What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore

5 - 6 minute headways at that time on a Sunday morning is freaking excellent.
Maybe it'll just be like that for opening day, assuming that this schedule is for opening day next Sunday when the system will be overwhelmed?

As far as I was aware, in general, it will mostly have 4 min headways during the morning and afternoon peaks during the week, 7 minutes during the day off-peak and then 10 minutes after about 10.00 pm at night.
Weekends will be 7 minutes I think.

Gronk

Staff member
Too right.
The opening of the Metro this Sunday has officially been delayed. No new opening date has been announced.
The govt has been bent over and royally screwed by the Fire Fighters Union.

That's disappointing. IIRC the accusation by the 000 crew was that they were sent into the tunnels and nobody could tell them of they were going to be hit by a train or not ?

EDIT

The Herald last week reported the planned opening was coming down to the wire because the National Rail Safety Regulator was yet to complete a number of documents and activities.

Members of the Fire Brigade Employees Union are still in discussions with Sydney Metro and the Labor government over final testing and other details. The union last week lifted an indefinite ban on members taking part in critical safety exercises which are now underway.

Delboy

First Grade
The thing is both Albo and Minns have rewarded the unions since they came in to office, and the suggestion is that a left wing govt would see strikes diminish. Doesn’t usually happen that way, as they seem to think the govt will generally give in. Hawke didn’t but he was a more centralist PM.

Suitman

Post Whore
The union last week lifted an indefinite ban on members taking part in critical safety exercises which are now underway.

Yes, a ban that delayed the testing which should have been completed by now.
They lifted it last week which did not leave enough time for it to be completed.
Well done FFU for f**king Sydney commuters, the govt that they supposedly love and the opening of the biggest infrastructure and game changing Sydney project since the Harbour Bridge opened.
All they tried to do was blackmail the State Govt into agreeing to a 24% pay rise over the next 4 years. 24%!!!
If I tried that on my customers, I'd never get any work again.

Suitman

Post Whore
Anyway, it's interesting that the headline for this story in the SMH has been steadily changing since the story broke and now says "Meltdown in train tunnel a key factor behind shelving of metro's 4 August opening". Trying to steer the narrative away from industrial action and unions no doubt.
Also interesting that the SMH story does not have comments enabled.

Meanwhile in France…

Paris Metro. Line 14 extension, (to Orly Airport no less, very useful), opening date announced late May, target date met on time? Yep!
Line 11’s extension, opening date announced in mid May, for a mid June opening date, was the target date met on time? Also yep!
I’m sorry, it’s embarrassing compared to how the French have handled their extensions to newly built Metros. The government has had so much longer than the last month to sort out any disputes with the firies.
I'm confused as to how the "meltdown" on 13 July is so significant that it has caused delays to the opening of the city extension. That meltdown happened on passenger services on SMNW...and SMNW has been operating every day since (with passengers!) It was a 2 hour shutdown on that day.

The Herald article goes on to state -

No new opening timeline has been identified but a raft of bus route changes designed to align with the new metro line will come into effect from Sunday as planned.

It will likely take several weeks for Sydney Metro - the government agency overseeing the line - to secure agreement from the National Rail Safety Regulator for the project to open, as well as allay concerns from Fire Brigade Employees Union members about safety on the new trains and in the 15.5 kilometres of tunnels.”

Lol.

It's no surprise this has been delayed and f**ked up.

I for one am happy some arbitrary opening date has been delayed in the name of safety, and ensuring everything goes smoothly on (the eventual) day one.

If more than three weeks are needed for the National Rail Safety Regulator to give the operational OK to this build (following the recent Metro failure/shut down), then it shouldn't really be a drama for anyone.

Oh look, Labor's Jo Haylen is also talking common sense... from the same SMH article.

I’m putting safety ahead of popping champagne corks,” she said. Asked when commuters would be able to use the line, the minister replied: “I’ll be back here with more information for the travelling public so that you can plan your journeys. It’s not going to be long.

Suitman

Post Whore
That's the same safety regulator that approved the new Intercity trains that the RTBU had ripped apart so they could ensure they had a guard at the back opening doors for people who could have pushed a button and opened the doors themselves, like they do in Victoria.
Ok then.

Because they're different branches of the union, negotiating with different state governments... I feel like I've explained this too you before, and provided links to websites?

The regulator is a national regulator, being asked to clear a brand new advanced infrastructure project. I'm happy that if there are any safety concerns the opening is delayed by a month or so to rectify them. (But sorry if this development spoilt your weekend plans.)

Latest posts