What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#Parramatta Eels is a club in desperate need of a culture change

Parra Pride

Referee
587317-stephen-kearney.jpg
Under-fire Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

DEAN Ritchie addresses the burning questions Parramatta's fed-up fans want answered.

What's going on with the coaching structure?

There is a push for Jason Taylor to come in over the top of Steve Kearney as coaching director. Taylor is coaching the Roosters under 20s. How can you have a Toyota Cup coach instructing an NRL coach? That would insult Kearney.

Can Taylor and Stephen Kearney work together?

Won't work, and won't happen. Two coaches wanting to implement their own ideas would be doomed for disaster. Parramatta are hedging their bets. Either back Kearney or sack him.

Why is Chris Sandow playing off the bench? Why drop him to reserve grade - he's a confidence player.

It is a bizarre decision from Kearney. Either start Sandow or push him back to NSW Cup. He needs to be playing football. He needs to feel part of the club. He looks completely lost.

Why is tireless captain Nathan Hindmarsh no longer an 80-minute player?

Hindmarsh's thrust is slowly going as he nears retirement. But the bloke is a club legend. He looks embarrassed riding a bike on the sideline for extended periods of time. Against the Bulldogs, Hindmarsh was substituted after 30 minutes - then the floodgates opened.

Will anyone take responsibility?

Kearney has to. He appears so calm and composed in press conferences. I sometimes think Eels fans want to see some fire in his eyes. Start ripping in to his side for sub-standard performances.

Does Jarryd Hayne have an attitude problem? if not, what's wrong?

Hayne is your classic Gen Y. He comes across with a 'whatever happens, happens' attitude. Outsiders claim he is arrogant. His teammates disagree. But he needs to stand up now with his club in crisis.

Why are seasoned first graders Shane Shackleton and Justin Horo stuck in reserve grade?

Shackleton abused Kearney on social media. His papers have been marked, and rightly so. Kearney does not deserve to be called a 'f ... wit'. Horo is a strong player. I am stunned Kearney hasn't used him.

Who is responsible for recruitment? Was Taulima Tautai really signed from Cronulla to play NSW Cup?

It comes back to Kearney. He hires and fires. The recruitment has been appalling for years. They cannot seem to identify talent whether it be in the local junior ranks or at other clubs. There is no pattern to their recruitment.

Can the Eels win another game this season?

Of course they will. But winning three, four or five games won't appease angry fans. They are entitled to be filthy. Changes need to be made at all levels.

Will the board take responsibility for on-field struggles and stand down?

We were promised the world when chairman Roy Spagnolo took over on the back on the PPP election win. Their books are certainly in better shape but the club is on its knees. The board won't stand down - they will continue to make excuses and blame others.

How long will fans have to wait for success at the Eels?

I cannot see any success coming to Parramatta for another five years. Players are now baulking at signing with them. They have to build a new culture. It takes time.

How long does Kearney have left as head coach if his side keeps losing?

He will be there until the end of the season. The club can't retain him if the poor results continue. He will seek a $400,000 payout. Another coach would then cost around $350,000. Will it guarantee instant results? No.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/eels-are-paralysed-with-fear/story-e6frexnr-1226349278479

I cannot see any success coming to Parramatta for another five years.

Shows what this nuffy knows, an extra 5 years my ass, our five year plan is already in it's second year, so only 3 more years.

#JournosKnowNothing

strider

Post Whore
i worked it out. sk is suffering from 2nd year syndrome.

i now forgive him.

go sk

yeah but if u suffer 2nd year syndrome you traditionally get:
a) hated by the fans [DONE]
b) banished to reserve grade
c) pissed off to another club

Gronk

Staff member
Will the board take responsibility for on-field struggles and stand down?

We were promised the world when chairman Roy Spagnolo took over on the back on the PPP election win. Their books are certainly in better shape but the club is on its knees. The board won't stand down - they will continue to make excuses and blame others.
This is exactly what the Three Amigos have been doing for months.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
You know what, I'm tired of all the excuses, and even more tired of all the excuse makers. It's about time somebody started taking responsibility for what's going on.
I'm pretty angry about this as you can probably tell.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
all the questions have pretty obvious answers but nothing to do with the headline

another rubbish article from Ritchie

Tony Bongo

Bench
He got the questions from someone on the other site on the premise that he would supply answers the fans had to questions the board hadn't answered. So what does he do - answers them himself :lol:
I could see what this goose was up to from a mile away so I didn't even reply to the thread. Anyway Dean thanks for giving us the heads up - I guess there's no need for the AGM anymore.

87eelman

Juniors
This is the one reason as to why i refuse to bag kearney and his plans for our club.

This place has been a rabble for a long time, and i am sick to death of seeing our juniors represent other clubs. The problem with people is they expect results and they expect them instantly. Unfortunately the way the club was positioned, when SK came on board it was never going to be an easy fix, nor a quick one.

We need to draw the line somewhere and say ok, we are gonna rebuild this club into what it should be. And we will do that by nurturing one of the most successful junior nurseries in rugby league. The approach Kearney is taking is one i feel will set us up for sustained success in the future. And the proof is in the pudding with the broncos, and the work nolan did up there with them. Bellamy took some time to instill what the storm have today also. I mean lets face it when you are building a house you cant put the roof on first. The foundation for us will be our juniors, an approach i applaud.

We also need to understand that such a process will take time. And i mentioned this in one of my original posts man utd became a powerhouse after 7 years of mediocrity under fergie. They showed patience in his values and his vision, and the rest is history. Face it we are a rebuilding team, and it will take time.

Last year when we performed for the full 80 minutes for 90% of our games noone complained! Why? Because we were performing.

This is the main issue at hand, and that is the way in which the current crop are performing. And i'm sure SK knows this. You can only get away with the rebuilding plan and junior focus as long as you are putting in decent performances week in week out and we simply arent doing that. And to be honest for 90% of this season they have been an embarrassment to watch. They lack mental toughness, and seem to have no motivation at all. Kearney needs to find a fix and fast, because i for one, fear that we will lose a great coach with a great plan for our club, if the results dont improve. And where would that leave us?

Back to square one.

Gronk

Staff member
It's easy to say that a club needs a culture change. Blind Freddy can see that.

It's a matter of his ability to achieve that change which is the $450K question.

So far you would have to say that he is failing.

Runaround Man

Juniors
87eelman

All people are really asking for one thing - hope. At the moment under Kearney, whether he is potentially a great coach or not, that is not happening. He does not inspire the players or the fans. Kearney was a risk and it isn't coming off. That is obvious.
Every week is a chance for the team and the coach to give us hope. We fans cling to anything that is positive about our team and performance, we are the fans after all, the devotees. But when even the devotees can't see hope or are not given anything to be proud of then really there are not many options left except change the guy directing the ship.
I smell a mutiny....

strider

Post Whore
what baffles me is that we seemed to be making progress last year - we were in games and had a good crack - but its understandable we didn't win cos we had a shit roster

but this year has gone hurtling backwards - we are all over the place .... why?

are we back to square one with the culture thing?

the front of the sports page in the SMH last Friday (or Thursday) was exactly right "Eels and Ladders" ... you climb a bit, then slide back down

Gronk

Staff member
what baffles me is that we seemed to be making progress last year - we were in games and had a good crack - but its understandable we didn't win cos we had a shit roster

but this year has gone hurtling backwards - we are all over the place .... why?

are we back to square one with the culture thing?

the front of the sports page in the SMH last Friday (or Thursday) was exactly right "Eels and Ladders" ... you climb a bit, then slide back down

It's Hindy's fault apparently cos he's a soft captain. :sarcasm:

born an eel

Bench
anyone who thinks we can sit back and wait for the next bunch of juniors to come through and all will be good is in for a shock. Players only have a limited career and can not afford to sit back and let 5 years of their development slide by waiting for an attitude change to restore.

A young player on the fringe of NRL selection will jump at the chance to join a competitive side if given the chance, especially with player managers in their ear highlighting the better opportunities of rep selection in a team going well.

Unless the NRL side is competitive we will still be left with the leftovers after the better performing clubs have picked the meat off the academy.