What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
Understand. I got my info off one of the random YouTubers who once said that VicCross had lift access only. That was only partially correct. All good.

Pays to do a bit more research before commenting I suppose. I'm guessing that that random youtube person would have been anti-metro. You know, the loss of drivers and guards and all that anti - "let's not advance to 21st century technology transport".

Just like the fact that all the new NIF Intercity trains have had all the new safety technology gutted at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars to the NSW taxpayer from them so as to save the jobs of guards, on the premises of safety. Go figure? Yet, just two weeks ago, a guard fell out of a Sydney train. Safety eh? And what do guards do anyway? They certainly don't guard.
They open and close doors, something a driver could do with the latest technology - seriously, it's a push of a button on a console.
Or indeed, better still, it's something passengers can do themselves, like in Victoria, a state who hasn't had guards for decades. Door operation in Victoria is actually controlled by passengers on trains that don't have guards. Passengers push a button to open doors. The driver then closes all doors when the train is leaving. This is allowed in Victoria by the same f**king union that prevents this happening in NSW. Why?

Gronk

Staff member
Pays to do a bit more research before commenting I suppose. I'm guessing that that random youtube person would have been anti-metro. You know, the loss of drivers and guards and all that anti - "let's not advance to 21st century technology transport".

Just like the fact that all the new NIF Intercity trains have had all the new safety technology gutted at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars to the NSW taxpayer from them so as to save the jobs of guards, on the premises of safety. Go figure? Yet, just two weeks ago, a guard fell out of a Sydney train. Safety eh? And what do guards do anyway? They certainly don't guard.
They open and close doors, something a driver could do with the latest technology - seriously, it's a push of a button on a console.
Or indeed, better still, it's something passengers can do themselves, like in Victoria, a state who hasn't had guards for decades. Door operation in Victoria is actually controlled by passengers on trains that don't have guards. Passengers push a button to open doors. The driver then closes all doors when the train is leaving. This is allowed in Victoria by the same f**king union that prevents this happening in NSW. Why?
No it was Paul. I just glazed over the finer details of his mention of escalators.

Suitman

Post Whore
No it was Paul. I just glazed over the finer details of his mention of escalators.

Fair enough. Clearly you must have glazed.

Paul is excellent. Does a lot of research and provides updates with reasonably accurate information. If he doesn't know something, he asks his youtubers for answers.
The video I provided from Phil is what Phil does. Not much knowledge or updated info but really great quality footage. His knowledge of trains in Sydney/ NSW is 2nd to none.

Suitman

Post Whore
Poor excuse from a Labor lacky tbh.
How about you try and explain one rule for your union mates in one state, and a set of different rules in our state?

It was a joke, joyce... even had an emoji to show the sarcasm.

But to answer your question, national Unions are typically organised into state branches, especially where the legislation governing their area of interest - as well as the decision makers for said area of interest - differ state by state.

For example, the contact details on the Union website list State Branch contacts prominently. But above them is the National Secretary's contact details, and I'm sure he'd be the best person to provide the fulsome answer to your query (should you choose to direct it to him).

Suitman

Post Whore
It was a joke, joyce... even had an emoji to show the sarcasm.

But to answer your question, national Unions are typically organised into state branches,

Yet they all have different rules. Ok. What a f**king disgrace.

So,

- The Victorian branch of the RTBU allows trains with no guards, yet the NSW branch of the same union doesn't.
- The Victorian branch of the RTBU allow passenger operated doors, but the NSW branch of the same union won't. Why?
- The Victorian branch of the RTBU allow mid door entrance to buses, but the NSW branch won't.

-The NSW branch of the RTBU kyboshed all these innovative ideas that were built into the new NIF Inter-City trains replacing the much loved V-Sets, even though the V-Sets have passenger operated doors currently.
They haven't given a f**k about the hundreds of millions of $$ that it has cost NSW taxpayers to retrograde modern new train sets with the latest technology that would have lowered OPEX, The same train sets that were given approval by the national safety authority.

All the RTBU have done is cost NSW taxpayers hundreds of millions of $ in retrograding modern trains to protect the jobs of a few guards, all on the false pretense of safety. Yet, only last week a Sydney Trains guard fell out of a Sydney train.
Safety eh?
A metro train doesn't need a guard, nor a driver either.

I would have thought that such a learned international traveler like you, that has experienced some of the best transport systems in the world, would like Sydney transport to progress in a similar vein with modern technology.
Clearly not.

The opening of the city section of the NW and CSW Metro will be a game changer for city transport, and thankfully, the grubby hands of the RTBU won't be able to get their hands on it.

I would have thought that such a learned international traveler like you, that has experienced some of the best transport systems in the world, would like Sydney transport to progress in a similar vein with modern technology.
Clearly not.
I simply made a joke, Suity. And if you're asking me about why the rail union does what it does in different states, then the only people that can answer you properly are... the rail union themselves.

I'm always glad more travel infrastructure is being built and provided... as I was when the Bondi Junction line opened, the Olympic Stadium rail loop, the Lilyfield to Central light rail, and even the North West Metro.

But I'm not so naive or partisan as to simply put the blame for every quality deficit (to be fixed) or delay (to unrealistic/unfunded project plans) on a Union, instead of just celebrating the improvements when they are operational.

forward pass

Coach
So Suity I assume only the southern entrance was open for the tour due to the main entrance being part of a construction site?

I work in North Sydney and I don’t need to tell you that this station is an incredible project. Like the city stations, the logistics of building something like this in the heart of a busy cbd are incredible. Three years ago I looked out my office window and saw the massive hole that would become Victoria Cross station.

My only beef is why they didn’t name it North Sydney Metro. To avoid confusion I guess but if you are new to Sydney and want to go to North Sydney by Metro, Victoria Cross is not helpful.

Eelogical

Referee
The thing I love about Sydney is it's haphazard layout regardless of any faults. While I love living in Brisbane there is no real comparison between the two.

Suitman

Post Whore
So Suity I assume only the southern entrance was open for the tour due to the main entrance being part of a construction site?

I work in North Sydney and I don’t need to tell you that this station is an incredible project. Like the city stations, the logistics of building something like this in the heart of a busy cbd are incredible. Three years ago I looked out my office window and saw the massive hole that would become Victoria Cross station.

My only beef is why they didn’t name it North Sydney Metro. To avoid confusion I guess but if you are new to Sydney and want to go to North Sydney by Metro, Victoria Cross is not helpful.
To answer your first assumption, yes. It was only the northern entrance that was open and yes, the southern and MAIN entrance is still completing construction.

As for the name of the station, - it is actually located exactly in the area which is regarded as Victoria Cross, and which has been named this for over 100 years. It just hasn't been or commonly known or referred to this for a long time.
I actually think it is a good idea to differentiate this new station from the Sydney Trains North Sydney named station.
It's a different line and different system.
Honestly mate, it won't take long for people to get used to all the new names of stations along this line.
Gadigal? Where is that?
Within 12 months, Gadigal will be a massively busy station and is only a block away from Town Hall.
And the new Martin Place named metro station will have underground pedestrian links to the current ST's Martin Place station, another transfer opportunity.

Gronk

Staff member
The thing I love about Sydney is it's haphazard layout regardless of any faults. While I love living in Brisbane there is no real comparison between the two.

Wait on. That YouTube merkin just said at 1:17 that the Parramatta to Hunter St (metro west) metro will be open in 2052. WTF is that right ?

Gronk

Staff member
A few days ago the Federal Court fined Bingo $30M and sentenced its former CEO Daniel Tartak 400 hours of community service for "criminal cartel" activity. They colluded with a major competitor in price fixing.

Why am I posting this ?

Bingo are in the centre of the asbestos / mulch dramas too.

The mulch came from a site operated by waste company Bingo Industries.

Bingo told the ABC the mulch it provided was clean.

"Bingo fulfilled all its obligations under the relevant regulations to provide mulch free of asbestos," a company spokesman said.

Suitman

Post Whore
Might have been 2032, but I guess it depends on who’s in government.
No. He may have said 2032. He may have said 2052. It sounds a bit like both. Accent and things.....
This guy sort of knows his stuff. He does his research. Even if he did say 2052, I'm sure he meant 2032.
Anyway, it's not a big deal.
The project is certainly a long way advanced already. 10's of km's of tunnelling have already been completed. Most station boxes have been excavated. City buildings in both Parra and the city have either been demolished or are currently being demolished.

It's a shame it has already been delayed by two years by investigations that didn't need to take place, due to a new govt trying to put their stamp on an already decent project. The delay is only going to cost more, which is what the Minns Govt always complained about while in opposition was a project that was already too expensive.
Politics, eh? Go figure.

Latest posts