What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patrick Smith gives it to Gould

The argument is not about the size or the fairness of the cap or whether it should or shouldn't exist. That is all external to the point.

The point of the matter is, the salary cap exists and it is set at a certain level. Everyone knows this, yet the Storm deliberately broke the cap and hid its crime from the powers that be.

The merits of the cap are peripheral to the whole argument. That is an argument that Gus and Gallop can have on another occassion.

All involved in this game have agreed to be governed by the laws of the game, including the salary cap, for the good of the game.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Agree with everything in this article. People on this forum give Gus a lot of stick but i generally like him and his opinions. But in this case he is way off the mark and his agenda has become obvious to me now.

hunters

Juniors
But this guy is missing the point.
I don't think so! The point was that some within the Melbourne Storm management operated in an illegal way and that the blame for this situation should be on their head.

It is fine to argue that the salary cap needs revising or increasing or exclusions for juniors etc but until that is agreed and becomes the new laws of the game anything outside of that is unacceptable.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Rubbish.

I agree fully with the NRL's decision, including the inability of the Storm to accrue points this season.

But this guy is missing the point. The Storm didn't recruit a winning team. They signed young, unproven players with potential and made champions out of them. Success depends sooo much on coaching and team culture.

What Gould and just about everyone involved in the game (players and coaches) want is an ability for teams to RETAIN players that they made. It's not good in any way that players are made to leave a close-knit team and culture that has grown up together, because teams are not allowed to reward their players' success.

The players are not made to do anything, they choose to leave the close knit team and culture for more money.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hate to say it but Fat Pat was on the money with article, god i feel sick for saying that.

The argument is not about the size or the fairness of the cap or whether it should or shouldn't exist. That is all external to the point.

The point of the matter is, the salary cap exists and it is set at a certain level. Everyone knows this, yet the Storm deliberately broke the cap and hid its crime from the powers that be.

The merits of the cap are peripheral to the whole argument. That is an argument that Gus and Gallop can have on another occassion.

All involved in this game have agreed to be governed by the laws of the game, including the salary cap, for the good of the game.
this is the centre of the issue and for some reason gus and certain deluded storm fans can't see it; whether the cap is fair or not, all 16 teams agreed to it then 1 team chose to break that rule, and chose to hide that action from the nrl

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Which part of this article can you argue against? I don't know Patrick Smith's past work but he is spot on here.

He's the Stephen Jones of AFL 'journos'. He thinks that RL is a 'culture to despise' and the AFL is morally superior to every other sport in the world.

babyg

Juniors
I read it as he think all Victorians who follow rugby league and still support the Storm are simpletons. He is trying to get them to hate their team.

adams10ella

Juniors
A league official, during the 15 man executive link up regarding the unanimous support for galloping gall, was heard to comment in the background that the salary cap promotoes mediocrity in the game.

The whole point of the salary cap is to keep poor clubs, and lazy clubs in the competition at the expense of the other more successful clubs who do it right.

Really, in this day and age, those who put the effort in and learn, should be well regarded.

When is NSW going to understand, the game has gone outside their state, exactly what they wanted, yet, they hamper so many clubs who have shown they know how to do it right.

If the poorer clubs can't survive without poaching talent from other clubs, identifying quality young players and development, they should not be in the competition. It promotes cheating of another form. Stay lazy, buy other players other clubs have invested ALL their resources in. Good System. NOT.

Give me a break. Elite athletes are no different to anyone else. To tell them they cannot get a pay rise year after year, is bordering on moronic.

Get it together NSW, improve your clubs, and stop bleating about the superiority of Melbourne Storm. Put simply, they are the best. Have been shown to be the best, and you can't beat them, purely because you guys are lazy.

GUS HAS GOT IT RIGHT. You stick to this archaic system, and we will lose our quality rugby players, and the game will be fit for no one to watch.

Get with the programme guys.
I am not a Storm supporter, far from it, but I know the best when I see it. I want my team to aspire to the same.

A league official, during the 15 man executive link up regarding the unanimous support for galloping gall, was heard to comment in the background that the salary cap promotoes mediocrity in the game.

The whole point of the salary cap is to keep poor clubs, and lazy clubs in the competition at the expense of the other more successful clubs who do it right.

Really, in this day and age, those who put the effort in and learn, should be well regarded.

When is NSW going to understand, the game has gone outside their state, exactly what they wanted, yet, they hamper so many clubs who have shown they know how to do it right.

If the poorer clubs can't survive without poaching talent from other clubs, identifying quality young players and development, they should not be in the competition. It promotes cheating of another form. Stay lazy, buy other players other clubs have invested ALL their resources in. Good System. NOT.

Give me a break. Elite athletes are no different to anyone else. To tell them they cannot get a pay rise year after year, is bordering on moronic.

Get it together NSW, improve your clubs, and stop bleating about the superiority of Melbourne Storm. Put simply, they are the best. Have been shown to be the best, and you can't beat them, purely because you guys are lazy.

GUS HAS GOT IT RIGHT. You stick to this archaic system, and we will lose our quality rugby players, and the game will be fit for no one to watch.

Get with the programme guys.
I am not a Storm supporter, far from it, but I know the best when I see it. I want my team to aspire to the same.
thats a separate issue if waldron and the storm weren't happy with the salary cap they should have consulted the nrl or if there was no joy there get all 15 teams together and demand changes not decide we dont like this rule so we are going to ignore it and lie to the nrl about breaking it

chrisD

Coach
And then we can all start hoping media conglomerates, oil barons and Hollywood movie stars will buy our clubs. Yeah cool, can't wait. "Shame Gates didn't end up going through with the buy-out mate, you should switch support to my team, we've got the Sultan of Brunei on board, we're all set".

And then we can all start hoping media conglomerates, oil barons and Hollywood movie stars will buy our clubs. Yeah cool, can't wait. "Shame Gates didn't end up going through with the buy-out mate, you should switch support to my team, we've got the Sultan of Brunei on board, we're all set".
we're off to a good start then :D

Patrick Smith is an arrogant SOB but he is spot on...this news dominated Victoria for a number of days and the local Joe Blow is still talking about it...