What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
I've used train systems in New York London, Paris, Rome, HK, Athens...they just bloody work. I used the Sydney trains system basically all my life up until about 5 years ago where my role now includes company vehicle. I've caught the train probably 3 times in 5 years...I don't miss it all. Yes Sydney traffic can suck big time but I can try and change routes etc in the car...on the trains if something goes wrong you're f%$#$.
Remember one August night in 2018 leaving Wynyard to get to lidcombe took me 2.5hrs. Went from Wynyard to Central and then changed platforms and it was just a debacle. Was told try going via Bankstown. The board kept saying train arriving 5 or 10 mins and then it would change...no communication. Station staff had no idea.
Went and changed platforms. Got to Strathfield and then finally got to Lidcombe after about 40 mins wait at Strathfield with an absolutely packed train...
Hopefully metro and light rail will help fix the current rail system we have.
All in all it does work quite well but definitely behind other cities
There Is nothing like getting a train in Rome.

Your not sure if there strike is on with the italians, trying to make sure your on the right platform by reading the screen in Italian, being mindful of pick-pockets and most of all in 43 degree heat outside turns into a 55 degree subway underground sweating your balls off.

Suitman

Post Whore
They are definitely spending some cash on it to catch up.

From an idiots point of view though, what I dont get is how when they are planning these multi billion $ spending, they must speak to the big players who say:

“Your train system is old and shit”
“We will build you a new system side-by side the old system, but it won’t be compatible with the old. So old rigs can’t operate on new lines and visa versa”
“We are doing this because this is the new tech and it’s cheaper. Retro fitting your old system would cost double”.

Then you see that they are actually retrofitting the Sydenham to Bankstown line. So to me it’s a glimpse into the future, like how they build a four lane highway and then expand it to six or eight lanes 10/20 years later. Short term politics?

There will actually be a 12-month shutdown of that line starting between July and October 2024. Imagine the schemozzle.

So the idiot asks the question; what if you built your rolling stock to suit the existing guage etc. There is no such thing as can’t. It’s a matter of how much and practicality.

Unsure if any of that makes sense.

Edit: it seems other merkins are yelling at clouds.

Edit 2: is this true ? I’m so confused.

“And then we learn the carriages on the Western Sydney Airport line are too wide for the Metro West line, meaning passengers will need to change trains at St Marys.”
The NW/CSW Metro was set up to use the existing KV infrastructure of the previous Epping to Chatswood link, saving infrastructure building costs.
The Western Sydney Airport Metro is different because it was tendered for and is being built by different consortiums. It has different rolling stock to suit airport passengers who will be carrying luggage (therefore the carriages will have a different layout to the current metro rolling stock. The current Sydney Trains line to KS Airport, despite being convenient is an embarrassment because our standard double decker rolling stock is not suitable for an airport line. It was designed for day to day commuters, and nothing more.
And yes, the West Sydney metro from Hunter st to Westmead will be different again. Same reason as above. Different consortiums constructing the project.

What does this mean and why are people complaining about incompatibility??
It means absolutely jack shite.
Metro lines in essence are designed to be independent. Rolling stock and operating systems are not meant to be interchangable between lines. They all have their own holding yards and rolling stock. If there is a problem with one line, it does not affect any of the others, unlike on Friday, when the whole Sydney Trains system went into fail mode after some rain.
The sooner we can isolate all Sydney Trains lines, the more reliable the whole system will be.
As I said, incompatible metro lines are not an issue.
All these complaints are being raised by old fossils or union lackies who oppose metro style trains that have less seats but far higher capacity due to the driverless automation.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
The Western Sydney Airport Metro is different because it was tendered for and is being built by different consortiums. It has different rolling stock to suit airport passengers who will be carrying luggage
Yeah but doesn’t that mean we will never have an “airport train” ? I would have thought that the great international cities have unique and quick access to their airports form their CBDs.

Granted the carriages used to KS domestic and international are clunky double deckers and a family would go mad with 5 bags, but that’s fixable right ?

How does that same family get to NB ? Bespoke luggage trains don’t start until St Marys. So the same issue you raised about getting to KS, impacts passengers going to NB ?

bazza

Immortal
Yeah but doesn’t that mean we will never have an “airport train” ? I would have thought that the great international cities have unique and quick access to their airports form their CBDs.
The airport metro isn't going to the CBD from WSA - it is going to service the west
Best hope of WSA to CBD is going to be a future extension of the west metro (which would also go via Parramatta)

Gronk

Staff member
The airport metro isn't going to the CBD from WSA - it is going to service the west
Best hope of WSA to CBD is going to be a future extension of the west metro (which would also go via Parramatta)

Hard for me to get my simple brain around this. So we are not expecting any international tourist arrivals/departures at WSA whatsoever or if yes, then they will just have to work it out ? It's really all about freight and people that live in that region.

But this says

The vision

Western Sydney International will become the gateway of choice for Sydney, Australia and the world. It will be a hub for Australian and international visitors, a beacon for growing businesses and careers, and a global benchmark for air travel- proudly home in Western Sydney.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Hard for me to get my simple brain around this. So we are not expecting any international tourist arrivals/departures at WSA whatsoever or if yes, then they will just have to work it out ? It's really all about freight and people that live in that region.

But this says

The vision

Western Sydney International will become the gateway of choice for Sydney, Australia and the world. It will be a hub for Australian and international visitors, a beacon for growing businesses and careers, and a global benchmark for air travel- proudly home in Western Sydney.

So I shouldnt sell up?

bazza

Immortal

But this says

The vision

long term there could be multiple lines there
- the current metro line being built with future extension south to Macarthur and North to Schofields. Interchange would be required to get to the CBD
- Extension of yet to be built West Metro from Westmead to the WSA (would give direct trip to CBD and Parramatta - guessing about 20 min to Parra and 40 min to CBD)
- possible extension of Sydney trains from Leppington (may give a slot trip to the CBD)

Most of the lines are focussed on people living and working in the new area rather than getting international visitors to the city (which I think is fair as it will be the bulk of users)

I reckon short term though the airport is going to be budget airlines and most passengers are going to be travelling by bus/hire car/transfer pretty much like most airports around the world

"Industry groups say time and money are now so low the NSW government should resort to a cut-price road network around the forthcoming Western Sydney Airport to avoid the area becoming a white elephant when it opens in two years."

😲 Don't tell me the LNP overspent all the infrastructure money?

JokerEel

Coach
Must say the WSIA is a piss poor design like a majority of the major infrastructure builds in Sydney.

Looking forward to them building a second terminal in 20 years..

Gronk

Staff member
NSW Gov has expanded its TOP SEPP (Transport Oriented Development) to include some new stations in Sydney, Central Coast and Newcastle.

From what I understand, they beef up the station and the Council gets on board for a 400m circumference of high density housing around the new station, renovated for higher traffic.

Woy Woy ? Two single lane roads in and out. I don’t get it.