What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra vs Roosters - Game Day Thread

Kornstar

Coach
I just watched the presser. Sticky just read the script from a Kearney presser.

"all the boys tried hard"

"long road ahead"

"they had a far better roster than us"

Sorry Mr Stuart, but their roster is not 50 nil better than us. It's about effort and enthusiasm that caused the blow out in the score.

Enthusiasm seems to be the biggest issue (and has been for a very long time), that is what annoys me most. You don't have to be the most talented to be enthusiastic and compete in every play!

forward pass

Coach
I agree our roster is terrible - it has been bad for 6 years now - yes even 2009 (remember our halves were Mortimer and Robson).

But the simple fact is that poor roster or not, the most disappointing thing about this side is their complete and utter inabilty to defend a mistake. Every freakin time we make an error - we concede a try. One example - Keatings poor pass to Lussick - try conceded next set. It has been amazing how many times it has happened this season.

And as for Ben Smith - every time he makes a tackle I expect a penalty - he pushes the envelope in every tackle he makes.

Delboy

First Grade
let's give some credit to the chooks, they are building a premiership contending side

The real comment is that the side was built by Brian Smith, the current coach has some good fortune in that respect

BS may end up being a pain to the players, but he is a real footy head

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Anyone who looked at the roster and thought we would finish better than 12th were kidding themselves.

We have now a good coaching structure, a good CEO, a better admin and a terrific fan base. It now takes the fans to support the club and understand that it will take time to rebuild.

I still believe our team could be much more competitive than they have been. The attack has been woeful for so long. We are the most predictable attack in the league!

In round 1 it was only Warriors defensive errors that blew that score out but also we did get the ball out wide quicker.

There is a lack of direction in attack and a persistence with one out footy.

84 Baby

Referee
Yes, problem is many of the really talented players are not in the best teams and get overlooked.

A talent scout should have the ability to see past the superstar team and look at the individual players, problem is most of them don't have this ability.

I have personally seen player/s in the lesser team/s who are doing 40 plus tackles a match and doing a phenomenal job in attack in a beaten side but get continually overlooked for rep honours - I just shake my head and go - there is another one they missed out on.
I half agree with you because in most sports I have played I have been that other guy. Good enough to really restrict the opposition superstar but never really given a go at higher level representation. But as I've matured I've come to the realisation why it is, or at least why it should be. 'Why it is' is generally because of what you said, players get reputations or look big and fast or whatever at really young ages and tend to just keep following it through.

I know when I step out for a game just exactly how I want to play, I know the rules and I try to play with intelligence, essentially I am a coach to myself during the game. Within minutes I know how I am going to limit their best player, how I will get around him and how I will stop him. But you can take 2 things from that. Firstly I am focusing on their best player/s, if their best player isn't that good, my performance may not be as good as it could otherwise have been. Secondly I can really only control my own actions, other players may like the way I play, others may not even take any notice of any effect I have. Superstars on the other hand aren't looking to limit themselves to being the best on ground, they want to be the best ever. As opposed to me taking a safe option, they might take a completely stupid option but drive themselves to pull it off. And then in doing so they make sure everyone takes notice, they can drive their team to be better, even if their actions creates some of their teammates to be slackers.

So if I'm a selector who has to choose one youngster, I'd pick the superstar every single time, because good coaching can make him better and the toiler is only going to be as good as he allows himself to be. A persistent toiler will make it all the way if they want to anyway.

Chipmunk

Coach
I still believe our team could be much more competitive than they have been. The attack has been woeful for so long. We are the most predictable attack in the league!

In round 1 it was only Warriors defensive errors that blew that score out but also we did get the ball out wide quicker.

You're always going to have poor direction in attack at least 3 out of 4 weeks with a 7 than doesnt organise and a 9 that is useless.

Ratchy

Juniors

Very hard to ping the ball around the field when the forward pack isn't going forward or bending the line.

natheel

Coach
I'm over in the USA. Woke up to that score. Anyone shed light on the game? Who stood up in a badly beaten outfit? And who should be gone apart from Roberts and Keating because those 2 should go even when we win

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm over in the USA. Woke up to that score. Anyone shed light on the game? Who stood up in a badly beaten outfit? And who should be gone apart from Roberts and Keating because those 2 should go even when we win

One word terrible , not much to be gain from the game. Very few positives from the game except there were no injuries. Listen to Ricky's post game press interview he pretty much sums it up - we don't have a good enough squad.

In my opinion mannah, morgan, loco, Sio tried hard - our backrow / dummy halves were crap

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not as much as suggesting he doesn't give penalties away.

Nobody suggested he doesn't give penalties away. He is well known for conceding penalties when opposition teams get a roll on - he is trying to slow them down.

But it was stated that he gave away no penalties in the first two games which is a fact. And the stats support it.

Can't believe all the merkins who said he gave away penalties in the first two games. They have zero proof. Can't even point to a spot on the video (available on nrl.com) to prove their point.

Nobody suggested he doesn't give penalties away. He is well known for conceding penalties when opposition teams get a roll on - he is trying to slow them down.

But it was stated that he gave away no penalties in the first two games which is a fact. And the stats support it.

Can't believe all the merkins who said he gave away penalties in the first two games. They have zero proof. Can't even point to a spot on the video (available on nrl.com) to prove their point.

Sadly I think the refs have pencilled him down as a serial offender so are quick to blow the whistle on Benny.

That said, we wouldn't have been in my Eels team at the start of the year, and nothing has changed in my point of view.

Latest posts