What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels showed signs of being a force posting a impressive trial win

strider

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...se-of-what-they-can-offer-20110219-1b0kb.html

Eels show glimpse of what they can offer

Adrian Proszenko

February 20, 2011

Wests Tigers 10 Parramatta 30
tim-mannah-420x0.jpg
Held back ... Tim Mannah is tackled in the Eels trial game. Photo: Lee Besford

SOMETHING old, something new, something borrowed, something blue (and gold).
That was the story at Campbelltown Stadium last night. Parramatta unveiled their new coach, some recruits on borrowed time and some vintage football in their first trial on Australian soil. And there might just be a lasting union in the halves.
This was a chance for new recruits Chris Walker, Carl Webb and Casey McGuire to shine. All played strongly but the latter stole the show. McGuire's last game in the NRL ended with a grand final lap and premiership ring.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Four years have passed since he swapped Brisbane for baguettes but his spark from dummy half remains.
The former Catalan Dragon scored a try and made some incisive runs. He even enjoyed a stint in the halves. It will be hard to take the No.9 jersey off him on this form.
''He's looked good pretty much all summer really,'' Eels coach Stephen Kearney said of McGuire. ''We thought we'd give him a shot and start him there. He did well … Casey has always had the ability; he's played State of Origin footy. He's always been a fair footy player.
''The structure in which we're playing is helping him in that way.
''With the forward group there, playing off a Timmy Mannah play-the-ball, makes things a lot easier.''
McGuire was pleased to return to the club where his first-grade career began. ''It's good to be back playing in Australia - I really missed play in the NRL,'' he said. ''I always wanted to come back.''
The performance of the Eels halves was also noteworthy. So many questions revolve around the No.6 and No.7. Could Daniel Mortimer and Jeff Robson regain the spark that propelled the Eels to the 2009 grand final? How would they fare against the best in the business, Benji Marshall? It took only five minutes to get an answer.
Robson scored off a Mortimer grubber kick, the result of a rare fumble from, of all people, Marshall.
That moment set the tone for the evening. The kicking games of Robson and Mortimer - a weak link in a miserable 2010 campaign - were executed with surgical precision.
Of course, it helps when the forwards go forward.
The Eels pack outmuscled their Tigers counterparts and the scoreboard was constantly ticking. And Justin Horo wouldn't let the backs have all the glory, scoring two tries to hand the Eels a 30-4 advantage.
But the highlight was the sight of Nathan Hindmarsh striding out like a three-quarter. His shorts can't contain him and neither could the Tigers.
The skipper made an 85-metre dash to set up Horo's second. Tries were also scored more conventionally, with Jarryd Hayne producing a spectacular solo effort. Good signs.
Of course, it's only a trial. Tigers coach Tim Sheens won't be as upset about this loss as his last one to Kearney. But he won't want a repeat in their final hit-out against the Roosters.
Halfback Robert Lui was given some much-needed game time, Matt Utai had a run in the centres and Chris Lawrence had a short stint at five-eighth when Marshall came off with 30 minutes on the clock. Both teams finished injury free. As is the way with trials, the score will soon be forgotten. Perhaps the most pertinent figure was the crowd of 12,761.

strider

Post Whore
I don't know if its true or not cos i wasn't there, but this paragraph almost brings a tear to my eye ...

That moment set the tone for the evening. The kicking games of Robson and Mortimer - a weak link in a miserable 2010 campaign - were executed with surgical precision.

please be true :pray:

Stagger eel

Staff member
a very good solid hitout with no major injuries to report...couldn't give a sh*t with the result really.

Stagger eel

Staff member
best on field was casey mcguire.. very impressive..
carl webb did a hell of a lot better than what i thought.
hindy... what more can be said.
hayne was very good while he was on the park
mannah stepped up brilliantly

the heat took it's toll on the second half.. which was a very disjointed affair.
but the signs are there that the eels will be there come semi final time..
more work needed but .. they looked nicely ok tonight..

do you think Mannah was over shadowed by Charlie and shack??

Good to hear MacGuire had a solid game - he will be a good buy this year.

The result - good to get a win but it is more important to get combinations together.

sportive cupid

Referee
Was good to see a decent crowd out there I reckon.

With the AFL pulling a similar number in RootyHill the Westies showed that they love their footy-whatever code.

boxhead

First Grade
One of the best signs we can take out of that game is that, from all reports, our kicking game was 100% improved.
According to the person that was live-updating on the other site, the halves played like halves and controlled the game and Hayne didn't interfere.

Some very good signs there. If our halves and hooker keep the kicking efficieny up in Round 1 and onwards we have a much better chance of succeeding than without.

Stagger eel

Staff member
One of the best signs we can take out of that game is that, from all reports, our kicking game was 100% improved.
According to the person that was live-updating on the other site, the halves played like halves and controlled the game and Hayne didn't interfere.

Some very good signs there. If our halves and hooker keep the kicking efficieny up in Round 1 and onwards we have a much better chance of succeeding than without.

the spine that SK used in the first half was brilliant and dominated every facet of the game. the second half was a completely a different team and structure and while we played the best tigers side for the first 55 minutes, we still compteted well in the second half.

diab0lik

Juniors

i want to know how the long kicking game was. normally hayne takes them. who took the long kicks if he didnt interfere?

Eelogical

Referee
I am not expecting miracles this season, but I am expecting a much improved team performance than what the 2010 Eels coughed up.

Eels Dude

Coach
i want to know how the long kicking game was. normally hayne takes them. who took the long kicks if he didnt interfere?

Agreed. From highlights I've seen short kicking game looked a lot better. But neither of our halves have strong long kicking games and that's where most kicks come from. So if the defence contains our forwards which will happen most sets then you need to put a decent long kick on the end of it otherwise you're giving away too much field position.

Latest posts