What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra boss denies Gower rumours

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We should ask the Sharks if they would release Tim Smith to us. I would sign him for a year with an option for another. Buying Gower is just crazy.

I would not agrue against that, especially when you consider the lacdk of experienced half backs on the market

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Do you believe him?

why shouldn't i? gower most likely wants more than a 1 season deal and given the coin he's after (he can always extend his stay in europe), why should we tie up 2012 money on craig gower when there are better long term targets coming up?

salvy71

Juniors
Fair enough response from Osborne ....I just wish I knew what path they are going down .....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ideally we want everybody thinking we're after every off-contract player, even the ones we're not interested in.

What this does is push the prices of those players up so that other clubs are more likely to have to pay overs for them (even if their own clubs re-sign them).

This then makes those clubs less competitive when competing with us for the players we do want.

The only reason for us to make our true intentions public knowledge is to make the whiny f**king fans happy.

jono

Juniors
Ideally we want everybody thinking we're after every off-contract player, even the ones we're not interested in.

What this does is push the prices of those players up so that other clubs are more likely to have to pay overs for them (even if their own clubs re-sign them).

This then makes those clubs less competitive when competing with us for the players we do want.

The only reason for us to make our true intentions public knowledge is to make the whiny f**king fans happy.
Exactly what Canterbury did to us re: K . Keatiing /D . Mortimer

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Exactly what Canterbury did to us re: K . Keatiing /D . Mortimer

Keating's no better than Mortimer.

He's bigger and quicker but Mortimer's the better playmaker. Also Mortimer brings fans in through his marketability. Scoff all you want but it's another string to his bow.

the thing is if we are signing him why would you deny it for?
they might still be negotiating the price or working out the finer details if they confirmed they were in negotiations with him they would have the media on their back every day "has he signed yet?" "whats the holdup in negotiations" plus the media would just make up their own figure so next thing you know we have signed him for $2 million a season it would just be a circus easier to deny it now then announce it when the contract is signed

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Keating's no better than Mortimer.

He's bigger and quicker but Mortimer's the better playmaker. Also Mortimer brings fans in through his marketability. Scoff all you want but it's another string to his bow.

Mortimer is coming along nicely this year. Anyone bagging him out is doing so on last years form.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Also on gower, it comes down to price. I get the feeling that we past on Orford because of his price ( and also the time taken for him to get a release). No9w if we signed him for small fee of lets say 100k plus match payments (yes a gamble but you need to take a chance sometimes, remember McGuire most weren't expecting him to show the form he has), I wouldn't say no - also don't forget if Robson or Mortimer are injured there isn't much left to replace him considering the "Humble Mystery". But if Gower was expecting between $200k to 400k or more, then there is no way I would sign him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But if Gower was expecting between $200k to 400k or more, then there is no way I would sign him.

And this is why older players find it so hard to get a job in the age of the salary cap.

What they want is security - a fat contract that lets them get paid even when they're injured.

This is at odds with what's best for the club, which is best served by an incentive contract that pays the player most of his money per appearance. The risk of injury for older players is just too high.

I blame WorkChoices.

Gower must be realistic and take a huge paycut if he wants back in the NRL. He would be lucky to get offered more than $200k and no more than a 2 year deal. He said on OneHD that he could play over in italy or france til he is 40 but if he wants one more crack at NRL he has to do it now and has already started to improve his fitness levels.

mickdo

Coach
I would have no issue with any Parra official lying their ass off to the media about players we are or aren't chasing, if it helps us with negotiations. Those media scum lie their ass off enough as it is, so they can damn well have some back.

strider

Post Whore
I would have no issue with any Parra official lying their ass off to the media about players we are or aren't chasing, if it helps us with negotiations. Those media scum lie their ass off enough as it is, so they can damn well have some back.
i agree 100%

jono

Juniors
Mortimer is coming along nicely this year. Anyone bagging him out is doing so on last years form.
Not bagging Mortimer , but my point is , that Canterbury really wanted KK in the first place , threw everyone the furphy about wanting Morts and in so doing bumped up his price , forced us to make a choice between the two and thus freed up KK so that they could get him.
I agree ,Morts is a lot better this year , particularly in the last game v Cows

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not bagging Mortimer , but my point is , that Canterbury really wanted KK in the first place , threw everyone the furphy about wanting Morts and in so doing bumped up his price , forced us to make a choice between the two and thus freed up KK so that they could get him.

Yeah totally agree the bulldogs played it very nicely.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Didnt Mortimer sign with us just prior to the season proper last year? and wasnt he tossing wether to sign with us or the dogs. Meaning he had a contract waiting with the dogs and could have gone there if he desired too. Not sure there was a furphy from the dogs, the seemed legit in wanting him

I think a lot of eels fans (at the time) were happy he signed with us (based on his form in 2009, and becoming even better in 2010). Things didnt pan out that was as the season progressed. KK stood up in some games and became a target for the dogs

i think they had plan A and plan B throw the big dollars at morts so we cant afford to match their price and keep both of them if they get him, fine if not they take keating

jono

Juniors
i think they had plan A and plan B throw the big dollars at morts so we cant afford to match their price and keep both of them if they get him, fine if not they take keating
..which is much better than our Plan A - Kimmorley , Plan B Barrett ,
Plan C Orford , Plan D Cooper , Plan E Gower , etc etc
Our recruiting seems a little ad hoc , don't you think?

Latest posts