What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
My recollection of the original plans was that the hotel was going to be built where the temporary carpark currently is (where the old Eels Store and Football Office was). But my memory is pretty shit at times.

The "proposed building" is on stadium land, not Leagues Club land so not sure it was ever going to be given over for a hotel owned by the club mate.

I only post the information I find on the net in other forums. The new location was an official release for the application for the development.
I agree with you. I'm sure the original proposal was on the other side of the leagues club, in the position you stated.
With regards your statement re the current proposal being on "stadium land", the whole complex, including the Leagues Club is on Parramatta Park trust land. It's up to the trust and the State Govt to approve it.
Why the new proposal has changed positions, I'm not really sure.

emjaycee

Coach
I only post the information I find on the net in other forums. The new location was an official release for the application for the development.
I agree with you. I'm sure the original proposal was on the other side of the leagues club, in the position you stated.
With regards your statement re the current proposal being on "stadium land", the whole complex, including the Leagues Club is on Parramatta Park trust land. It's up to the trust and the State Govt to approve it.
Why the new proposal has changed positions, I'm not really sure.

Not looking for an argument, but according to this: www.parraleagues.com.au/history the club purchased the current leagues club site in 1956 and started building in 1959. Further purchases and extensions saw the 3 story complex completed in 1964-65.

forward pass

Coach
It is all about creating a precinct with the game as the culmination of the days experience. You get there early, get a haircut if you want, grab some lunch, wander around, have a coffee, but some merch if you want, catch up with fellow supporters, have a few beers and generally enjoy the atmosphere at the venue and it's surrounds.

Then you watch the game in a state of the art stadium with online replays available on your smart phone etc. It is a day out rather than rushing out in a shit fight to watch a game with crappy facilities where you are better off watching from your lounge room.

That is the way it is done overseas - we need to do the same here. Get people off their arses and out to games.

Suitman

Post Whore
It is all about creating a precinct with the game as the culmination of the days experience. You get there early, get a haircut if you want, grab some lunch, wander around, have a coffee, but some merch if you want, catch up with fellow supporters, have a few beers and generally enjoy the atmosphere at the venue and it's surrounds.

Then you watch the game in a state of the art stadium with online replays available on your smart phone etc. It is a day out rather than rushing out in a shit fight to watch a game with crappy facilities where you are better off watching from your lounge room.

That is the way it is done overseas - we need to do the same here. Get people off their arses and out to games.

Exactly. And that is why places like Brookvale, Kogarah, Leichhardt and Campbelltown are still currently shit holes.
We have been lucky to have the state government financially support us twice over the past 30 years. It all comes down to a return on investment for them. Luckily for us, the Wanderers have come on board and more than doubled the return for the govt.
You are right. It used to just be a day of going to the footy to watch a match. Today it is much more than that. Finally, the powers that be can see that, and they can see the whole local business community also benefits from game day. Eat Street is an important part of that with regards to the Parramatta game day experience for both the Eels and Wanderers.

Suitman

Post Whore
Not looking for an argument, but according to this: www.parraleagues.com.au/history the club purchased the current leagues club site in 1956 and started building in 1959. Further purchases and extensions saw the 3 story complex completed in 1964-65.

I stand corrected re the Leagues Club site. And.....no arguments from me mate.
I still believe the Leagues Club car park area is PPT land, as is the proposed hotel site, so your initially raised issue is still valid.
I'm sure (or I would like to hope) that the people behind the proposal have done their homework on this.
They are trying to bypass local authority consent by going through the "significant development" path.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Exactly. And that is why places like Brookvale, Kogarah, Leichhardt and Campbelltown are still currently shit holes.
We have been lucky to have the state government financially support us twice over the past 30 years. It all comes down to a return on investment for them. Luckily for us, the Wanderers have come on board and more than doubled the return for the govt.
You are right. It used to just be a day of going to the footy to watch a match. Today it is much more than that. Finally, the powers that be can see that, and they can see the whole local business community also benefits from game day. Eat Street is an important part of that with regards to the Parramatta game day experience for both the Eels and Wanderers.
Is the barber in the venue or part of the surrounds? Can understand all that stuff being in the precinct rather than the stadium itself.

Suitman

Post Whore
Is the barber in the venue or part of the surrounds? Can understand all that stuff being in the precinct rather than the stadium itself.

Doesn't matter mate where the barber is.
I also get my car serviced on game day every 2nd week. The car is running like a dream.
If only the new Pirtek had a decent mechanic beside the kebab stand.
Hair cut, car service and a reasonably priced feed is my day in heaven.
Add the footy or soccer into the equation, and I'm almost orgasmic.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I go to the football to watch a game, buy a hot dog and get a hair cut. If I can do that all in the same place, it's win/win. You got a problem with that?

so you wanna see a game at WHL, I'll meet you there when we play the Barcodes

Suitman

Post Whore
so you wanna see a game at WHL, I'll meet you there when we play the Barcodes

I've been to WHL. TH vs QPR. 1996.
It was a borefest.
I've also been to St James' Park. 1998. Also a borefest vs West Ham.
Everyone always talks up what a great atmosphere the EPL has, but I've seen it better at A-League derbies.
No kidding.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Spurs have changed a fair bit since then, they weren't boring this morning

Bazal

Post Whore
Tbh I find all soccer boring. Like, I'll watch some matches with mates or especially the housemate and they'll be like "whoa this is awesome" and I just can't see it.

Yet I love Test cricket. Probably there's something wrong with me mentally. Well, I mean, apart from the obvious...