What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra vs Newcastle Game thread

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
Hi all. This game was of a terrible standard. Both teams looked lost in attack - which made it look like both defences were great. IMO, at least Newcastle can say they are just out of form and can somewhat blame their lack of cohesion on losing Mullen.

I said before that I was concerned with Kearney's "vision" for this side. This whole "structured" approach (mimicking Melbourne, if you will) does not guarantee success - especially when you do not have the players to pull it off. The reason I liked Anderson as a coach was because he saw our limitations and developed a style of play to make us competitive - rather than trying to force players to play a certain style. Even last year, if a few things went our way we make the 8 and who knows what would have happened? I believe he would have had a long term plan (despite what the propaganda machine wants you to think) but was doing what he could to keep us competitive in the meantime. I guess we'll never know the real truth there.

On the other hand, Kearney seems happy to keep banging his head against the same brick wall each week. It is obviously not working but he keeps going believing it will happen...I'm not so sure. I am pretty confident it won't happen this year anyway. I will reserve my judgement for Kearney and his plans after next year.

Anyway, there's still a long way to go this season. I watch with interest as it all unfolds. Go the Eels!

WOE
As a coach Kearney is starting to concern me a little now, no change in attitude whatsoever, still mentally weak as ever.

Kornstar

Coach
Gidley stops Horo with exactly the same tackle as Fui got penalsied for 5 mins from the end of the game, nothing from the dopes in the middle.

When we were pulled back from a long break for whatever, Hindy asks Suttor ,"what was that for", Suttor " a knock on", Hindy looking dumbfounded " where". The anwer from Suttor " somewhere'.

We wonder why we don't win under certain refs, he is a merkin

To be fair to Suttor there, he didn't call the knock on, it came from somewhere else. You could hear "knock on" through the TV and he was happy to play on, he really had no idea because he was happy to play on.

Kornstar

Coach
Did it rain for the whole 80 minutes in the Cowboys game ? pretty hard to play high quality in conditions like last night at newcastle.

Also couldn't get the boys "up" for the game - what a load of crap we only lost by 2 points due to a stupid penalty. The boys were definitely up for the game and defended very well just our crappy kicking game didn't help.

Newcastle were crap in attack, threw nothing good at us and then when Mullen went off they had even less. We were ordinary and like most games this year we look uninterested for long periods!

That was a game that was there for the taking an no-one stood up!

actually while we're at it, walker gets a clean put down we win the game..funny how things turn out.

Still wouldn't have changed the fact of how bad we were, we just would have been lucky, again!

Kornstar

Coach
As long as we don't lose to 0 against the drags again, that would be 3 in a row :( Someone kick a field goal with 2 minutes left if we have too...

Kick one every time we are down there I say, it might look like we actually scored a try....

Suitman

Post Whore
As a coach Kearney is starting to concern me a little now, no change in attitude whatsoever, still mentally weak as ever.

Really? We've only let in only two tries in two weeks and you haven't seen a change in attitude? :roll:

Our inability to score points has nothing to do with attitude.

Suity

Kornstar

Coach
Really? We've only let in only two tries in two weeks and you haven't seen a change in attitude? :roll:

Suity

Neither side has thrown anything remotely tricky at us, Friday will be the real test to see if it in fact has improved.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors

Suity
No I hav'nt the sharks team was a state cup side, and last night it was pissing down and the Knights were just as bad as us, though wanted it more, if u think the last two games we have a changed outlook u are very silly, ask the others if our attitude has shifted?

Kornstar

Coach
What gets me is our lack of urgency, a ball goes to ground and everyone watches it waiting for anyone else!

There is no desperation in our squad, surely asking for that is not too much if you ask me!

If we are truly getting back to basics, we have failed at the simple fundamentals of the game......8 months is surely enough time to see some improvement? I see none.....

Eels Dude

Coach
What gets me is our lack of urgency, a ball goes to ground and everyone watches it waiting for anyone else!

There is no desperation in our squad, surely asking for that is not too much if you ask me!

If we are truly getting back to basics, we have failed at the simple fundamentals of the game......8 months is surely enough time to see some improvement? I see none.....

Yeah that was a massive turning point. Attitude still isn't right, and that should be the easiest thing for a coach to improve.

lingard

Coach

Suity

Agree. In fact, I don`t think attitude has been our problem for a long time. It`s lack of personel. With Sandow and Roberts, we are on the way to rectifying that, though.

lingard

Coach
No I hav'nt the sharks team was a state cup side, and last night it was pissing down and the Knights were just as bad as us, though wanted it more, if u think the last two games we have a changed outlook u are very silly, ask the others if our attitude has shifted?

Before you criticise their attitude, look at our team and tell me how many of our guys would be automatic selections in any of the top eight sides in the comp? Do you think Robson, Morgan, Walker, Keating, Mitchell, Allgood, McGuire would necessarily even make the Newcastle side? It`s not attitude, it`s lack of quality players.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
Before you criticise their attitude, look at our team and tell me how many of our guys would be automatic selections in any of the top eight sides in the comp? Do you think Robson, Morgan, Walker, Keating, Mitchell, Allgood, McGuire would necessarily even make the Newcastle side? It`s not attitude, it`s lack of quality players.[/QU

Lingard I am not talking about the quality of the players I am talking about attitude and mental toughness which we dont have and havent had for a very long time, u can be average and still be mentally tough, yes? we are playing as we have under Hagan, Anderson and nothing has changed with Kearney, all this talk of a complete overhaul in attitude this year has not come to fruition yet.

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
The Knights were pretty ordinary and that game was there to be won last night. I reckon attitude is a bit of a problem fro our team at the moment.

fish eel

Immortal
I cant believe some of the nonsense I've read about the quality of our performance, and even effort last night. Actually, when I see who is making the criticisms, its not really surprising.

The conditions were dreadful. I havent sat through many more miserable conditions than what was at Newcastle last night. There were a heap of positives for us, namely our defence. There were plenty of times when the Knights had momentum and crowd behind them, and we held them out on our own goal line. Sure, sometimes it was because they made a mistake - but the quality of our own defence was still there.

The most pleasing thing was when we fell behind 8-0, in those conditions, we didnt turn it up. In fact, we probably should have won it.

Hayne has copped a bit of stick in various places as well. I thought he was good. He got us repeat sets and his perfect kick into the in goal should have won us the game had walker been able to ground it.