What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels preparing $2.1 million raid for Penrith Panthers forward Luke Lewis

spiderdan

Bench
That does seem a lot. I don't know how we're going to improve if we don't pay overs though. There's not much else our club can offer to get decent players to come here sadly. Yet if you point out that fact we're blamed of being too negative.
the problem then comes that if we do pay excessive overs it stops us being able to upgrade contracts if needed and also restricts our ability to sign other players should the chance arise.

while we may need to pay overs to get some players here but a player like lewis who, as i posted elsewhere, doesn't have enough influence over a game, isn't worth anywhere near $700k of cap space (if those numbers are true). very few players are.

spiderdan

Bench
The cap could be going up from any between 5mill and 6 next season, so 700k isn't the massive figure people are slitting their wrists over. Fact is the club needs a win and and signing this bloke definately would be one.
with a rise in the cap you also need to take into account how many players that covers (somewhere i think the number mentioned was 30 - up from 25 now), a rise in the minimum wage, plus upgrades that players may have in their current deals should there be a rise in the cap. it isn't just a case of now having extra money.

Suitman

Post Whore
What about Hayne?

IF we do sign Lewis i think it will be for a minimum 3years as I think the bloke will retire after this next contract, say 600k for 3years..
Haynes on the market next year and we will need a shit load of $ to keep him...

Will you sacrifice Hayne for Lewis?

I wouldnt.

We are stocking up our depth on the cheap so we can afford to keep Hayne and add a couple to our marquee list. Don't forget about the salary cap increase next year.

Suity

I hope we get him actually. He's a great player with at least a few years of first grade left in him and seems like a great clubman off the field too so fingers crossed we do actually manage to nab him.

I can live with paying overs because I don't think we have much of a choice.

Yep. That's fair enough. And sometimes you have to pay overs on one player to help attract others afterwards at a more reasonable price.

Gronk

Staff member
If he is just coming for the money, how does that help our culture ?

eloquentEEL

First Grade
If he is just coming for the money, how does that help our culture ?

Shows the young blokes that you can still get the big bucks if you've won a GF, been a rep stalwart in multiple positions and are captain material

#ShootForTheMoon

#NoMoonNoOvers
#PlentyOfCheapStars
#NotEveryoneCanBeCaptain

Gronk

Staff member
Do you try any less if you get a pay rise?

#Stupid comment.

I was only being a smart arse. I never bought the culture bullcrap. It was just an excuse used by those who didn't want the coach to cop the blame.

Latest posts