What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Centre of Excellence Build

T-Boon

Coach
Lol why is everyone so focused on the juniors about this? This facility is for the entire footballing organisation. From the 14's development and their staff to first grade and their staff. Including the women's teams in the Tarsha Gale and eventual WNRL team. All the way to the board of the PNRL.

Plus the 3 juniors we've "lost" have gone to the dogs, manly and roosters. It didn't matter when we were training at Richie Benaud Oval or Parramatta Marist for the juniors, teams were still looking to poach players from our districts. But this doesn't mean we haven't done the same, we've got players from; Cronulla, Bathurst, Innisfail, Wauchope, Manly, Central Coast, Nambucca, Fiji (1 via England), NZ. Every club does it but those 3 represent a small percentage of "juniors" that we'll lose to other clubs, in a few years I expect a lot more to be at other clubs, not because of the CoE but because we have wave after wave of strong juniors coming through.

I probably started the focus on juniors as it relates to this thread.
I guess I just cringe when I read we are going to become "developers". Hearing that makes me think we are about to fall even further behind the big clubs in terms of poaching the best.
I don't know if we ever had great juniors (we had great bush scouts from my memory) but I know we certainly don't have good juniors now.
Anyway maybe the CoE changes this.

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach
Can you elaborate on this ? Is it confirmed.

It’s in the other article on the Daily Telegraph site.

“The Hills Shire Times understands the long-proposed Kellyville Sports Club neighbouring the Kellyville Metro Station will be run by The Parramatta Eels, providing a “double whammy for Eels supporters”, according to a NSW Government source.

The profits from the club will go to a range of sporting codes across The Hills.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...m_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_content=SocialFlow

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
It’s in the other article on the Daily Telegraph site.

“The Hills Shire Times understands the long-proposed Kellyville Sports Club neighbouring the Kellyville Metro Station will be run by The Parramatta Eels, providing a “double whammy for Eels supporters”, according to a NSW Government source.

The profits from the club will go to a range of sporting codes across The Hills.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...m_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_content=SocialFlow

Who's paying for it? Do you know?

TheRam

Coach
Does anyone know what the completion dates for each stage are? Are we talking significant years or just a couple?

emjaycee

Coach
Does anyone know what the completion dates for each stage are? Are we talking significant years or just a couple?
I know that the plan as of end of April was to get us in there for training by the end of the calendar year.
Can't remember the durations of each stage though - sorry.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I probably started the focus on juniors as it relates to this thread.
I guess I just cringe when I read we are going to become "developers". Hearing that makes me think we are about to fall even further behind the big clubs in terms of poaching the best.
I don't know if we ever had great juniors (we had great bush scouts from my memory) but I know we certainly don't have good juniors now.
Anyway maybe the CoE changes this.

But you said we should be chasing the best 16-18 year olds, which we're doing and have been doing for the last 5 or so years.

emjaycee

Coach
But you said we should be chasing the best 16-18 year olds, which we're doing and have been doing for the last 5 or so years.
I think the issue is that realistically, no one is anyones "junior" until they reach the rep levels. I mean we can't really claim Jai Arrow as an Eels junior given his family moved to the GC when he was six years old.

TheRam

Coach
I think the issue is that realistically, no one is anyones "junior" until they reach the rep levels. I mean we can't really claim Jai Arrow as an Eels junior given his family moved to the GC when he was six years old.

Bring him home I say. He is the sort of guy that will develop into a leader better then anyone currently, that I can see, at our club.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Bet BA didn’t even talk to him FFS!!

emjaycee

Coach
Bring him home I say. He is the sort of guy that will develop into a leader better then anyone currently, that I can see, at our club.
He is at home mate - Jai doesn't see Sydney as his home, he is a Gold Coast boy through and through.

Gronk

Staff member
I know that the plan as of end of April was to get us in there for training by the end of the calendar year.
Can't remember the durations of each stage though - sorry.

Even though moving the demountables seems a simple task, they still need plumbing, power, footings, secure perimeter fencing and (most importantly) new turf to be laid.

EDIT: Does the Kellyville site already have field lighting ?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Yeah, a definition needs to be sorted out. A possibility is that you become a "local junior" where you play your first game when you start playing under international rules at 13. And then a junior can also be when you play Harold Matts (and the QLD equivalent). Take Sam Hughes for example, he's a Cronulla local as he played for De La Selle at the age of 13 but is an Eels junior as his first junior rep game was for us.

Gronk

Staff member
We should build an orphanage in the Centre of Excellence and start em young like they do at the yearling sales. Parramatta have a proud tradition of this.

B9332534341Z.1_20180526163636_000_GUVM02F94.1-0.jpg

LSP00650.jpg

ACC002_034_023-1024x863.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
PARRAMATTA EELS SECURE FUNDING FOR NEW HIGH-PERFORMANCE CENTRE
Parramatta_Eels_2019_Community_Rugby_League_facility.jpg

MAY 14, 2019
AQUATICS / GOVERNMENT / RECREATION / SPORT
The Parramatta Eels have announced a plan to commence building the largest high-performance and community rugby league facility in Australia, thanks to a $15 million funding commitment from the Federal Government.

The proposed $40 million complex in Sydney’s north-west will house a High-Performance Centre for the Parramatta Eels, along with four international rugby league fields, an elite standard match venue and a 5,000 metre² community facility.

Parramatta Eels Chief Executive, Bernie Gurr said the facility would focus strongly on driving engagement with the Eels and the wider community, stating “(this) announcement is a landmark day for our club.

“This project will provide a world-class sporting facility that will enable our NRL team and youth academy programs to be housed in one state of the art venue and enhance our capacity to give back to the community.

“Through our discussions with The Hills Shire Council it quickly became clear that we had an opportunity to build something really special, a place that could cater to the changing needs of one of the fast-growing regions in Australia and increase participation in rugby league and touch football from grassroots all the way up to the NRL and NRLW level.”

Announced in the final week of the Federal election, Federal Member for Mitchell Alex Hawke, said the funding announcement shows the Governments’ commitment to investing in local sporting communities. However, he did not make clear whether the funding had been committed in the last Federal budget or was an election pledge.

Advising that the development would be a great opportunity for the local community and for elite players, Hills Shire Mayor, Dr Michelle Byrne advised “Council have been working collaboratively with the Parramatta Eels on the vision for a community and a high-performance centre that will provide opportunities for our residents to play sport at the highest levels and ensure grassroots rugby league receives the highest standard facilities.

“We look forward to finalising the designs of the project together and working with all the relevant parties in delivering this great vision.”

The new facility is expected to support various community groups such as Wheelchair Rugby League, Try Time and Physical Disability Rugby League, as well as the NRL School to Work program, delivering benefits to multi-cultural communities with a focus on social cohesion and diversity.

With the Eels to move away from their current training base in North Parramatta, it has been suggested that the site could be a site for a new aquatic centre to replace the now demolished Parramatta War Memorial Swimming Pool.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/parramatta-eels-secure-funding-for-new-high-performance-centre/

Latest posts