What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Players sent to work

Parra

Referee
don't you mean eels are never out of the press? sometimes it feels like we are in brisbane newy or canberra with all the coverage we get you almost forget there are other teams in sydney

Hadn't noticed apparently. Bring on the stunts.

strider

Post Whore
keep the sponsors happy - do their work

i assume they are the existing sponsor who'll throw more money at us than pirtek if it all falls in a hole - so makes sense to start paying them back :)

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels players put in hard yakka on building sites
NO - this isn't Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney's idea of punishment after the Eels finished the 2011 NRL season a disappointing 14th.

934395-john-mannah-and-chris-sandow.jpg

Digging in: John Mannah and Chris Sandow with other Parramatta Eels players working on a construction site at Baulkham Hills, Sydney. Picture: Brett Costello
Star signing Chris Sandow was among 41 players who yesterday worked a full day - on top of training sessions at Parramatta Stadium in the morning and the afternoon - in a gruelling second day since their return from the off-season.
The Eels' first grade squad was spread out across eight construction sites surrounding Parramatta under Kearney's orders to Eels education officer Kevin Wise to have his players experience a "real day's work".

Only players with injury concerns - Casey McGuire (shoulder), Reni Maitua (ankle), Jacob Loko (knee) and Esi Tonga (groin) - were excused from the construction sites, but they were just as busy working a full day at the Sydney Car Wash in Baulkham Hills.
Captain Nathan Hindmarsh, Sandow, Tim Mannah, Jarryd Hayne and John Mannah were among a team of eight players helping to carry whitegoods, dig paths and help out with a range of other assorted jobs.
Despite a host of high-profile recruits including Sandow, centre Willie Tonga and five-eighth Ben Roberts, Hindmarsh said the Eels would not be putting pressure on themselves by declaring lofty ambitions for the 2012 season.
Follow @Telegraph_Sport on Twitter and like Telegraph Sport on Facebook
934491-jarryd-hayne.jpg

Hard yakka: Jarryd Hayne wields a shovel on a construction site in Baulkham Hills. Picture: Brett Costello
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...n-building-sites/story-e6frfgbo-1226182935098

Gronk

Staff member
Bulldogs, Eels get back to basics

Michael Chammas

CANTERBURY and Parramatta both took a walk down memory lane yesterday as they launched their respective redemption missions ahead of the 2012 NRL season.
At Belmore, Bulldogs coach Jim Dymock called for a return of the ''Dogs of War'', while the Eels traded football boots for steel caps in a throwback to the days before rugby league turned professional.
The rivals are two of the proudest clubs in the competition, but their inability to reach this year's finals series has dented their reputations.
Advertisement: Story continues below
At Canterbury, it's all about the old - restoring the traditions and characteristics that once defined the club.
''Jimmy has spoken about his belief in the group and he doesn't really care what the other sides are doing,'' potential skipper Michael Ennis said.
''He wants to bring back the Dogs culture, what the club's about and the way they've always played. He wants to instil that in this group and ensure that we work really hard for each other, that we train really hard, but [that] we have a lot of fun.''
With Dymock at the helm for just one year before the arrival of Manly coach Des Hasler in 2013, questions have been asked of the players' commitment. But Dymock insists there will be no shortage of motivation as the club begins its quest for finals football after a two-year hiatus.
''Some of the boys are playing for contracts, some of the staff are in the same position,'' Dymock said.
''The best way to try and sell yourself is to play well … We haven't been in the semi-finals for the last two years, we keep telling the boys that we need to lift … we can't worry about what Manly are doing or when Des is coming.''
At Parramatta, it's all about the new. With halves Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts joining the club, and Australian centre Willie Tonga on his way, building new combinations will be a top priority.
The bonding began yesterday, with several Eels starting the preseason on a Dyldam construction site, where they will be for the rest of the week.
Skipper Nathan Hindmarsh, who indicated 2012 may not be his last year in the NRL, believes Sandow will add a new dimension to the Eels when the season kicks off on March 1.
''Look at what he did for Souths,'' Hindmarsh said.
''A bit of speed, a bit of spark and zip, which is what we've been lacking across the board. And I really like his kicking game.''
The Eels have struggled to cement a solid halves combination for more than a decade, and considering the $500,000 Sandow will be earning each season, there is a lot of expectation on the 22-year-old to deliver.
''There's a lot of pressure,'' Sandow said. ''I think there is on everyone … It's not something new to me because even when I first started at Souths, there was heaps of pressure on me.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...k-to-basics-20111101-1mtxd.html#ixzz1cUHZL5xL

jk13

First Grade
why is captain stubing behind jarryd in the photo. is the love boat getting a new poop deck?

oldmancraigy

Coach
This whole going to work for a week thing is part of Kearney's clever rorting of the cap.

Apparently we're paying gratuities of $10k/day so that the players can work at the site. Supposedly this covers the company in the event of injury, but really it gets given back to the players as "non arranged 3rd party payments"

$50k extra for everyone who "works"!

MrT

Juniors
This whole going to work for a week thing is part of Kearney's clever rorting of the cap.

Apparently we're paying gratuities of $10k/day so that the players can work at the site. Supposedly this covers the company in the event of injury, but really it gets given back to the players as "non arranged 3rd party payments"

are you trying to bait Weidler?

eels81236

Bench

That is a big call right there. How did you stumble across this?

oldmancraigy

Coach
That is a big call right there. How did you stumble across this?

Mate if I could say that then I doubt I'd be getting such tidbits in the future!

The good news is that it's not rorting the cap at all - it fits perfectly within the rules as they currently stand - but expect a change to stop the 'work for the sponsorship' loophole to be closed in the near future!

Perfectly legal - it's just like the Dogs a few years back when they restructured Patten and Ryan and paid them up front (now actually illegal!)

But there's a reason the article quotes Sandow at $500k --> he's on $1.7mill over 4, so $425k per year- but then add on his 'work' money and it's close enough to $500k!

Eels Dude

Coach
Mate if I could say that then I doubt I'd be getting such tidbits in the future!

The good news is that it's not rorting the cap at all - it fits perfectly within the rules as they currently stand - but expect a change to stop the 'work for the sponsorship' loophole to be closed in the near future!

Perfectly legal - it's just like the Dogs a few years back when they restructured Patten and Ryan and paid them up front (now actually illegal!)

But there's a reason the article quotes Sandow at $500k --> he's on $1.7mill over 4, so $425k per year- but then add on his 'work' money and it's close enough to $500k!

Sounds very dodogy if what you are saying is true. Though I've heard of inside info about some of the stuff specific clubs do to work around the cap. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a salary cap to begin with if clubs stretch the rules in such ways.

Parra Pride

Referee
Sounds very dodogy if what you are saying is true. Though I've heard of inside info about some of the stuff specific clubs do to work around the cap. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a salary cap to begin with if clubs stretch the rules in such ways.

I agree, it sounds very dodogy indeed, but as long as it's not dodgy who cares?