What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra NRL season opener NOT moved to ANZ Stadium

fish eel

Immortal
Disapppointing.

I got my letter and ticket during MOnday telling me how good it was to have a round 1 game at Parramatta Stadium and how long it's been since we'd had one.

I'd much rather be part of a buzzing Parramatta Stadium crowd than an ANZ crowd.

Can't compare to the Dragons match last year. It's not a finals match FFS its a regular home and away.

.-) Daneel

Juniors
You're an idiot.

Why would you want to move a game from Parra that will be sold out with 80% Eels fans to Homebush that will only be half full with 50/50 Eels and Dragons fans.

I thought Mr Osborne was quite clear as to the reasons the game is being moved. It made complete sense to me. Yes im disappointed the game wont be at Parra Stadium, particularly as my Season tickets are on half way, however, for the greater good of the game, the fans, and the consistency of mr Osborne's character, it is the right choice.

parra pete

Referee
Osborne...not Osbourne. If you need to tell someone to piss off, at least get their name right...

BTW, just because someone expresses an opinion different to mainstream, doesn't make them an idiot.

i'm sure ANZ have offered us some cash and the extra gate takings of coarse, i'm all for moving it but we'll look silly if only 25k turn up, have to get 35k+ to make it a success.
But thats easy for me to say as it makes no difference where the game is played to me it will still be on ch9 at 7:30pm live for me. Different for you season ticket holders etc.

Stagger eel

Staff member
as much as this devestates me for more reasons than one, we need to bite the bullet with decisions like these that would assist our club financially, in fact I'd go as far as saying that we need to take 4 home games there every year..

fish eel

Immortal
as much as this devestates me for more reasons than one, we need to bite the bullet with decisions like these that would assist our club financially, in fact I'd go as far as saying that we need to take 4 home games there every year..

if we wanna do that, lets be up front about it rather than write to people saying how great it is we're playing rd 1 at home only to not play at home.

born an eel

Bench
if there worried about how many people can turn up to games, move the round 5 raiders game from monday night.

pauljc26

Juniors
So how much is ANZ offering? they would have to compensate Parra Eels / Stadium trust.

On top of that I still haven't got my season tickets yet.... So i would not know where I'm sitting at ANZ.

yeah i have not gone mine yet either
i would prefer it to stay at parra stadium

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Cause $$$ win us games?
it keeps a team on the park!

Yea im not saying i like it, but i understand it.

Just wish they had made this decision before getting all parra fans so pumped up for a Round 1 at home! As fish said, it's been in the media, in letters - and now they will have to start talking about why home ground advantages don't matter! Backflip!

Overall, this is a good decision though - there will be plenty of bandwagoners (both teams) with fresh jerseys from 2009 who want to spend money on this game (tickets, food, drink, merchandise, sportstab). May as well use them for all we can while the gettin's good! :lol:

Suitman

Post Whore
Cause $$$ win us games?

Did I say that?

St George's decision not to move their semi last year bordered on the ridiculous. It was an amateur decision. The home ground advantage didn't do them any good anyway and they were hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket.
We (Parramatta) must take all necessary steps to strengthen our financial future. And as Osborne says, we have a duty to the game as a whole.
It makes no sense whatsoever to turn fans away from games.
The game is a business, and this is a business decision.

Suity

Latest posts