What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...d-to-anz-stadium/story-e6frfgbo-1225833895561

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener moved to ANZ Stadium in massive boost for fans

* EXCLUSIVE by Phil Rothfield
* February 24, 2010 2:00PM

IN a massive boost for rugby league fans, we're hearing reports this afternoon that Parramatta is preparing to surrender its homeground advantage in round one against the Dragons to move the match to Homebush.

The game will attract around 50,000 fans instead of just 20,000 at Parramatta.

It’s a huge victory for rugby league fans who were facing a lockout.

Gronk

Staff member
Ahem, maybe Slothfield is talking tongue in cheek here considering the events of the 09 semi finals ???

Delboy

First Grade
I guess money counts, but gee if we aren't successful, it could be said we gave up a huge advantage.

Was really looking forward to parra stadium when the team ran out.

So how much is ANZ offering? they would have to compensate Parra Eels / Stadium trust.

On top of that I still haven't got my season tickets yet.... So i would not know where I'm sitting at ANZ.

The Colonel

Immortal
Parramatta to move Dragons blockbuster to Homebush
ADRIAN PROSZENKO

February 24, 2010 - 2:53PM
Ads by Google

NRL Fantasy Football

Select your Fantasy NRL teamto win the ultimate bragging rights
NRL.com/Dreamteam

Parramatta are set to surrender home-ground advantage for their blockbuster season opener against St George Illawarra, with plans to move the game to Homebush bay.
The Herald can reveal that Eels chief executive officer Paul Osborne wants the fixture moved from the 20,000-seat capacity Parramatta Stadium to ANZ Stadium, which has a capacity of 82,000.
"I want to move it," Osborne said.
"Sometimes you've got to do things that are in the best interests of the game.
"It's going to be a massive game and we want as many fans to be part of it as possible.
"It's the opening to the NRL season and the match is bigger than our individual club.
"It will be a great opportunity for the supporters of both clubs to turn up in numbers."
Had the game remained at Parramatta Stadium, tens of thousands of fans - including schoolchildren with free passes - would have been locked out from a marquee match to mark the opening of the 2010 season.
The issue came to a head the last time the teams played. The Dragons and the NRL refused to shift their semi-final against the Eels from Kogarah Oval, which has a capacity of just 18,000.

It is estimated that decision cost them 30,000 patrons and up to $1 million in revenue.

Osborne slammed the decision at the time, saying clubs could not afford to be knocking back supporters and revenue during a tough financial time for the code. Two weeks later, the Eels-Bulldogs semi-final attracted a crowd of 74,549.
"That played on my mind a bit, the fact that we criticised [the Dragons] last year," Osborne said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ns-blockbuster-to-homebush-20100224-p2n1.html

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
well crap!

So much for the first Round 1 home game in 10 years!!

Do we get one of our other ANZ games back?

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
well crap!

So much for the first Round 1 home game in 10 years!!

Do we get one of our other ANZ games back?

Could not agree more, I hope there is a big turn out for this game, I think anything under 30,000 will be totally unacceptable.