What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra A grade teams?

What will Cabra end up doing I wonder? Wests comp would seem the closest option.

I am told as of last night there is still no way the three bundy teams in parra (cabra, mounties and wenty) can field an A Grade team.

With only a few weeks until the start of the competition you have to wonder what the hell is going on.

If they cant field a team whatwill happen to the comp and those clubs.

Parra must be the most inept comp in the world when it comes to senior football.

The Major

Bench
I am told as of last night there is still no way the three bundy teams in parra (cabra, mounties and wenty) can field an A Grade team.

With only a few weeks until the start of the competition you have to wonder what the hell is going on.

If they cant field a team whatwill happen to the comp and those clubs.

Parra must be the most inept comp in the world when it comes to senior football.

Can't field an A-Grade side where? In the parra comp or in any comp around sydney? I'm sure each club has enough players to put an A's and A2's sides on the field.

Can't field an A-Grade side where? In the parra comp or in any comp around sydney? I'm sure each club has enough players to put an A's and A2's sides on the field.

Apparantly cant field a team in the parra comp because of a points system.
Didn't know they has one but from what I hear the three clubs will not be able to field a team in A Grade so it looks like the senior grades in Parra comp will be reduced to fat spaso's.

Good on the management of Parra, job well done.:x

CoachMan

Juniors
Ha - the points system

Wests have just pushed for that this year, informing all the clubs 10 days out from the start of competition that it would be in place. I know it has thrown alot of clubs out on their arse.

I understand that these administrators are trying to promote an "even" compeitions, but the sooner they realise that they should be promoting a "strong" competition, the better off they'll be.

BOMAR

Juniors
welcome to our world, the penrith comp. Brothers were the main inventors of our system and have won the comp since. Last year they were caught not sticking to the points and as i said they devised the system. Still won the comp but their punishment was a laughable fine.

The Major

Bench
Just got word 100 percent that parramatta has approved wenty to play in the penrith comp this season.

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
welcome to our world, the penrith comp. Brothers were the main inventors of our system and have won the comp since. Last year they were caught not sticking to the points and as i said they devised the system. Still won the comp but their punishment was a laughable fine.
Your facts are not correct Bomar - Brothers did not invent the points system , majority of the club was against it as it doesn't promote a strong competition just rewards for mediocrity .It was a certain large life memebr of the club that peddled his idea to Penrith with backing of Windsor.
Last year they didn't win the comp let alone make the grand final.The clubs not sticking with the points were St Marys and Windsor and they got a slap on the wrist this happen when the points come in 2-3 years ago.St Marys won the comp that year.
As we can all see now how backwards the comp has gone.

Roland

Juniors
I dont know who came over from Hills but a few of their juniors have returned to play with them - ex Penrith players Charles Enosi and Lawrence Enosi as well as ex Manly/Asquith and Cooks Islands rep Ina Papera. Cabra forfeited to them so they are in a semi final of the challenge cup even though they did not make the top 5 in the Penrith comp last year.

The Major

Bench
Now another spin on things. I really feel for the players and coaching staff at wenty and Mounties. Although parra has approved the move of the sides across to the penrith comp, the powers that be at penrith and relevant management of the clubs have apparently knocked it on the head. It appears there is some dissention regarding letting these teams in only two weeks away from the comp starting plus blow ups about canteen and drinks takings etc, etc. This decision has been made after the announcement from parra to allow the teams across the border. Where to now?? Word from reliable source is group 6. For what it's worth, I hope it's all codswollop. Speaking to some of the players and it's very evident they are being treated like mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed sh*t.

Captain Mulga

Juniors
Now another spin on things. I really feel for the players and coaching staff at wenty and Mounties. Although parra has approved the move of the sides across to the penrith comp, the powers that be at penrith and relevant management of the clubs have apparently knocked it on the head. It appears there is some dissention regarding letting these teams in only two weeks away from the comp starting plus blow ups about canteen and drinks takings etc, etc. This decision has been made after the announcement from parra to allow the teams across the border. Where to now?? Word from reliable source is group 6. For what it's worth, I hope it's all codswollop. Speaking to some of the players and it's very evident they are being treated like mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed sh*t.

I think what everyone has to remember is that the Parramatta Junior League put all of their restrictions in place well after Xmas when Mounties, Wenty and Cabra had completed the bulk of their recruitment and despite all efforts to come to a compromise, the Parramatta Junior League have shoved their head in the sand.
You would be forgiven for thinking that they are deliberately trying to sink their own senior competition and if that is the case, they have done a good job.
As it stands, these three clubs have no-where to play their excess Bundy Cup players and their experianced A Grade players are also penalised to the point where many will be forced to sit out the season which is kind of sad considering these clubs are trying to promote rugby league and with AFL opening up down the road.
The clubs have been doing their best to sort out a solution but their own junior league has shafted them.
As we all know, the lack of a strong senior competition will wind its way back down the line and the strong clubs, who can afford to field an abundance of junior teams will suffer and the ramifications will be that a lot of junior clubs that are not so well off will lose players as well and will not be in a position to try and retain them.
The management of the Parramatta Junior League are discraceful for making this happen however, they will remain unaccountable and the game in the western suburbs will falter and take another turn for the worse and we will all be sitting back in 10 years watching our kids play a game with four posts instead of two.
It is a sad day for Rugby League in it's heartland.

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
what is the NSWRL doing about this ????
or are they too busy running there 8 team Bundy comp.??
promises of 16 teams by now for that comp as well.

bazza

Immortal
what is the NSWRL doing about this ????
or are they too busy running there 8 team Bundy comp.??
promises of 16 teams by now for that comp as well.

would if be worthwhile getting rid of the old club based leagues at the senior level and have instead a NSWRL run competition in western Sydney with multiple divisions.
That way the stronger clubs can play each other and the other clubs can find an appropriate level

Captain Mulga

Juniors
would if be worthwhile getting rid of the old club based leagues at the senior level and have instead a NSWRL run competition in western Sydney with multiple divisions.
That way the stronger clubs can play each other and the other clubs can find an appropriate level

That is the discussion that has been had for the past two years and to everyone it makes good sense.
Except of course to the management of the junior leagues who see it as an erosion of their power and with Parramatta management in particular, it would loosen their stranglehold on the clubs within their district who are crying out for a structure that will see the future of the competition strenghten and create long term viabilty.
NSWRL have been trying to get this off the ground and the A Grade challenge is the first step however, the process is bogged down in politics and for it to get off the ground someone will need to grow a backbone and make the hard decisions.
The interesting thing is that there will be clubs that fall by the wayside while the time is spent unravelling the politics and no-one seems to care to much about that.
There is no future plan for the A Grade competition in Parramatta and the management have no clue as to how, when or what they will do to address that.
They are incompetant in the most basic form of administration and while their three biggest clubs are on the verge of disbanding their A Grade completely they have remained silent and uninvolved.

Highlander

Juniors
Major

I dont know how they can go to group 6/Wests as the Comp is already two weeks old!!!! I couldnt see 2 or 3 teams coming in late. And i know for a fact that Group 6 CRL clubs would hit the roof!!

A NSWRL Comp taking in all the areas and having 4/5 seniors grades and 2/3 18s would be a great idea let all the clubs play in there level and allow one body to run this.

Roland

Juniors
Have any of the clubs spoken to Balmain. They were trying to get a cross border comp going. If the 3 Parra teams signed up maybe they could put on a 6 team comp for this year.

From yesterday's Daily Telegraph.

Brad Fittler's junior club could pull A-grade team because of dispute
  • By Josh Massoud and James Phelps
  • April 02, 2010 12:00AM
  • 770913-dtstory-brad-fittler.jpg
Mounties junior...Panthers and Roosters legend Brad Fittler. Picture: Brett Costello Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE junior club that produced the great Brad Fittler is on the verge of pulling its A-grade team for the first time in 86 years thanks to a dispute with the Parramatta JRL.

Officials from Mounties (formerly Mt Pritchard) yesterday told us they will not be able to enter an open-age side this season because of a new points system designed to level-out the competition.
Weaker clubs in the Parramatta district have complained that powerhouse outfits such as Mounties, Cabramatta and Wentworthville - all three of which field teams in the statewide Bundaberg Cup - have an advantage because they can afford to pay players.
Over the summer, the Parramatta JRL agreed to introduce a points system designed to cap the number of Bundaberg Cup players that Mounties, Cabramatta and Wentworthville could register for A-Grade.
But Mounties now claim there aren't enough players to make up two separate teams that comply with the cap.

"We've played in the Parramatta A-Grade since 1924, but at this stage we won't be able to field a team under these rules," Mounties manager Michael Pugsley said.
"Suffice to say we're very disappointed. We've produced the likes of Brad Fittler, Eric Grothe Snr and Jnr, Steve Ella, Geoff Gerard and Bob O'Reilly.
"You would think rugby league should be looking for a way to encourage more teams to play the game not push them away."
Wentworthville and Cabramatta are also understood to be aggrieved, but are keeping their powder dry until closer to the start of the A-Grade competition on April 17.
Pugsley said Mounties had appealed to the Parramatta DRL board, which seats club juniors Gerard and Grothe Snr.
"They were sympathetic to our plight, but the meeting was two weeks ago and we still haven't heard anything back," he said.
Grothe said he was unable to comment on the issue, given it was an item of business raised at a board meeting.
In the meantime, Mounties have taken the extraordinary step of searching for alternate districts. But the hunt has been fruitless.
"We've gone to Manly and Penrith, but they can't take us," Pugsley said.
"We've got an application before the combined St George, Canterbury and Balmain competitions, but at this stage it doesn't look all that promising."

Shame on you Parramatta Shame on you.

footyfan66

Juniors
Are any of the also-rans parra A Grade sides kitted up and ready to go this season?

Yes, the make-up of the 1st Division A grade is as follows: Lalor Park, Cabramatta (1), Merrylands (1), Hills District, Rouse Hill & Seven Hills.

2nd Division looks like this: Lalor Park, Cabramatta, Merrylands, Hills District, Rouse Hill, Seven Hills, CVD Cobras, Fairfield Pats, Marconi and All Saints Toongabbie.

Meanwhile, I know for a fact that the Wenty boys still don't know where they are playing or even if they are playing. It's a complete debacle and if the Parramatta Club don't use this to have a good long look at the management of the district JRL, they are kidding themselves. How they can let two of the strongest clubs in the state, far less the district walk away is unbelievable.

Latest posts