What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Gronk

Staff member
Yes. Unless they play NRL it's a fail for me.
Yes well the purple patch that Penrith are enjoying is not normal across the NRL.

I am not saying we did not fail, but let's not kid ourselves that any club could develop juniors in the quantity and quality like Penrith.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Its about quality. When was the last time we produced an ORIGIN player? Matterson had 1 game and come through close to 10yrs ago now. Do we go back to Hayne?
Moses is a Parra junior.
Penrith have in 7yrs produced Luai,Burton,Too,Edwards,Yeo,Martin,Crighton, Hopgood,Cleary.
They bought most of those guys from elsewhere. Hopgood's a Queenslander (and became an Origin player at Parramatta), Cleary is only at the club because his dad was the coach. Burton, Edwards, Yeo and Martin are from the country. External recruitment costs money.
We barely producing NRL players let alone rep level quality.
Of course we're behind, we still don't have a dedicated facility. This shit costs money and ours won't be finished until next year. James Packer bought one for Penrith eight years ago ffs:

Pazza

First Grade
External recruitment costs money.

I got to orange and back on the weekend on one tank of fuel in a 2022 mazda cx5 2.5L inline 4. Got unleaded 91 from a servo in Normanhurst for $1.83 a litre. I wouldn't say I'm highly resourced by I got enough money to make it over the mountain.

Bit seriously, we got the Hindmarsh bros, Jamie Lyon, Andrew Ryan from the bush. Did we have more money back then or better buildings??? Didnt we use to house all these kids at someone's house???

JokerEel

Coach
I got to orange and back on the weekend on one tank of fuel in a 2022 mazda cx5 2.5L inline 4. Got unleaded 91 from a servo in Normanhurst for $1.83 a litre. I wouldn't say I'm highly resourced by I got enough money to make it over the mountain.

Bit seriously, we got the Hindmarsh bros, Jamie Lyon, Andrew Ryan from the bush. Did we have more money back then or better buildings??? Didnt we use to house all these kids at someone's house???

Yeah we are poorly resourced now compared to 2000s!

I think we still have a house where our Juniors come down and stay wasn't Lebron staying down here.

Btw what happened to Lebron recently haven't seen him named anywhere

emjaycee

Coach
Yes. Unless they play NRL it's a fail for me.
I reckon our major issue is keeping them to be honest.
By my reckoning (and it is a quick glance only), there are 8 players in our squad that came through our juniors and have played NRL this year for us (Drown, Sanders, Moses, Penisini, Paulo, Blaze, Russell and Matterson).
8 others that are in the top 30 and play regular NRL somewhere else.
3 more if you include Mahoney, Marzhew and Niukore who first played U20's with us.

emjaycee

Coach
By my reckoning (and it is a quick glance only), there are 8 players in our squad that came through our juniors and have played NRL this year for us (Drown, Sanders, Moses, Penisini, Paulo, Blaze, Russell and Matterson).
3 more if you include Mahoney, Marzhew and Niukore who first played U20's with us.
Oh and thats not to say they are all quality NRL players, just that they have come through the system.

Delboy

First Grade
Oh and thats not to say they are all quality NRL players, just that they have come through the system.
The frustration is that we offer generally the same money, but don’t seem to be able to persuade them to stay. Which is strange given that most young players wil have to travel up to an another 1 hour or more each way to attend training elsewhere. I know that’s true of at least 3 players that signed elsewhere recently, I won’t name them for obvious reasons as they may come back.

Need much better communication re pathways and opportunities, something gthat we don’t seem to do well currently. Managers generally hold sway and like to place our juniors at other clubs to gain leverage there.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm not sure you can count Moses, given he left after Harold Matthews didn't he?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I think junior ‘development’ was less competitive back in the day. Head coaches still did it and only Gould and Brian Smith had mastered it. Now everyone’s doing it and even hiring the right people is super competitive.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah we are poorly resourced now compared to 2000s!

I think we still have a house where our Juniors come down and stay wasn't Lebron staying down here.

Btw what happened to Lebron recently haven't seen him named anywhere
LeBron Tuala only got media attention because of his interesting name (like Dantoray Lui) and his size. But he is too big for the modern game. I’ll be surprised if he even plays reserve grade.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, and it’s bullshit to think they left because we didn’t want them. We just didn’t want them as much as our desperate neighbours who were happy to overpay.