What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels preparing $2.1 million raid for Penrith Panthers forward Luke Lewis

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah he could be but he still is 19 takes a little longer for forwards to get used to the game..

Edge forwards are more like backs than the blokes who play in the middle.

Also, he'll be 21 next year. There will definitely be an adjustment period but even at centre there's little chance he would walk straight into first grade.

spiderdan

Bench
if this is true and consistent with the numbers thrown up in the title of this thread then i think our club has well and truly lost it, unless half of that money is in third party payments. lewis is good but he is not worth more than $300k of cap space.

Eels Dude

Coach
Despetarate times call for desperate measures. Unfortunately our club is at such a low point they have to do something to save face.

IFR33K

Coach
Despetarate times call for desperate measures. Unfortunately our club is at such a low point they have to do something to save face.

But, but, but we don't offer overs.

Gee I'm glad SK is balancing the squad real well.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
The other thing to consider is how long the deal is. If its only 2years then the high price might be worth it.

Get him in, drill some Origin attitude into us, then attract someone with a decent wage in 2014 that increases when Lewis is off contract in 2015.

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe he is? We're losing Hindmarsh and MIGHT gain Lewis.
I'm happy with that.

Suity

I'm happy with that too. TBH I think Timmy has not been the leader this year that I expected and Lewis would provide that Hindy type lead-from-the-front example.

No doubt we will need offer stupid cash to get him, but what choice do we have ? If we were still on the edge of the 8 like we were in 2010, then he'd prolly choose us without too much of a thought. Now it's pretty clear that (good proven FG) players see us as too much of a risk.

So, whatever the club do in this situation you are going to reflect on negatively?

If we sign him, it's coz we're desperate and must have paid overs. If we don't, its coz the club (SK) is so hopeless that nobody wants to play for us, or that we are so stupid that we don't make the right offer.

What do you actually want to happen with respect to Lewis?

Suitman

Post Whore
So, whatever the club do in this situation you are going to reflect on negatively?

If we sign him, it's coz we're desperate and must have paid overs. If we don't, its coz the club (SK) is so hopeless that nobody wants to play for us, or that we are so stupid that we don't make the right offer.

He doesn't give a shit about anything bar getting Kearney sacked.
And that would make him more happy then anything.
Do what I do. Ignore him.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach

I hope we get him actually. He's a great player with at least a few years of first grade left in him and seems like a great clubman off the field too so fingers crossed we do actually manage to nab him.

I can live with paying overs because I don't think we have much of a choice.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore

Firstly, we don't know if that is the figure or not, so let's not speculate on that.
Secondly, just say he brings us some much needed intensity and at the same time fills the gap left by Hindy? This rubs off on the youngsters and they start showing more confidence and aggression and apptitude?
We start to string some wins together and the confidence builds?
Then, it wouldn't matter really what we paid him as it will be money well spent.
I'm looking for positives rather than just to discount the whole scenario as another Kearney and board f**k up.
That's just me.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
That does seem a lot. I don't know how we're going to improve if we don't pay overs though. There's not much else our club can offer to get decent players to come here sadly. Yet if you point out that fact we're blamed of being too negative.

Gronk

Staff member

It's on the high side all right. But when you look at it he's a current SOO & Kangaroo forward. Based on those credentials he'd have to be worth $450k. Add an extra 30% cos we're desperate and you've got ya $700k.

E_Cantona

Juniors
Money talk was dismissed, not the value.

Love to see him at Parra, we need quality players at lukes level.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The cap could be going up from any between 5mill and 6 next season, so 700k isn't the massive figure people are slitting their wrists over. Fact is the club needs a win and and signing this bloke definately would be one.

FAT570

Juniors
Firstly, we don't know if that is the figure or not, so let's not speculate on that.
Secondly, just say he brings us some much needed intensity and at the same time fills the gap left by Hindy? This rubs off on the youngsters and they start showing more confidence and aggression and apptitude?
We start to string some wins together and the confidence builds?
Then, it wouldn't matter really what we paid him as it will be money well spent.
I'm looking for positives rather than just to discount the whole scenario as another Kearney and board f**k up.
That's just me.

Suity

What about Hayne?

IF we do sign Lewis i think it will be for a minimum 3years as I think the bloke will retire after this next contract, say 600k for 3years..
Haynes on the market next year and we will need a shit load of $ to keep him...

Will you sacrifice Hayne for Lewis?

I wouldnt.

Latest posts