What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra vs Brissy - *Spoilers*

The Colonel

Immortal
Stringer, Tahu, Grothe, Widders and Wagon all didn't play. Morrison seems to have injured his knee. Delaney ha had an ankle injury and badly infected wisdom teeth. Outside of the rest of the game who knows...

The Colonel

Immortal
The Immortal Luke Covell said:
wisdom teeth injury? cry baby

:roll: They've been badly infected. He played last week in Premier League and by a few accounts spent much of the game vomiting behind the posts. He was supposed to have them removed on Tuesday or Wednesday so hopefully it won't be a problem any longer.

Big Pete

Referee
First convincing win from the Broncos in quite awhile.

To be fair to Parra they didn't play that well. If they had of spent less time kicking and more time thinking they would've won.

Personally I thought Ennis was the Broncos MotM he was just superb and added another dimension to the attack. Hodges was also awesome. Lockyer showed what he can do without all the pressure on him.

BTW for the Ben Smith try, I'm not sure, but can anyone tell me if Burt is offside? It seemed really sus while watching it at the game.

scottyeel

Bench
Big Pete said:
First convincing win from the Broncos in quite awhile.

To be fair to Parra they didn't play that well. If they had of spent less time kicking and more time thinking they would've won.

Personally I thought Ennis was the Broncos MotM he was just superb and added another dimension to the attack. Hodges was also awesome. Lockyer showed what he can do without all the pressure on him.

BTW for the Ben Smith try, I'm not sure, but can anyone tell me if Burt is offside? It seemed really sus while watching it at the game.
On the radio Mark Braybrook and Tommy said he was on on-side. Must of been close but because they sounded surprised after watching the replay and seeing that he was ok.

renouf

Juniors
Brisbane played very well, I've heard the media all afternoon say how poorly Parramatta played and not how well Brisbane did. Still it means nothing to us, we're waiting for Round 20 onwards..

salivor

First Grade
I've been pretty negative about the first 2 rounds and our overall prospects this year but I can only see positives out of todays match regardless of how poorly the Eels played.

The things that really impressed me were:
- The up and in defence starting to click in to place, Parramatta were continually forced to run sideways and lost a lot of ground. The ruck defence also was rock solid finally and against a side with two very strong dummy halves in Riddell and Marsh, it was a big step forward IMO.
- The work of Seymour and Hunt today, neither had the games of their lives but Hunt in particular upping his involvement meant Lockyer only had to make a couple of touches a game and lead to him having his best performances in a long time. Seymour as well took almost full control of our kicking game.
- We finally found some creativity in our attack, simple things like decoys, second phase play and getting the opposition backpeddling out of dummy half, things that have almost been absent from the Broncos for a while now.

Theres certainly no allusions that we're a premiership threat but I think thats a solid base for this team to work on as the year progresses. I'd much rather see the Broncos work their way into a season and build towards finals time than the usual starting starting with a hiss and a roar only to fall flat when it counts that we've seen for the last 5 years.

Kiwi

First Grade
salivor said:
I've been pretty negative about the first 2 rounds and our overall prospects this year but I can only see positives out of todays match regardless of how poorly the Eels played.

The Eels really didn't play that poorly, or as poorly as people are making out.

salivor said:
The things that really impressed me were:
- The up and in defence starting to click in to place, Parramatta were continually forced to run sideways and lost a lot of ground. The ruck defence also was rock solid finally and against a side with two very strong dummy halves in Riddell and Marsh, it was a big step forward IMO.

This is what made people think the Eels played poorly, but I think it was more the Broncos defense dictated the play to the Eels, even when they made breaks, the scrambling defense shut them down when in the past Hunt would have been left stranded and made to look stupid. That has been missing, a team makes a break and no one chases, means Hunt is on his own. Hunt saved a few tries today thanks to being able to commit to taking the ball carrier and not having to worry about the support.

salivor said:
- The work of Seymour and Hunt today, neither had the games of their lives but Hunt in particular upping his involvement meant Lockyer only had to make a couple of touches a game and lead to him having his best performances in a long time. Seymour as well took almost full control of our kicking game.

This made our attack look much better, and kept Lockyer fresh. I'd like to see this continue with Seymour doing most of the kicking with Hunt, Lockyer and Ennis chipping in. Hunt got himself into first reciever alot, I don't think Seymour was ever going to be dropped, Hunt playing halfback was probably more to get him into the habit of getting the ball in his hands at first reciever.

salivor said:
- We finally found some creativity in our attack, simple things like decoys, second phase play and getting the opposition backpeddling out of dummy half, things that have almost been absent from the Broncos for a while now.

It's funny, they looked good in attack, yet it was simple things that did it. Decoy runners, offloading, passing before the line, cut out passes, changing the angles and dummy half runs.

I can honestly say I see the light at the end of the tunnel. The attack can and still will improve with Carroll, Tate and Thaiday still to return.

Kiwi

First Grade
Razor said:
Next week - Cowboys by 62; Dragons by 20

How many weeks till Johns gets injured and the Knights season ends? some where between round 5 and 8 sound about right?

Latest posts