not about money is lying because it's a professional game these days," Papalii said.
All that needs to be said about the situation is covered off in the quote above.

I don't care if the kid wants to play for NZ, QLD or bloody NSW. But if he picks NZ it should be because he sees himself as a kiwi, and if he picks QLD it should be because he sees himself as an Australian. Not because he sees himself as a Kiwi living in QLD who could do with an investment property in Coogee Bay.

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...maroons-or-kiwis/story-e6frexnr-1226479831282

All that needs to be said about the situation is covered off in the quote above.

I don't care if the kid wants to play for NZ, QLD or bloody NSW. But if he picks NZ it should be because he sees himself as a kiwi, and if he picks QLD it should be because he sees himself as an Australian. Not because he sees himself as a Kiwi living in QLD who could do with an investment property in Coogee Bay.

Very true, Reecey.

Why does this decision cheapen ( or lessen the appeal of) the Kiwi jersey ?
Why cant a NZ player play both ?
f**k Origin, why does some piss arsed state comp take precedent over the pinnacle of any sport, repping your country of birth ?

By buying these overseas born, ineligible players, the ARL is erroding the integrity of the SOO comp. Pretty soon both teams will consist mainly of "bought" in players.

Enjoy it while you can Aussies...

Hutty1986

Immortal
Very true, Reecey.

Why does this decision cheapen ( or lessen the appeal of) the Kiwi jersey ?
Why cant a NZ player play both ?
f**k Origin, why does some piss arsed state comp take precedent over the pinnacle of any sport, repping your country of birth ?

By buying these overseas born, ineligible players, the ARL is erroding the integrity of the SOO comp. Pretty soon both teams will consist mainly of "bought" in players.

Enjoy it while you can Aussies...

Piss arsed state comp? You mean the pinnacle of RL?

skeepe

Immortal
Two way street. The Kiwis tried to claim Anthony Milford, a guy born in Brisbane with Samoan parents.

Two way street. The Kiwis tried to claim Anthony Milford, a guy born in Brisbane with Samoan parents.

''I'm a bit of both [New Zealander and Queenslander]. I don't know, I haven't really made up my mind yet.''
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-slip-through-its-fingers-20120913-25v9c.html

Just for the record, his father is a new zealander and is mother moved to nz from samoa from a young age (before they moved to australia before Anthony was born). But I don't consider Anthony a kiwi, especially if he doesn't consider himself one.