What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels showed signs of being a force posting a impressive trial win

Rogue.9

Juniors
Parramatta Eels showed signs of being a force posting a impressive trial win over Wests Tigers

• By Ian McCullough
  • AAP
  • February 19, 2011 9:46PM

714114-nathan-hindmarsh.jpg

Captain courageous ... Eels captain Nathan Hindmarsh charges on Source: Mark Evans / AAP

Parramatta Eels showed signs of being a force posting a hugely impressive 30-10 NRL trial win over Wests Tigers at Campbelltown on Sunday.

On a hot and humid night in Sydney's south-west, where the mercury nudged 38 degrees pitchside, Tigers coach Tim Sheens and his opposite number Stephen Kearney started the game with virtually full-strength teams, in front of a crowd of 12,761.
Players from both sides were enjoying their first hit-outs of the season, but it was Kearney's men who looked the sharper as they raced out of the blocks.
Eels coach Kearney said he was satisfied with the performance but said he was more interested in not picking up any injuries and improving fitness than the result.
"It was an improvement on last week and on a couple of areas we identified last week that we felt we needed to improve on," Kearney said.
"I thought we did alright tonight, we were better with the footy tonight, and a lot more composed, which helped us.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

"The conditions tested our fitness tonight, we didn't come away with anything more than bumps and bruises, but I thought overall it was good hit-out."
The Eels, who flopped massively in 2010, missing the finals despite starting the season as premiership favourites, scored three tries in the opening 20 minutes to leave the Tigers shellshocked.
Jeff Robson broke the deadlock in the sixth minute after Benji Marshall deflected Daniel Mortimer's teasing kick into his path, with Casey McGuire doubling the lead five minutes later, diving over from dummy-half.
Former Brisbane and Queensland utility McGuire, who joined the Eels in the off-season after a four-year stint with Super League club Catalans Dragons, impressed from hooker, and could prove to be an astute acquisition.
The 31-year-old was at the heart of everything for the Eels, and his electric 50-metre run almost set up Jarryd Hayne, who was stopped just short of the line by a mass of white shirts.
However, that let-off was short-lived as Justin Horo added a third four-pointer, darting onto a Robson grubber-kick to score.
Hayne piled on the misery for the Sheens' side 10 minutes before the break, showing superb footwork to leave Marshall and Andrew Fifita for dead and dancing his way to the line.
Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri stopped the rot with a try in the left corner three minutes before the break, only for the Eels to grab their fifth try thanks to some brilliance from skipper Nathan Hindmarsh on the stroke of halftime.
The old warhorse raced 85-metres after picking off a Robert Lui pass, but just as his 31-year-old legs were giving way underneath him, he offloaded for Horo to grab his second try, with Luke Burt converting his fifth goal of the game.
Both sides made several changes throughout the second half, as the pace of the game slowed, with the conditions taking their toll on the players.
Tuqiri bulldozed his way over 10 minutes after the restart, with Marshall adding the extras, but it proved to be the last score of the match, as the Eels ran out comfortable winners.
Tigers skipper Robbie Farah said the was unconcerned about the result and played down Parra's performance.
"We didn't start well, but I am not going to start saying Parra or any other team are going to win the comp, they beat us in a trial,"he said.
The Tigers will take on Sydney Roosters in their final trial match next Saturday, with Parramatta meeting Penrith.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-at-campbelltown/story-fn2mcuj6-1226008709770

We played well but it was only a trial.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah it was good the guys won for confidence's sake. But as youd it's just a trial and you cannot take much out of them.

boxhead

First Grade
At least we have won a trial for once! :)

That's our first in how long? It's been a while....so definitely good for the confidence.

boxhead

First Grade
At least we have won a trial for once! :)

That's our first in how long? It's been a while....so definitely good for the confidence.

Kornstar

Coach
We won the Roosters trial in Gosford in 08 where Jarryd Hayne DESTROYED the Roosters, next night he was shot at ands the rest is well documented.

In 09 we won both the Penrith and Campbelltown trials. Hayne and Keating played in the Campbelltown trial and looked very sharp together, Finch started the season and was garbage and the rest is also well documented.

Last year we were just terrible in all the trials, no positives at all really.

Tonight was an impressive first 20 mins, lots to like but i will need to see more of it for long periods before i am believer.

Good signs but also don't know whether we were that good or the Tigers were that bad......

Benji was very good though imo.

Glenn

First Grade
Oh well I guess the sales of razor blades to slash the wrsists will be a bit slower this week.
Impressive to get the jump on them and never look threatend from there, an no injuries so all in all a good hit out. :cool:

Seccie

Juniors
best on field was casey mcguire.. very impressive..
carl webb did a hell of a lot better than what i thought.
hindy... what more can be said.
hayne was very good while he was on the park
mannah stepped up brilliantly

the heat took it's toll on the second half.. which was a very disjointed affair.
but the signs are there that the eels will be there come semi final time..
more work needed but .. they looked nicely ok tonight..

mickdo

Coach
Good to hear McGuire still has something to offer. Result means nothing... no reported injuries I take it?

Parraletic

Juniors
A good solid hit out by the boys. Very impresed with Casey Maguire. Carl Webb ran out of steam towards the end of his stint but played well. I know it was only a trial but the team looked well structured. The big test will be round 1 & who will win spots in the first 17.

Latest posts