What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

You said that, not me. What happened today had nothing to do with her.
What it does show however is how antiquated the Sydney rail system is.
A bit of rain and it falls to pieces. Despite having drivers and guards.
Yet the driverless metro continues to perform faultlessly.
Thank goodness that the previous govt went down the metro path for new infrastructure. Modern technology that is more reliable. Surely even you can agree with that, putting aside your clear political allegiances?
It's a no brainer.
As much as he pisses a lot of you blokes off, one of the most accurate things Pou ever said on here was describing that POS as a dishonest actor. That is exactly what he is as evidenced by his questions about the roof over the deck (trying to engage you in conversation) and then fantasizing about winning lotto and having you do the same at his joint. LMFAO. ROTFLMFAO! I guess he'll just have to make do with the ladder for the time being.
Don't make a donation to the house with no steps (engage the prick in any way shape or form) cheers Suity.

Meanwhile, here's a shot of the PowerHouse Museum to be site holding up ok next to the flooded Parramatta River... well as at Friday afternoon at least.

1712311292141.png

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Wow. On a bright and sunny day, Sydney Trains are on fire today.

Only 8 hr delays.
It is no wonder all the carriages are nowhere near full (the green bits).
What a debacle.

1712383425547.png

For the record, the metro line is currently closed on weekends for testing on the CSW section so it can open soon. As it has been doing for weeks now.
Yet, the whole Sydney Trains section is still experiencing delays on every single metropolitan and inter-city line.

1712383825688.png

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
@Gronk
Thought this 16 minute video might be of interest to you.
It even talks in detail about that garage door pic you posted the other day.

Cool, I think I have seen it before, but good to see it again.

Ch9 went down in the bowels the other day.

Suitman

Post Whore
f**king Labor, amirite...?

No, you are not "amirite'.
It is the result of a succession of both sides of govt over 10's of decades of ignoring infrastructure.
What is different now though is that there is only one side that want to improve our decades long ignorance of improving infrastructure.
You can stay rusted on to your unionised political party all you like.
All I want is for governments of either persuasion to do the best for the state.
I will then vote accordingly.

No, you are not "amirite'.
It is the result of a succession of both sides of govt over 10's of decades of ignoring infrastructure.
No worries. It was just another joke...
What is different now though is that there is only one side that want to improve our decades long ignorance of improving infrastructure.
The side in opposition, that doesn't have to preside during the years of the economic impacts and debt that their recent infrastructure spends have created. Fair enough.
All I want is for governments of either persuasion to do the best for the state.
I will then vote accordingly.
Same here, and probably same for everyone else I'd say? It's just that some people's opinion of what is best and how to achieve it differs. Which is ok...

Suitman

Post Whore
Interesting comment from another website.

Eventually got a train south that terminated at North Sydney (the train indicator at Artarmon had been saying 1 minute for that train for at least 10 minutes and was showing nothing else at all).
Walked over to bus stop on Pacific Highway as advised by one staff member (who, to his credit, was at least yelling out there are no trains - he was the only source of information being provided by anything - the indicator boards were all blank and the Trains app was still showing the original timetabled trains but marking almost all of them as cancelled).

Massive crowd already at the bus stop of course. One nearly full bus stopped and took about 3 people. One full one sailed past. Finally one nearly empty one turned up. Anyone with half a brain cell looking at that crowd would have opened both the front and rear doors to speed up boarding. But no of course we can't do that - our lords and masters at the RTBU forbid it (it's apparently unsafe in NSW even if it's normal practice almost everywhere else in Australia and all over the planet.....). So the driver sat there while a set of people struggled painfully slowly on board through the front door only. And eventually the bus departed - still leaving a large crowd waiting. And a steady stream of people from the trains terminating at North Sydney were joining them.
At which point I gave up and actually walked from North Sydney over the harbour bridge and caught the light rail up to Town Hall, my intended destination. Was actually a very pleasant walk on what, with supreme irony, has turned out to be a lovely day weatherwise. But of course less able bodied people wouldn't have that option.

God knows what awaits me trying to get back later tonight.....

I couldn't help laughing when I read a comment in the SMH later. From someone complaining about the queues for the buses and how terrible it was the buses had been privatised so they didn't put on any extra services. Completely ignoring of course it was the NON-privatised Sydney Trains fiasco which created the situation in the first place!

The thing that really gets me when this sort of thing happens is the utterly and completely hopeless communications. Yes things go wrong and I get that you can't magically fix mechanically broken down things immediately - but what you CAN do is at least put a LOT more effort into communications to your customers.

It's of course made worse by an antiquated and ridiculously tangled up Sydney Trains network that has effectively been run for the convenience of the RTBU for most of the last 50+ years with not one iota of consideration for its passengers. This rain arrived about 3 months too soon - had the Metro been operating it would probably barely even raise a mention in the media.

Gronk

Staff member
That youtube video was only released yesterday.
Gotcha. I know that there isn’t a bottomless pit of cash in life, but the juxtaposition between the shiney new M stations and tired old T stations is going to be a bit like a homeless Dad giving away a bride at a wedding.

1712436013415.jpeg

I haven’t been able to find anything online about T4 station upgrades, well Martin Place at least. I feel like I need to turn up at midnight and give the Martin Place platforms a good gerni.

Obviously Central is looking schmick, Wynyard Station has had a lot of work and is looking good. Town Hall is abysmal.

BTW I think that no underground link between Town Hall and Gadigal is poor, but I guess it’s happening at Parramatta too. I am sure there are a solid planning reasons, however I am merely commenting from a commuter experience POV.

Suitman

Post Whore
BTW I think that no underground link between Town Hall and Gadigal is poor, but I guess it’s happening at Parramatta too. I am sure there are a solid planning reasons, however I am merely commenting from a commuter experience POV.

I agree re Town Hall/Gadigal and Parramatta.
I suppose that there are underground connections at Central and there will eventually be underground connections between new/old Martin Place to Hunter Street station and onwards to Wynyard, so no need to repeat it at Town Hall/Gadigal.
Same for Parramatta. There will be an underground interchange at Westmead. Again, no need to double up.

Soto

Bench
I've used train systems in New York London, Paris, Rome, HK, Athens...they just bloody work. I used the Sydney trains system basically all my life up until about 5 years ago where my role now includes company vehicle. I've caught the train probably 3 times in 5 years...I don't miss it all. Yes Sydney traffic can suck big time but I can try and change routes etc in the car...on the trains if something goes wrong you're f%$#$.
Remember one August night in 2018 leaving Wynyard to get to lidcombe took me 2.5hrs. Went from Wynyard to Central and then changed platforms and it was just a debacle. Was told try going via Bankstown. The board kept saying train arriving 5 or 10 mins and then it would change...no communication. Station staff had no idea.
Went and changed platforms. Got to Strathfield and then finally got to Lidcombe after about 40 mins wait at Strathfield with an absolutely packed train...
Hopefully metro and light rail will help fix the current rail system we have.
All in all it does work quite well but definitely behind other cities

Gronk

Staff member
I've used train systems in New York London, Paris, Rome, HK, Athens...they just bloody work. I used the Sydney trains system basically all my life up until about 5 years ago where my role now includes company vehicle. I've caught the train probably 3 times in 5 years...I don't miss it all. Yes Sydney traffic can suck big time but I can try and change routes etc in the car...on the trains if something goes wrong you're f%$#$.
Remember one August night in 2018 leaving Wynyard to get to lidcombe took me 2.5hrs. Went from Wynyard to Central and then changed platforms and it was just a debacle. Was told try going via Bankstown. The board kept saying train arriving 5 or 10 mins and then it would change...no communication. Station staff had no idea.
Went and changed platforms. Got to Strathfield and then finally got to Lidcombe after about 40 mins wait at Strathfield with an absolutely packed train...
Hopefully metro and light rail will help fix the current rail system we have.
All in all it does work quite well but definitely behind other cities
They are definitely spending some cash on it to catch up.

From an idiots point of view though, what I dont get is how when they are planning these multi billion $ spending, they must speak to the big players who say:

“Your train system is old and shit”
“We will build you a new system side-by side the old system, but it won’t be compatible with the old. So old rigs can’t operate on new lines and visa versa”
“We are doing this because this is the new tech and it’s cheaper. Retro fitting your old system would cost double”.

Then you see that they are actually retrofitting the Sydenham to Bankstown line. So to me it’s a glimpse into the future, like how they build a four lane highway and then expand it to six or eight lanes 10/20 years later. Short term politics?

There will actually be a 12-month shutdown of that line starting between July and October 2024. Imagine the schemozzle.

So the idiot asks the question; what if you built your rolling stock to suit the existing guage etc. There is no such thing as can’t. It’s a matter of how much and practicality.

Unsure if any of that makes sense.

Edit: it seems other merkins are yelling at clouds.

Edit 2: is this true ? I’m so confused.

“And then we learn the carriages on the Western Sydney Airport line are too wide for the Metro West line, meaning passengers will need to change trains at St Marys.”

Soto

Bench
They are definitely spending some cash on it to catch up.

From an idiots point of view though, what I dont get is how when they are planning these multi billion $ spending, they must speak to the big players who say:

“Your train system is old and shit”
“We will build you a new system side-by side the old system, but it won’t be compatible with the old. So old rigs can’t operate on new lines and visa versa”
“We are doing this because this is the new tech and it’s cheaper. Retro fitting your old system would cost double”.

Then you see that they are actually retrofitting the Sydenham to Bankstown line. So to me it’s a glimpse into the future, like how they build a four lane highway and then expand it to six or eight lanes 10/20 years later. Short term politics?

There will actually be a 12-month shutdown of that line starting between July and October 2024. Imagine the schemozzle.

So the idiot asks the question; what if you built your rolling stock to suit the existing guage etc. There is no such thing as can’t. It’s a matter of how much and practicality.

Unsure if any of that makes sense.

Edit: it seems other merkins are yelling at clouds.

Edit 2: is this true ?

“And then we learn the carriages on the Western Sydney Airport line are too wide for the Metro West line, meaning passengers will need to change trains at St Marys.”
I get the jist of what you are saying and completely agree. It's going to be an epic cluster when that line closes. And yes retro fit is all they are doing..
I still find it inconceivable that there was no vision to be build an express service from Mascot to Badger's Creek.
Going to St.Marys to change and get to the city for international visitors...wow what a fkn nightmare..
I get the cost and logistics but build it under ground...who cares if opens 5 years after the new airport opens

I’m Labor leaning but they shit me off by pushing paying blue collars more (when they are already overpaid) but then also turning off the construction pipeline because build costs are going over budget.
Yes, agree the need to curb the previous inflationary infrastructure spending at the same time as the push to somewhat rectify the wages/cost of living crisis at the same time as puts further pressure on the budget and economic system.

I think they always fear the prospect of a one-term government - and with the right-leaning mainstream media, who could blame them - and try to achieve everything in their policy agenda all at once, and usually all too fast.