What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Juniors

slippery eel

Juniors
What the hell is happening there?!?!?!? How is it that Parramatta can have a large junior base that is also highly successful, but most of the players in first grade are imports?

The Eels are always competitive in the lower grades and even win competitions, but why haven't we seen the next lot of superstars???? I think our club has serious development problems!

The Colonel

Immortal
Have a look through our lower grades and a lot of our juniors are sourced from outside the Eels junior system.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think you need to ease juniors into a good competitive 1st grade team that is playing with confidence to really blood them properly.

James_Hardie

Juniors
How is Jersey Flegg going this year?

Looks like Denis won't even be able to brag about being club champions this year...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The juniors in our first grade squad:

Michael Vella
Brett Delaney
Justin Tsolous
Nathan Cayless
Jarryd Hayne
Chad Robinson
Feleti Mateo
John Williams

Thats a pretty good number of juniors, 8. 9 if u include Blake Green. Also like other clubs we recruit young players from NSW Country, Queensland, NZL.

Utey

Coach
They may not be being groomed properly for the FG step up. Flegg are quite ordinary atm.

Kornstar

Coach
Flegg are lacking props, hell what am i saying, the whole club is lacking good props!!!

Utey

Coach
True that, their forward pack is light. Especially when Hendy starts in the back row.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Kornstar said:
Flegg are lacking props, hell what am i saying, the whole club is lacking good props!!!

the props aren't going great but our backrowers are outside backs and have been like that for 2 seasons now, would Mr Reddy and Mr Jones care to explain????

The Colonel

Immortal
What sh*ts me is the two biggest props in the Flegg side start off the bench. Drop Wood, Hendy and Wright to the bench and start Mannah, Tony Williams and Poneki.

imasaint

Juniors
you get your wish colonel, wood suspended and wright will come off the bench. funny wood was your player of the match on friday. i see the forwards in flegg constantly bagged, how are the backs going? from what ive seen the forwards defend for six and then the backs drop the ball and the forwards defend for another six. try checking the tackle count and you will see what the forwards are doing. Are the tries against being scored up the centre, not usually. check the right side defence and you might have the answer to their poor form.

The Colonel

Immortal
imasaint said:
you get your wish colonel, wood suspended and wright will come off the bench. funny wood was your player of the match on friday. i see the forwards in flegg constantly bagged, how are the backs going? from what ive seen the forwards defend for six and then the backs drop the ball and the forwards defend for another six. try checking the tackle count and you will see what the forwards are doing. Are the tries against being scored up the centre, not usually. check the right side defence and you might have the answer to their poor form.

It is more an issue for me with the coach than the forwards. I'm a fan of Justin and think he is a good forward but like many of the forwards at our club suited to the second row rather than prop. I think the team gets dominated early on through a lack of size moreso in the backrow and the mobility would be better served in the latter stages of a half then the start.

The handling has been absolutely shocking at stages through most of the year.

imasaint

Juniors
i feel a little bit of luck and a win will turn this side around. How big is Tony Williams? I'm sure he will make a difference. Justin is still able to play flegg next year as is Broderick, Mannah and Poneki. Im sure they will be bigger next year and dominate. I would like to see justin play back row as he is a damaging runner wide. He did play back row for saints flegg. From what i see at the moment he is doing a lot of defence which means less running of the ball. next year will be a better indicator on this team.

The Colonel

Immortal
imasaint said:
i feel a little bit of luck and a win will turn this side around. How big is Tony Williams? I'm sure he will make a difference. Justin is still able to play flegg next year as is Broderick, Mannah and Poneki. Im sure they will be bigger next year and dominate. I would like to see justin play back row as he is a damaging runner wide. He did play back row for saints flegg. From what i see at the moment he is doing a lot of defence which means less running of the ball. next year will be a better indicator on this team.

I think a lot of the Ball players are starting to make a difference and they will benefit as the season goes on.

Pricey

Juniors
I think the Willie Tonga situation at the Eels sums up there junior development is lacking. I know he is originally from Qld but he went through the junior system with the Eels, under BS and was nothing, moves to the dogs and goes on to play for Australia. If that doesnt show something is lacking, nothing does.

slippery eel

Juniors
Pricey said:
I think the Willie Tonga situation at the Eels sums up there junior development is lacking. I know he is originally from Qld but he went through the junior system with the Eels, under BS and was nothing, moves to the dogs and goes on to play for Australia. If that doesnt show something is lacking, nothing does.

Tonga like Ryan left because of Parra's success in 2001. They couldn't make first grade on a regular basis so they left!!! 2001 was not only a bad year cause Parra lost the grand final but also because quality players left.

Bigfella

Coach
think the Willie Tonga situation at the Eels sums up there junior development is lacking. I know he is originally from Qld but he went through the junior system with the Eels, under BS and was nothing, moves to the dogs and goes on to play for Australia. If that doesnt show something is lacking, nothing does.

If he went through the junior system with the Eels and went on to play for Australia, then I would suggest it shows that there is something very much right with the process.

If we failed to get the best out of him in the top grade, or made an error in letting him go, then that is an issue with retention, not development.

There are also factors such as salary cap, and the rest of the playing roster, which should be considered.

Something is lacking allright ...

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
Pricey said:

How can you say he was nothing when he was at parra? The games he played in FG he showed how good he would be, i think everyone saw it as he did some very classy stuff, i still remember a run down the sideline when he totally outstepped an opposition player and nearly turned him inside out :lol:

Its just that we had 2 international centres in the way of him at the time, and the offer to play permanent FG at another team was enough for him to leave, if circumstances played out differently... then he would still be at parra, but get over it

Latest posts