What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra's captaincy part of the problem?

Parra needs a ruthless leader type player, who can lead by example AND ALSO by communication. It`s a soulless team with no intensity and desire. Nathan Cayless is definitely not captain material. Hindmarsh can`t help if he can`t communicate, can`t force the role on him, but every team needs a couple of ruthless bastards who won`t tolerate laziness and mediocrity from teammates.

Loudstrat

Coach
I'm not sure whether Cayless is part of the problem, but it appears obvious that your coach is part of the problem- this bunch is such a great team of individuals that aren't being fused together as a unit.

Four coaches couldn't get 'em going more than in fits and starts - you sure it's the coach?

The only way you can pin anything on Anderson is that he is still running with the team setup that Brian Smith implemented. Cayless as skipper - Hindy as defensive workhorse - other forwards playing a supportive role. Constrained halves, and no spontenaety. When Tahu was in the 4 jumper, we had spontenaety, with Inu outside, Hindy inside, Smith feeding them and Hayne bobbing up as the x factor. The result was beutiful.

Smith and Tahu are massive losses. We would also love Tony Williams as a wing option. Baffles me why Fitzy offered him $50k, and sold the farm to keep Finch on $350k. To be fair, Finch tries damn hard - I love his heart. He isn't a playmaker though. Unless Hayne or Keating step up though, Finch is the best in that role.

Anderson's direction of Mateo is a long term answer, and I reckon backrow is his best spot. He'll need tiome to develop, but once he does, he can begin to mould a new forward style for Parra. Curently, it's still Cayless and Hindmarsh, as it was when it began in 2000. Thank God for Fui. Wish other forwards would pick up, because when they do - eg against Souths, we are a top side.

On the captaincy issue - Stuke is dead right. Cronin wasn't skipper material. Price was. When Price retired, Sterling took over - and wasn't up to it. Then Kenny took over, again, fell short. All top class player - all had leadership roles at the club. Cronin's leadership of the backline onfield was brilliant. A captains job is different, though. Could never imagine the Crow firing up the guys like Price did.

Currently, as skipper, Finch is the only other option. He already has enough on his plate.

Meth

Staff member
Four coaches couldn't get 'em going more than in fits and starts - you sure it's the coach?

Sorry, I wasn't so much referring to Anderson.

I think he is a great coach- but he's only been in the job a few minutes- so you can't really judge him on the current state of the Parramatta team yet IMO

His predecessor however....

skeepe

Immortal
I think Parra's problems are something that goes beyond coaching, something deeply ingrained in the club. There's certainly enough talented players there, but they're simply not putting in week in week out.

Jarryd Hayne is an incredible talent... when he could be bothered. Krisnan Inu the same... where has the razzle dazzle that we saw a few years back when he came into grade? Was Timana Tahu a bigger part of the club than us outsiders realised?

The apparent divide between the senior players and the youngsters certainly can't help matters... Hindmarsh's public spray was not exactly a great way to promote unity within the team. Despite the work he does on the field (most of it ineffectual, but that's by the by), I honestly think he may be causing problems off it. He's always handy with a quote, and never has much good to say about the club which is sad when you think that he's a one club player.

As for the captaincy, what about that hooker, Keating? He looks like he's developing into a fine player. When the Eels were fumbling and bumbling about against the Raiders, he was getting stuck in when noone else could be bothered. I reckon the kid's a great shot in a few years.

bartman

Immortal
Hooker (Matt) Keating had a great game against the Raiders, but was poor against the Roosters and was hooked after 20 or minutes, not to return. His brother Kris went fine off the bench I thought.

But it's the lack of consistency that bothers me. Players you know are capable, that appear not to be putting in to the same extent they once did. Part of a coach's job is to get the squad of different personalities gelling to a point where they are producing their best for and with each other on the field consistently. We've used up four coaches in the last five years without really achieving this...

I have no idea what the problem is, but think there's some big heads on both sides of the old-young aussie-polynesian branches of the squad.

Skipper? Needs to be out there for 80 mins in my opinion, or you need two equals identified. Seems to be Cayless and Hindmarsh taking that on field role, with Finch doing the yabbering on behalf of them. It doesn't really work. I agree Mateo is the key in the future, but I feel he won't really come into his own leadershipwise until the other three are gone. We haven't really got anyone else.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Imagine having Hindmarsh beside you in the trenches. The gutless wonder would be waiting for you to go first because he doesn't want to take responsibility even though he's more than qualified to do so.

No thanks to dead wood.
You are a colossal f**kwit in this is your honest opinion of Hindmarsh, maybe we would be better off with you beside us in the trenches:sarcasm: I know who I would rather.

big boppa eel

Juniors
I think Parra's problems are something that goes beyond coaching, something deeply ingrained in the club. There's certainly enough talented players there, but they're simply not putting in week in week out.

Jarryd Hayne is an incredible talent... when he could be bothered. Krisnan Inu the same... where has the razzle dazzle that we saw a few years back when he came into grade? Was Timana Tahu a bigger part of the club than us outsiders realised?

The apparent divide between the senior players and the youngsters certainly can't help matters... Hindmarsh's public spray was not exactly a great way to promote unity within the team. Despite the work he does on the field (most of it ineffectual, but that's by the by), I honestly think he may be causing problems off it. He's always handy with a quote, and never has much good to say about the club which is sad when you think that he's a one club player.

As for the captaincy, what about that hooker, Keating? He looks like he's developing into a fine player. When the Eels were fumbling and bumbling about against the Raiders, he was getting stuck in when noone else could be bothered. I reckon the kid's a great shot in a few years.
Youre right mate Parra have very poor culture at the club and have had for a very long time.

Eastern Panther

Juniors
why does everyone keep saying parra has so much talent and the potential to be one of the best teams in the comp? sure hindmarsh make 50 tackles a game, but the only other players with any talent on their roster are mateo and inu (and he is pretty hot and cold).

what other parra player(s) would anyone want in their team?

donkey|rope

Juniors
Answer = Destroy & Rebuild. Look at the what the Dogs did - they cleared (and lost) a lot of talent and they look the best they have in a number of seasons for it.

The captaincy is the least of Parra's worries. The starting line up has so many blokes you'd get rid of. Not necessarily because they are bad players but because they are too comfortable, too often injured and given too many chances.

Scottey

Juniors
Don't know if the captaincy is the issue. Just look at the World Cup.

Attitude definitely. I thought Daniel Anderson might have an immediate influence over that. Maybe he just needs time, who knows.

Tom Ace

Bench
Currently, Parramatta runs hot and cold like no other team in the comp, and have done for years. When they're on, everything looks great because they have one of the most talented teams in the comp. But why they keep persisting with lazy, disinterested players is beyond my understanding.

Watching tonight's debacle got me wondering. Parramatta's only problem in my opinion is that they play like individuals. Finch might well be a good halfback but I don't think any of the players actually like him. Hayne is the laziest player I have ever seen on a football field. Mateo is a freak with the ball in his hand but just doesn't seem to want to get involved often enough. Hindmarsh never stops but he's a one man band. Fuifui does two unbelievable hitups a game and when he does, Parramatta start looking dangerous. Eric Grothe - no comment!

So my point is this. This all takes place on the field. I'm sure these guys train well, because they get picked by the coach. When you get this kind of disjointed play in the heat of battle, isn't it up to the captain to pull a team's heads together and sort sh*t out? Every time I see Parra concede, they get in their huddle and Brett Finch goes off his head. Nobody likes Brett Finch, so nobody cares.

Nathan Cayless has been Parramatta's captain for 10 odd years. Parramatta have had this problem for 10 odd years. Nobody ever looks at the captain as a potential source of weakness in rugby league. Why is that? I think if Parra had a good leader, none of this sh*t would be an issue for them. The players would rally together and follow him as a unit.

52-12
24-4
40-24
24-6

I reckon we'd be fighting you for that hot and cold tag mate

j5o6hn

Juniors
Until Parramatta gets it house in order,gets the dysfunctional board sorted, and gets rid of Fitzgerald,makes a clean start they will go nowhere

Daddycool

Juniors
A lot of valid points made. I know it doesn't help you this year, but perhaps you need a big name front rower to join next year and take over the captiancy. Much in the same way Price did at the Warriors, and Petro at Penrith.

Parramatta have terrific backs, but are a Prop, Back rower and, an entire bench short. For the time being, I would put Hayne back to fullback, Kris Keating to 5/8, Grothe to 2nd row and Burt onto the bench as utility.

Parramata do have the potential. Right now they are a bit like Manly......they're all looking at each other to make the big play. If they can lighten up and remember, playing football is supposed to be fun, they'll win plenty of matches this year.

Last edited:

Juniors
Thats just it.

Hindmarsh is, and has always been, a stats man.

He'll get you 40 tackles and 140m..... but very few of his tackles will be big hits or driving tackles getting the defence on the front foot, and even less of his runs will be anything other than 4th tackle "settlers".

He is not a gamebreaking player.

With a good team he'll be a nice toiler doing the scrappy work, but in a team that isn't performing he will never be the one to change that.

Pretty much exactly like fitzy.

Your kidding buddy...He is the best at reading the defence in broken play...That comes down to dedication and commitment...Hence a try saver and then a gamebreaker..What you have mentioned above would include fitzgibbon to a tea...