What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra's captaincy part of the problem?

Bazal

Post Whore
something is going on at Parra. but its been that way for a few yrs. and i think the problem lies within the management of the club

That's certainly part of the issue, there's no doubt. For example, the bloke who liased with and helped troubled players (the exact name of the role escapes me) left the club last year or the year before. Management, in their infinite wisdom, decided that they wouldn't replace him. Whether this was because Fitzy is thoroughly out of moneymaking ideas and was trying to cut costs, or simply because he's stupid, I have no idea. Maybe it was both. But not long after, our most promising halfback in many years went off the rails and left the club. Now people can say what they want about Tim Smith, but if you put him in a side that has 56 tackles in the opposition 20m zone like we did tonight and you win and win well. And that's just an example that's directly affected the footy side...never mind we're running at a multi million dollar deficit.

Pigskin

Juniors
Finch "can" play good footy and often tries really hard

but tonight he really looked slow and unimaginative ... bit like he had been on the drink this week :eek: ... oh, thats right he was on the drink with Mason and Myles

The Eels were disgraceful tonight ... and the Dragons were superb ... you'd expect the Eels to be up next week and the Dragons down ... their form is poles apart and they play each other at Parra ... how convenient for us tipsters - NOT !

Oink !

gallagher

Juniors
That's certainly part of the issue, there's no doubt. For example, the bloke who liased with and helped troubled players (the exact name of the role escapes me) left the club last year or the year before. Management, in their infinite wisdom, decided that they wouldn't replace him. Whether this was because Fitzy is thoroughly out of moneymaking ideas and was trying to cut costs, or simply because he's stupid, I have no idea. Maybe it was both. But not long after, our most promising halfback in many years went off the rails and left the club. Now people can say what they want about Tim Smith, but if you put him in a side that has 56 tackles in the opposition 20m zone like we did tonight and you win and win well. And that's just an example that's directly affected the footy side...never mind we're running at a multi million dollar deficit.
Bazal, this is related to what I've been saying about senior players. Would Smith have been more likely to listen to a 'liason officer' or another title given to a tie wearing knob head uni graduate , or a senior player about stresses and the like relating to being a high profile player?

Bazal

Post Whore
Bazal, this is related to what I've been saying about senior players. Would Smith have been more likely to listen to a 'liason officer' or another title given to a tie wearing knob head uni graduate , or a senior player about stresses and the like relating to being a high profile player?

No offence intended, mate...but how do you know what the senior players were and weren't doing for Tim Smith? And how do you know that he didn't want to talk to someone outside the team instead out of personal preference?

I can tell you, certain senior players were very supportive of Tim...

Kiki

First Grade
ive always thought that footy teams can only perform when the club has a good vibe, from the very top down to the trainers.

see i think Brownie was a good coach and the boys adored him (perhaps not scared enough of him tho), but there was so much friction between him and Dragons management the winning culture just wasnt there. not to mention all the drama with Gaz...it was so distracting.

obviously things are more stable this year and their form reflects this.

as for parra...something in the milk ain't clean.

they have so much talent but cant seem to get it together.

Steel Dragon

Bench
The best Parra have done in recent times was under Jason Taylor.

I dunno what the problem is, but I doubt it has anything to do with Cayless and Hindmarsh

gallagher

Juniors
No offence intended, mate...but how do you know what the senior players were and weren't doing for Tim Smith? And how do you know that he didn't want to talk to someone outside the team instead out of personal preference?

I can tell you, certain senior players were very supportive of Tim...
I dont know Bazal, and no offence taken.
But I would suggest that senior players/mates let that guy down, not the absense of a counsellor.
If Smith's only role model/mentor was a counsellor, then I think the senior players let down badly. I would have counted Finch and Riddell senior players at the time and they were out with him most the time. Senior players make a club, and I dont see any at Parra.

When Gould came up with his 'zero booze' theory it seemed the parra players were up in arms. Was it Finch that said during the week that some of his greatest memories as a footballer were out on the drink?

Kiki

First Grade
i dunno if u guys read Hindys blog (has one on bigblog) but i remember last year he ripped into Hayne in a big way. i was quite shocked he did it so pubicly.

dont get me wrong i LOOOOOVE Hindy and i dont think the problem at Parra is him, but perhaps that sorta stuff is indictive of of the team not being one unit.

ps ive heard the team is very much separated into islanders and skippies. dunno if its true or not but who knows

Bazal

Post Whore
I dont know Bazal, and no offence taken.
But I would suggest that senior players/mates let that guy down, not the absense of a counsellor.
If Smith's only role model/mentor was a counsellor, then I think the senior players let down badly. I would have counted Finch and Riddell senior players at the time and they were out with him most the time. Senior players make a club, and I dont see any at Parra.

When Gould came up with his 'zero booze' theory it seemed the parra players were up in arms. Was it Finch that said during the week that some of his greatest memories as a footballer were out on the drink?

And would you want to rely on some boofhead footy players if you had a real problem (eg bipolar) as Tim Smith was reportedly diagnosed with? Or a professional counsellor?

The point isn't about Tim Smith, anyway...the point is the administration of the club and their constant and often baffling staff cuts, profit losses and other such stuff ups. This was simply an example that not only affected the club but could still have long reaching effects on the footy side

Bazal

Post Whore
i dunno if u guys read Hindys blog (has one on bigblog) but i remember last year he ripped into Hayne in a big way. i was quite shocked he did it so pubicly.

dont get me wrong i LOOOOOVE Hindy and i dont think the problem at Parra is him, but perhaps that sorta stuff is indictive of of the team not being one unit.

ps ive heard the team is very much separated into islanders and skippies. dunno if its true or not but who knows

Haven't heard that rumour...I do know there was a divide between the old heads and some of the young'uns last year, haven't heard anything more about it this season.

And in regards to Hindy...I think he also ripped into Hayne in person...and fair enough too

gallagher

Juniors
And would you want to rely on some boofhead footy players if you had a real problem (eg bipolar) as Tim Smith was reportedly diagnosed with? Or a professional counsellor?

The point isn't about Tim Smith, anyway...the point is the administration of the club and their constant and often baffling staff cuts, profit losses and other such stuff ups. This was simply an example that not only affected the club but could still have long reaching effects on the footy side
Point taken.
The thread was about Cayless' captaincy, I was just pointing out the leadership should not just come down to one guy. Parra fans seem to be unable to look at Hindmarsh objectively.

Bazal

Post Whore
Point taken.
The thread was about Cayless' captaincy, I was just pointing out the leadership should not just come down to one guy. Parra fans seem to be unable to look at Hindmarsh objectively.

We do look at him objectively, for the most part. However, his leadership style isn't usually questioned because the kind of guy he is means he leads by example, more than by often hollow words. He's turned down the captaincy in the past for that reson, he's not comfortable in the role. Hindy has never been a big talker, but he does talk if you watch him and he has been known to rip in to players at times. Just because he's more of an example setter doesn't make him any less of an effective senior player

gallagher

Juniors
We do look at him objectively, for the most part. However, his leadership style isn't usually questioned because the kind of guy he is means he leads by example, more than by often hollow words. He's turned down the captaincy in the past for that reson, he's not comfortable in the role. Hindy has never been a big talker, but he does talk if you watch him and he has been known to rip in to players at times. Just because he's more of an example setter doesn't make him any less of an effective senior player
Not too many players of his age and his experience turn down the captaincy , especially a one team player. I cant think of any actually. Even rebels like Fittler matured into a great leader. I think he doesnt want the responsibility, but he owes the club.It just smells of selfishness to me. Parra need him.

Cloud9

Imagine having Hindmarsh beside you in the trenches. The gutless wonder would be waiting for you to go first because he doesn't want to take responsibility even though he's more than qualified to do so.

No thanks to dead wood.

Azkatro

First Grade

But see that's where I think a club captain has a big say on keeping his troops in line. If I'm captain of a team and I sense any kind of disunity, I pull the individuals aside and get them to sort it out and wake up to themselves. Parramatta seems to be letting these sorts of issues get way out of hand. You need a captain who the players respect and follow no matter what, to keep the egos in line.

stuke

Bench
Not too many players of his age and his experience turn down the captaincy , especially a one team player. I cant think of any actually. Even rebels like Fittler matured into a great leader. I think he doesnt want the responsibility, but he owes the club.It just smells of selfishness to me. Parra need him.

Hindy doesn't owe the club anything. he does more than enough for the team and the club in everything that he does, on and off the field. if he isn't comfortable with the role of captaincy then why should he put his hand up and take it on.

he has filled in previously when Cayless has been injured and has also held the infamous beer and pizza night...just because he doesn't aspire to the on-field role doesn't translate to him being selfish and only interested in himself.

was Mick Cronin, another relatively quite and unassuming Eels legend, selfish because he never took on the role?

btw....just how do you classify Fittler as a 'rebel'?

Meth

Staff member
I'm not sure whether Cayless is part of the problem, but it appears obvious that your coach is part of the problem- this bunch is such a great team of individuals that aren't being fused together as a unit.

Slick

Juniors
Imagine having Hindmarsh beside you in the trenches. The gutless wonder would be waiting for you to go first because he doesn't want to take responsibility even though he's more than qualified to do so.

No thanks to dead wood.

I see your point. Perhaps its time to ask Hindy again if he wants the job? Or maybe a joint captaincy with a younger player who has a long future with the club.

gallagher

Juniors
Hindy doesn't owe the club anything. he does more than enough for the team and the club in everything that he does, on and off the field. if he isn't comfortable with the role of captaincy then why should he put his hand up and take it on.

he has filled in previously when Cayless has been injured and has also held the infamous beer and pizza night...just because he doesn't aspire to the on-field role doesn't translate to him being selfish and only interested in himself.

was Mick Cronin, another relatively quite and unassuming Eels legend, selfish because he never took on the role?

btw....just how do you classify Fittler as a 'rebel'?

Was Cronin ever offered it? He played under Edge and Price, so I'm not sure its a relevant question. But I think if he was playing in 87,when they were struggling and was asked to do it he would have.
I called Fittler a rebel. maybe the wrong word. I just just pointing out that as a young bloke he was a bit of a larikin but matured into a leader. Great players do that, they dont just sit back, take it easy and hold beer and pizza nights.

Latest posts