What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
I could probably see a justification for high speed rail between say 1 hour north of Newcastle and 1 hour south of Wollongong. But I'm not sure how much time you'd take off the trip.

Ahm, it currently takes almost 3 hours to get to Newcastle. It really should be a 45 minute trip via fast rail.

Chipmunk

Coach
Ahm, it currently takes almost 3 hours to get to Newcastle. It really should be a 45 minute trip via fast rail.
I think that's probably what they should consider first. Maybe a second line between Canberra and Sydney to facilitate that, but that would mean you would want another at least 500,000 people to live between Campbelltown and Canberra. Do people want that, and do that many people want to live there?

Chipmunk

Coach
The USA is hardly a fine example for High-Speed Rail. The rest of their rail system is a laugh to start with.
It's as bad as ours.
But that is the example you need to use, as it has comparable land mass and existing airline routes. If they can't do it in the USA with 15 times the population, then we've got no chance here. Realistically High Speed Rail between Boston and Washington seems like the perfect area for it given the population base, but where is it?

The owners of Sydney Airport have a 50 year lease that ends after 2050. They have zero intention of making less money between now and then.
Sure. But as others (Suity?) have said above, look out for them to also buy WSA once Govt has foot the initial and infrastructure bill. And then - and this may be the cynic in me - watch them gradually re-balance the spread of passenger flights to take advantage of the WSA no curfew.

Chipmunk

Coach
Sure. But as others (Suity?) have said above, look out for them to also buy WSA once Govt has foot the initial and infrastructure bill. And then - and this may be the cynic in me - watch them gradually re-balance the spread of passenger flights to take advantage of the WSA no curfew.
I think there will now be an issue with SYD attempting buy WSA with the ACCC. The offer of the Government for the initial licence, would have been an expansion of their business as there was no competition in place. Well the Government has created the competition in WSA Co Ltd, so once there is competition, the ACCC won't allow there to be a monopoly for the exact reasons you identify above. The ACCC already keeps an eye on the airports like a hawk because of their effective monopolies.

Latest posts